JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

New Kindle Fire

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3754 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hope I posted in the right area.

I'm shopping around for a tablet similar to the iPad but not as expensive. I don't want something too small visually or to small on the inside. ($ cheap usually means 'cheap') Will use it for meetings, service and other silimar things. I'll save my laptop for business invoicing and my games I have loaded. The Fire has a USB which is vital for me. I also am not familiar with Windows 8 and my short time spent on in left me tramatized.

That said, can someone help me through this decision. I've been shopping around but, quite frankly, all the new technology available leaves me swooning. I'm not planning to buy until at least March or April. The thought of a Fire is from a recomendation from a techy here.    

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I had a Kindle Fire, and while it was nice for reading, there were so many limitations, like Joao said, check out some of the other android tablets.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Kindle Fire is very good for multimedia or if you plan to subscribe to their services... The worst is that it hasn't the full Google market... and the new one is nothing cheap

Try to get the deal Lynn suggested here, it's the best - nothing beats the note pen!

http://jwtalk.net/forums/index.php?/topic/12994-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10.1"-Tablet---deal

It appears that the 16 GB is sold out. The 32 GB is still available for 3 more days. I have bought one of these 32 GB and two of the 16 GB Tablets. It appears to be a good deal to me and I love the easy to use aspects and versatility of the Samsung Tablet. I haven't used any others to compare with however. I haven't used it as a meat board yet but I have dropped it from 4 ft. with no dire consequences.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

It appears that the 16 GB is sold out. The 32 GB is still available for 3 more days. I have bought one of these 32 GB and two of the 16 GB Tablets. It appears to be a good deal to me and I love the easy to use aspects and versatility of the Samsung Tablet. I haven't used any others to compare with however. I haven't used it as a meat board yet but I have dropped it from 4 ft. with no dire consequences.

Lynn, this deal is not for the 2014 Edition, right?

We bought the 2014 for our daughter, and it was very pricey.  Seeing this deal irritates me now, lol.

Lynn, this deal is not for the 2014 Edition, right?

We bought the 2014 for our daughter, and it was very pricey.  Seeing this deal irritates me now, lol.

No where in the ad does it say 2014, so I am assuming it is 2013. I didn't know they had a 2013 32GB Tablet however. I love the fact that you can use an ext 64GB Micro SD card. That can hold a lot of video, books and mags.

No where in the ad does it say 2014, so I am assuming it is 2013. I didn't know they had a 2013 32GB Tablet however. I love the fact that you can use an ext 64GB Micro SD card. That can hold a lot of video, books and mags.

I didn't think it was the 2014 as that just came out, just wanted to check and see.  We bought the 2014 for my daughter.

The reviews are awesome, I am sure my daughter is gonna love hers.

We wanted to get her one that she could use a long time, and this one seemed to be one of the better ones out there.

Edited by ava

Hope I posted in the right area.

I'm shopping around for a tablet similar to the iPad but not as expensive. I don't want something too small visually or to small on the inside. ($ cheap usually means 'cheap') Will use it for meetings, service and other silimar things. I'll save my laptop for business invoicing and my games I have loaded. The Fire has a USB which is vital for me. I also am not familiar with Windows 8 and my short time spent on in left me tramatized.

That said, can someone help me through this decision. I've been shopping around but, quite frankly, all the new technology available leaves me swooning. I'm not planning to buy until at least March or April. The thought of a Fire is from a recomendation from a techy here.    

Chryl--Windows 8!!!  It is hard!  I have always used apple products and they are so easy and simple.  I have a friend who said she waould help me with the Windows 8.  We were honeslty both so frustrated we started crying then laughing in Panera Bread trying to figure that thing out.  I should have taken it back but I didn't.  I got it at Sam's/

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Chryl--Windows 8!!!  It is hard!  I have always used apple products and they are so easy and simple.  I have a friend who said she waould help me with the Windows 8.  We were honeslty both so frustrated we started crying then laughing in Panera Bread trying to figure that thing out.  I should have taken it back but I didn't.  I got it at Sam's/

I use 8.1 with a free start menu by iobit so it looks like win 7 but is faster and have option of switching to metro ( tiles ) without having it signed into ms live.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I so wish I knew what you said!

http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

Start Menu 8 is specially designed for Windows 8. It offers a perfect solution for users who work with Windows Start Menu all the time and are not accustomed to the new Metro start screen in Windows 8. This smart tool brings back both the Windows 8 start button and Windows 8 Start Menu, and offers the option to skip Metro start page, allowing users who only work on desktop to boot to Windows 8 desktop directly. It's the best Windows 8 start menu replacement.

