JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Fringed Tulip...

LeslieDean

Is this a new flower?  I had never seen it until I watched a TV program today and someone noticed this flower in a bouquet.  It was quite lovely.  I would love to be able to plant some.  I dream of the day I will have a green thumb.  In the past I have tried so hard to grow gardens (vegetables, flowers, herbs)  and has always failed!  Epical Failure!  My husband told me to just quit trying.  You can't be good at everything!  Really?  I thought you just had to follow directions and have the right weather conditions but I guess that is not so.  Neighbors gardens are huge and they share their produce.  Me?  I waste money, time and yet I feel so relaxed and hopeful when I start.  Then frustrated when nothing grows,  But hey,  I am killer at growing weeds!  Not weed.  But weeds!  Has anyone had success with the fringed tulips?

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

They are an old favorite but tulips do not naturalize as well as daffodils. You can enjoy them for a year or two, sometimes more but they soon fade out. They love a lot of humus and sterile manure below them. Mushroom compost is perfect but not available everywhere.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

In LaConner in Washington they have tulip days. Beautiful flower fields :) here is a photo of a parrot tulip. A tip don't put daffy and tulips together in a bouquet they will die. If you take a pin and put it through the the top of the neck of the tulip they won't fall over they will stand up straight. Ps don't leave the pin in ...lolPosted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is. 41:10 " I will fortify you. I will really help you. I will really keep fast hold of you with my right hand of righteousness. "

Leslie, we can plant an absolute field of tulips together in the new system. I bought a Costco bag of 'em, and have lots of pretty purple one blooming. Actually I have always wanted to find a field, and load it with daffodils.

I have lots of daffs, but, scattered here and there. Some are over 30 years old. And we live on an old home place, and down in the woods, there are daffodils, from maybe a hundred years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to go down and get one of them. There is also a rose bush down there, growing up a tree. Way up a tree.

Edited by Miss Bea

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I tried to plant flowers around our bird bath --but I can not keep our dogs out of it (not the bird bath but the area around it).  They would run and trample till there was nothing left.  Then they would bite the tops off the flowers!  I saw some elephant ears and wondered if that might work in that area.  Looks better than weeds and I tought since they are so bit it might detract the dogs.  I get so tired of people dropping off their dogs in our rural area.  It hurts to see them hungry but I just can not take on many more strays!  Five strays and our three is plenty!  Besides, they really think they are allowing us to live with them!  

That tickles me pink to think of planting flowers with you!

LeslieDean

post-571-0-34802700-1394486014.jpgI've had these. They are called Parrot tulips over here.

Mine lasted 2 years in the garden and so many shops have closed down in my town that I rarely see such bulbs for sale here now.

They come in beautiful combinations of stripey colours and frilly or fringed edges. Must see if I can get some again on the Internet.

• 4 weeks later...

i found a very unique flower for my wife: a rose lily. to describe, it looks like a white day lily, with layers of petals. you can see them at www.roselily.com.

James

Those are such beautiful flowers!  It is hard to take in all the varities of everything that Jehovah extends to us!

LeslieDean