JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Computer Question--Restore Points

Last night I went to restore my computer because I couldn't find IE11 in my Programs and Features on my Windows 7 to uninstall it.  Every restore point I tried, including those I created myself, wouldn't work.  It said that there was no file in local disk "C".  Could malware be causing this?  The night before I was looking at images for my background and when I clicked on one it took me to a website which infected my computer.  Microsoft Security Essentials picked it up and cleaned my computer.  Is it possible that something slipped through that my virus and malware protection didn't catch?  If it's not this, I don't know what it could be.

I no longer need to restore my computer as I did eventually figure out where IE11 was and uninstalled it.  I also turned off my system protection and then turned it back on and created a new restore point since there is way I'm going to be using any of the other restore points again after uninstalling IE11. 

I ran Rogue Killer before I went to bed and it picked up malware in my startup.  I still couldn't restore my computer after this.  I'm now scanning my computer with SUPERAntiSpyware to see if it can find the problem.  If it doesn't find anything, I don't know what else to do.  Can anyone help me please?

Edited by Iksplorer

Try going HERE  (Major Geeks) and follow the instructions for the scans for your Windows version. Then start a thread and post your results as directed. They will help you clean your machine and it is FREE.

Rogue Killer is only one of the scans they will have you run. They have helped me several times with some very difficult infections and have always been successful at cleaning up my machines.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Last night I went to restore my computer because I couldn't find IE11 in my Programs and Features on my Windows 7  

I ran Rogue Killer before I went to bed and it picked up malware in my startup.  I still couldn't restore my computer after this.  I'm now scanning my computer with SUPERAntiSpyware to see if it can find the problem.  If it doesn't find anything, I don't know what else to do.  Can anyone help me please?

Karin, I know nothing about computers online, but I was so happy to see John, a fine elder, come to your aid!post-2322-0-69257000-1387026803.gif

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

I scanned my computer with three different malware removers after Rogue Killer and they didn't find anything else.  I'm thinking that maybe the malware that Rogue Killer found corrupted my files for the restore points somehow.  I guess I'll know if that was it or not the next time I go to restore my computer.  Just to be on the safe side, I'm going to create another restore point.

Also at majorgeeks.com you will find Free standalone programs that do remove infections. Two that I personally like are Avert "Stinger", http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_stinger.html  which can be run from windows  and Kaspersky Rescue Disk  http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_rescue_disk.html  which you burn to a cd then start computer with it as 1st startup option - it runs from the cd ( called a live cd )

One more extreme method is that I use an old version backup ( GHOST - DOS based { or live cd running windows } backing up  win 7 & 8, xp - it will work while running windows )  program to backup the c: partition -and as a last resort- restore from it.

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

You need to flush your System Restore before you set new ones after removinf a virus. Here are some instructions for Windows 7. You need to specify whatever YOUR drive letter is that you want to restore - this example may use a different drive letter then yours has.

How to Disable And Enable System Restore

There are many reasons why you might need to enable or disable system restore. One worst case scenario is when your computer is infected and you run the risk of having that malware saved in System Restore. To solve this, you will need to disable system restore, reboot, scan for the problem and finally re-enable system restore. The following directions are for Windows 7 .

For Windows 7

1. Click Start
2. Right click Computer> Properties > Choose Advanced System Settings option in left menu listing.
3. Click System Protection tab
4. Then highlight the drive you wish to turn off System Restore and click Configure (Image 1)
5. Then choose Turn off system protection (Image 2)
6. Click Apply > OK

srwin7a.jpg

srwin7b.jpg

To re-enable follow steps 1 - 4 and then choose Restore system settings and previous versions of files > Apply and OK

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Qapla, on 14 Dec 2013 - 2:33 PM, said:

You need to flush your System Restore before you set new ones after removinf a virus. Here are some instructions for Windows 7. You need to specify whatever YOUR drive letter is that you want to restore - this example may use a different drive letter then yours has.

How to Disable And Enable System Restore

There are many reasons why you might need to enable or disable system restore. One worst case scenario is when your computer is infected and you run the risk of having that malware saved in System Restore. To solve this, you will need to disable system restore, reboot, scan for the problem and finally re-enable system restore. The following directions are for Windows 7 .

For Windows 7

1. Click Start

2. Right click Computer> Properties > Choose Advanced System Settings option in left menu listing.

3. Click System Protection tab

4. Then highlight the drive you wish to turn off System Restore and click Configure (Image 1)

5. Then choose Turn off system protection (Image 2)

6. Click Apply > OK

srwin7a.jpg

srwin7b.jpg

To re-enable follow steps 1 - 4 and then choose Restore system settings and previous versions of files > Apply and OK

Thanks.  I did that after Rogue Killer picked up some malware that I thought might have corrupted my files for the restore points.  Now that my computer has been thoroughly checked, I'm going to try and restore my computer with the restore point I created earlier today.