JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Anybody seen the new movie, "Son of God" ?

A sister asked me if I was planning to see the movie "Son of God" http://www.sonofgodmovie.com/home.html. Did any of you seen it or are you going to see it, and why?

I'm not sure I want my brain to experience a 'sensory overload' of incorrect information that I will retain.  What about you?

It's a continuation of the miniseries "The Bible" that was on the history channel.

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/12006-the-bible-history-channel/

Some of the scenes from "The Bible", the last episode of the mini series are in the new movie "Son of God"

I did watch "The Bible".  Yes, there were some inaccuracies, but watching the scenes of Jesus trial and death at the end were very realistic and very sad.

Edited by ava

For some reason I am unable to tolerate the lies or fallacies. So watching movies on the Bible just get me irritated with the world and what they believe in. I would rather read what you all got out of it and that satisfies my curiosity of the movie. So thanks for the discussion. 

For some reason I am unable to tolerate the lies or fallacies. So watching movies on the Bible just get me irritated with the world and what they believe in. I would rather read what you all got out of it and that satisfies my curiosity of the movie. So thanks for the discussion. 

:upset: makes me cranky.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Joan, 

Maybe you do, but pretend you like Kelloggs Sugar Smack's cereal. But it's so expensive you've stopped buying it. Then someone told you that you can have it, only you buy it from the rack on left of the mainstream cereals, this is where the bagged cereals are. 

So you buy it and are in great anticipation of eating because you've missed it so bad. You pour a bowl, pour in the milk and take your first bite. Oh dear, it doesn't feel crispy in your mouth like Kelloggs and it's not as sweet as Kelloggs and it gets soggy faster than Kelloggs. It's alright and edible but it just misses the mark. It's ok but not the real thing.

That's how I've explained it before. And my kids can tell you how true the analogy is, they quickly refused to eat it!    

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Yes, I did see it and I watched all of The Bible miniseries too. The movie was just like a continuation of the series. It didn't feel like a Hollywood movie. It felt like a made for TV movie, but I like that personally. It was simple. I liked it.

Yes, there were some inaccuracies. But this is the world, what can you expect? I don't understand people who get upset about other Witnesses watching movies based on the Bible. I feel it's a conscience matter. I would rather see a movie with the Bible as the subject (even with some inaccuracies) than watch any other Hollywood movie that is NOT based on the Bible. As long as were talking about a few inaccuracies and not blasphemy, then I don't mind watching. I can seperate truth from untruth and just appreciate the parts that are accurate.

It looked to me like "most" of the movie was in the mini-series, if not all of it, from the previews I saw. I rented the mini-series from my library for free, and skipped right to the life of Jesus, it all appeared to be there, the beginning of his life on earth, his ministry, and his death and resurrection, am I missing anything? Take that Roma Downey and Mark Burnett!

• 3 weeks later...

This film is the work of Roma Downey (?) and her husband. As such I have listened to interviews they have

given about the film. I think this is one of the better and more accurate films that have come out of Hollywood.

But not having the full truth obviously it is going to fall short in many places. I personally have not seen the mo-

vie so I appreciate some of the comments here.

I had the misfortune several years ago of going to see the movie "The Passion of Christ", produced by Mel

Gibson. If any of you brothers and sisters would be tempted to get this on DVD or otherwise, DO NOT DO It. The

trial and execution of Jesus is graphic beyond compare, and should make any lover of our Lord and Savior sim-

ply sick to their stomachs. It is amazing it was widely endorsed and shown in so many of Christendom's churches

considering its content, and the fact that Gibson is Catholic and that fact is manifest in how many parts are

shown throughout the picture.

But there is another reason for concern, and I even felt this as I watched the movie. I am ashamed to acknow-

ledge now that I did. But doing research on it afterward I found that Mel Gibson used as part of his inspiration

for the script a Catholic Mystic who lived at the end of the 18th century, and the beginning of the 19th. In addition

the actor Jim Cavesal, who played the role of Jesus, gained part of his inspiration for playing the role, by visiting

the Catholic shrine in Medjogorjoe, where "Mary" is supposed appearing in visions to the Catholic people. So the in-

spiration behind it is demonic through and through. It is a powerful lesson to me not to trust what I read in the media

in giving reviews of many movies, because at the time this movie was getting rave reviews in the press.

GStorrs46

GStorrs46