Oh so very glad I asked.

I was told the Mac products are easier but the droid products would be easy as well as affordable. Windows 8.1 is an excellent substitute because it allows me to have the 'usual' start buttons I'm used to with 7. I have to wait till March or April, so deals today won't work. I have been to Staples to play with some of their stuff, to see how it all works. Ava, the Galaxy 10.1 was nice. I'm just so concerned about space. Is it 32 bits? And the Kindle is the 2014 or NEW one that came out in ....was it September? It's not just the reader only. BUT, I also heard it's tied in with Amazon, so does that mean I have to get my apps only from Amazon? I just wish I knew more about this stuff. I've been stuck with good money spent and totally disappointed. So I'm searching. Can anyone send more links to what they're talking about, that way I can see that particular one in a store and play with it and know what you said about it in real life

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Kindle Fire is very good for multimedia or if you plan to subscribe to their services... The worst is that it hasn't the full Google market... and the new one is nothing cheap

Try to get the deal Lynn suggested here, it's the best - nothing beats the note pen!

http://jwtalk.net/forums/index.php?/topic/12994-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10.1"-Tablet---deal

Oh man this IS a really good deal. Oh, I wonder if I could.

Lynn, is this is as good as you thought? You've had these right?I thought you said you did.

Oh man this IS a really good deal. Oh, I wonder if I could.

Lynn, is this is as good as you thought? You've had these right?I thought you said you did.

I have had two since the first week in Nov. My son and I like them very much, so I bought my wife one this past week. Groupon is very nice to deal with and I love the price and free shipping. I have bought factory refurbished products numerous times before and have not had big problems. One of five products (notebook computer) had a bad battery that was replaced free of charge.

The Kindle Fire uses Amazon apps. You can try to download other apps, but I had no success with trying to. Mine was not the new one though. In my opinion, I would go with an android system.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I can vouch for the Nexus 7 (2013). The screen is great, it's slightly narrower than the Kindle making it easier to hold in one hand. And, in Australia at least, they are cheaper than the equivalent Kindle Fire.

My only issue is with the poor volume. Don't expect to show someone a video unless you're in a really quiet room, otherwise they won't hear it.

Ok, so now next question. How often do they go on sale like they are today and tomorrow? I really want to stay on my budget plan and the 734.00 (for 2) price tag is just not fitting. Yes I could buy 1 but then he'd have his and I wouldn't and I'd be jealous! Oh I know, bad girl.

I also don't have a problem buying refirb. products from a reputable source. So I do agree that's the best thing

Tic Tock, Tic Tock......

Ok, so now next question. How often do they go on sale like they are today and tomorrow? I really want to stay on my budget plan and the 734.00 (for 2) price tag is just not fitting. Yes I could buy 1 but then he'd have his and I wouldn't and I'd be jealous! Oh I know, bad girl.

I also don't have a problem buying refirb. products from a reputable source. So I do agree that's the best thing

Tic Tock, Tic Tock......

I would not expect to see this again as the 2013 versions will be gone. In June they had a similar ad so maybe they will again this year. I would expect the 2014 version will be more as it has some improvements.

Oh rats. I'm going to have to do it aren't I. I don't need all the new gadgets so waiting for them isn't important to me. This is a really good deal from Groupon. And it's the bigger version too, more memory. Rats, I'm gonna have to do it.

Leslie, you have too really read and be patient with windows 8, download everything that it tells you too on initial setup, I messed up my first one but doing a little bit better now, I despised it at first has gotten use to it a little bit.  It is definitely more complicated than the 7, you should go ahead and upgrade to 8.1 on it.  Trial and error is all I can tell you that is how I am getting adjusted too it. :blink: