JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

T-Mobile ~ VERY Agressive!

T-Mobile in the past 6 months or so has made several aggressive moves to benefit consumers and the big 3 have had no choice but to follow with similar programs of their own. * This week they offered an unprecedented sort of buy back move/or rather have indicated to cover the total expen$e of your ETF's (early termination fee$) if you move over to their service, even offering $0 down deals on top of that! ~ They seem determined to turn the industry around to a completely CONTRACT-FREE environment here in the US (the way it is in other parts of the world) Seeking your thoughts, views and opinions regarding Magenta (T-Mobile) stepping up like this!!?? ... http://www.tmonews.com

Yep, she's the Apple smart one! *  Between Deb, some friends, and a few of these very fine JW sites, I'm "slowly" coming out of the dark ages and "trying" to become Electronically Educated (I still have a Ten-year old dumb phone - that's why I'm looking) As a matter of fact family worship night currently also includes Ten minutes of Theocratic Tablet Training for Tim!  - thanks for all your patience and help.

Edited by timpin

I think that T-Mobile is making some very wise moves.  However, I also wonder if their moves are more hype than substance though.  I know in my area their service is awful.  Just poor coverage.  ATT is better here, but Verizon is who we eventually landed on.  Verizon costs more, but has tremendous coverage, fast service, and I've never had an issue.  Verizon seems to be the most expensive, but you often get what you pay for.  T-Mobile is shaking things up, and hopefully those changes continue to soften up those companies that have better overall service, but I wonder how much of what they do is a desperate grab for market share because they have a hard time picking up the market on their own merits.  Things may be different in other areas of the US though.

I use Page Plus which operates of off Verizon Towers. I have no contract and for me it costs $12.00 per month.  250 min. 250 Text and 10 MB Data.

They have several other plans to use, but I am not much of a phone or text person so this one works for me.

I almost always have enough bars to make calls I need to make, except in our metal roof mobile home.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Their 4Q was up significantly     ...   http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/09/t-mobiles-latest-move-pay-carrier-termination-fees.aspx      ...   others are taking notice ...  http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/08/technology/tmobile/    

Edited by timpin

• 4 weeks later...

I think that T-Mobile is making some very wise moves.  However, I also wonder if their moves are more hype than substance though.  I know in my area their service is awful.  Just poor coverage.  ATT is better here, but Verizon is who we eventually landed on.  Verizon costs more, but has tremendous coverage, fast service, and I've never had an issue.  Verizon seems to be the most expensive, but you often get what you pay for.  T-Mobile is shaking things up, and hopefully those changes continue to soften up those companies that have better overall service, but I wonder how much of what they do is a desperate grab for market share because they have a hard time picking up the market on their own merits.  Things may be different in other areas of the US though.

T-mobile's aggressiveness is good, look at 2 new AT&T best ever family plan + $100 credit for new and current customers ... http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html?t...

Since we are in a "very sports oriented" area and where a famous QB went to school, I suspect T-Mobile sales will jump dramatically here with their current offers and the Superbowl commercials.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

US Cell is good here for where Lew uses it up in the woods and is reasonably priced, but we've had Verizon for a real long time. It does get the best reception. But the prices are ridiculous. When my contract is up in August I'm going with a no contract month by month thru Verizon. For 50.00 I can have unlimited talk and text, all I need. I pay a lot more than that now.

I love the thought of no contract. Lew said a contract is a safety net for Research and Development.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

In the past the "contract" was a trade-off. Most of the US Cell companies that use contracts offer low-cost or free deals on upper-line phones. Many of the "no contract" companies require that you buy the phone you want to use. The contract was to insure the cell carrier that they get their reimbursement for the cost of the phone, since the phone manufacturer charges them.

Things may be changing ... time will tell.

I know that my brother, who used to have Nextel/Sprint ended up needing to change carriers. He looked at those "low cost" deals from places like WalMart. When he took the cost of the phone and added the monthly charges for 24 months, he found that getting the free phone and the two year contract from AT&T was actually cheaper .... he went with AT&T

• 4 weeks later...

T-mobile's aggressiveness is good, look at 2 new AT&T best ever family plan + $100 credit for new and current customers ... http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html?t...

Yeah I finally get to retire my 8 year old slider, our friends just upgraded to iPhone 5S and gave me their iPhone 4 (my first smart phone) what's good about this is since I'm adding a device that I am bringing to the table, there's no contract and I still keep my $15 month deal w/AT&T's new family plan (talk about cheap,huh)   ~  if I was to upgrade to a 5S, I would have to (1) buy the phone (2) be under a contract and  (3) pay an extra $25 per month (=$40)  so yeah, I'm happy even though its an older iPhone 4.        --- going down to AT&T after service tomorrow to activate and get a sim card   .... good move?  .. thoughts?

Edited by timpin

I have been with Sprint since 1999, an we are very happy with them.  My bill is high though.  We have 4 phones on our plan, and they are smart phones.

I though would like to stop contracts.  I hate them.  

Sprint and AT&T are big in my area.  My family used T-Mobile in IL and I hated calling them, always had issues.  They eventually dropped T-Mobile

• 3 months later...

I have been with Sprint since 1999, an we are very happy with them.  My bill is high though.  We have 4 phones on our plan, and they are smart phones.

I though would like to stop contracts.  I hate them.  

Sprint and AT&T are big in my area.  My family used T-Mobile in IL and I hated calling them, always had issues.  They eventually dropped T-Mobile

In less than 6 months they've really turned it into a consumers market   -   if this merger goes through can it get even better?   ...  http://www.tmonews.com

Hey V, I'm going to call for specifics tomorrow. I need to get into a non-contract thing by August. The price looks better than what I was going to do.  

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Sprint near deal to buy T-Mobile USA for $50 billion, reports say

Sprint has reached a deal to buy T-Mobile US for about US$50 billion, according to news reports on Wednesday.

Sprint, owned by Japan's Softbank, would pay about $40 per share for T-Mobile, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter. The deal could still fall apart, the Journal warned.

Such a deal would combine the nation's third- and fourth-largest mobile operators, forming a larger rival to Verizon and AT&T but reducing the U.S. mobile market to just three major national carriers. Because of that change in the competitive lineup, the plan would probably face an uphill battle for regulatory approval.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2360100/sprint-near-deal-to-buy-tmobile-usa-for-50-billion-reports-say.html

Edited by Qapla

Hey V, I'm going to call for specifics tomorrow. I need to get into a non-contract thing by August. The price looks better than what I was going to do.  

I've been using it for 2 yrs and have had no problems. You phone has to be a Verizon phone and 3G in order to be able to use it.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Weell, V, It was an ok phone until I was running out the door Friday morning and had my hands full (I seriously need a third hand, please pray for me!) and as I tried to straighten a plant that fell over my phone tumbled into the bucket of water! I snatched it out quick and took it apart and left it on the seat to bask in the heat and sun. It works now but it has quirks it never had before. 

But before the water bath incident it was consistently freezing up or stopping or hanging up on me. I think the makers of these phones have them programmed to do this a few months before your contract is up so you'll be desperate enough to get a phone and be willing to take on the 2 year commitment. Not me, I'm holding out. If I have to watch it blink at me and need to be charged 3 times a day that's alright with me, I'm not getting "married" to Verizon again.

I do have a few questions for you, did you take your phone number with you? Did you use your own phone or did you get one of theirs? The phones are affordable and have the technology that is up to date so I thought they'd be good. I know I could "chat" with them about it but I don't want to do that just yet, I have to stay where I am for at least another month if I can. Then I can buy myself out. And do you have service where you used to? Good reception?    

You can get a good smart phone for page plus on ebay. Just type in page plus smart phone and you'll get lots to choose from. 

• 1 month later...

Since the other big 3 followed earlier this year, this could cause a further reduction in costs from them also - maybe!   ...   Hopefully we can save a little more   ... http://www.tmonews.com/2014/07/further-upcoming-t-mobile-family-plan-changes-up-to-10-lines-allowed-plus-5-mobile-internet-lines/ ... other reports seem to indicate they have improved coverage in the past 6 months too.   ... thoughts?

Here it is August and I haven't made a decision about my cell phone. I HAVE to get rid of it. It's a smart phone and expensive. I just need talk and text.

I'm dragging my feet, why oh why.....because it's ONE MORE THING I HAVE TO DO, that's why. I'm tired of so much running around chasing myself all over and never getting caught up! 

• 1 month later...

I have been thinking about a Republic Wireless phone. It is a Wifi phone that uses the Sprint network when wifi is not available. I am usually around Wifi so this could be a good deal for me to go as I am on a very tight budget. it provides "unlimited" talk/text and almost "unlimited" data. Anyone have any experience with them?

We already have a verizon pay as go $15 a month plan with a flip phone we keep for necessary communications. that we will keep. We love verizons reliability in case of emergency. This phone and plan works great for us.

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.

• 1 month later...

I have been continuing my research(my spreadsheet) and I am now leaning towards Tracfone. That way I can get some data each month without paying Republic Wireless $25 a month.

While Tracfone gives modest minutes each month(depending on plan) their minutes and data do roll over every month so I can save them for heavier usage months like when traveling to assemblies and conventions. I always get lost(yeah that starts as soon as I leave my own neighborhood) so live turn by turn access would be great.

Personal Greetings from Paul and Kathy Forgive me if I got long winded, there is just so much to share.