JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Arthritis Cure?

I was listening to the radio on the way to visit my daughter a few weeks ago, and a listener rang in, updating on the progress of an arthritis cure she was trialling.   Six months ago she began taking a teaspoon of gelatin with her morning coffee and reported that it was working!!   Apparently it helps restore the cartilege in the knee.  I have that problem in my knees and one shoulder, in fact my knees crack something dreadful at times, frightens the life out of people around me. 

Last Friday I mentioned my experiment to an elderly German sister (we write letters for the NAHs) and she told me this was an old remedy.  Her mother used to put a coffee-spoonful of gelatin into her morning drink, did it all her life, and never had problems with arthritis.  The sister herself does the same thing and also has no problems, although in her 80's she's a bit wobbly on her pins.

Anyway, I thought I'd give it a try myself.  Anyone else heard of this cure?  

I found that magnetic bracelets work very well too, especially for arthritis of the fingers.   My husband used to reckon it was all hokus-pokus until his fingers became claw-like and very stiff to use.  He decided to give it a go after trying for hours to tie a large creeper along our side fence.   Within a week or so he could use his hands normally again and has never taken the bracelet off since.  He swears by the bracelet now, although they are a bit difficult to replace when the elastic snaps.    (Caution - magnetic bracelets are an absolute NO NO for pregnant women).

I have been using Flexcin for years..builds collagen and makes my hair and nails grow to!..I read that bones are strengthened by collagen too!

Did some research on Collagen:

Medical advances

Treatment for heart disease - scientists found that collagen is able to transform from its rigid form into a more flexible state and then back again. Their findings have enabled scientists to develop drugs that can reduce the risk of heart attack by preventing collagen from rupturing in arterial plaques.

Gum healing - a novel method using bovine collagen has been shown to be able to enhance gum healing, according to an article published in the journal Head & Face Medicine.5

Arthritis - A strong and stable alternative to human collagen was developed by a group of researchers at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, which could be used to treat conditions caused by collagen defects such as arthritis.6

I have rheumatoid arthritis. .. acidic food makes me far worse, a alkaline diet is best

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Hi, I had trouble with balancing my acids and akalines.  So someone recommended that I use Manuka Honey 1/2 teaspoon 1/2 hour before I ate my meals.  I did this for a couple of months and it took the acid right out and gave me back the lining in my stomach and intestines.  I just watch out that I don't eat a lot of real spicy foods.   And as for the gelatine, I went out this afternoon and saw it at the Aldi's store and bought 3 packages of it.  I mixed it with my orange juice, which I add water in it cause its so acidity.  It tastes pretty good, a little on the sweet side though!   Anything is better then suffering with arthritis, mild or really bad!

Don't know how reliable the site is but I read this, it also give some brand details:

Traditional diets are very high in gelatin. Why? Because they eat bones and cartilage regularly in the form of homemade, slow-simmered bone broths.

Since we don’t consume broth with every meal, our diets lack gelatin. Using gelatin as a protein powder is like killing two birds with one stone. Not only do you get the added protein you need, but you also get the benefits of eating more gelatin (fewer wrinkles, reduced joint pain, less cellulite)!

http://www.foodrenegade.com/gelatin-healthy-protein-powder/

That sounds like something I want to try. Gelatin, do any stores carry it? It is like Jello? Or Pudding?

I saw some at walmart just the other day and was wondering what that was used for. I am going to buy some.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

Lisa, Gelatine is used as the basic setting agent for jelly (jello in the US) and some other foods such as marshmallow.  Its a powder and your local supermarket should stock it.  Try googling it, I didnt realise how many uses it has - improves hair texture, skin and nails too.   If you have it with your coffee, put it in the cup before you pour the water, otherwise it doesn't mix properly.  Milk (cream in the US) if you use it, should be added after you've given the coffee/gelatine a good stir to completely dissolve the gelatine.   Our gelatine in Oz has no taste, but I gather some countries have a light lemony flavour.

Lisa, Gelatine is used as the basic setting agent for jelly (jello in the US) and some other foods such as marshmallow. Its a powder and your local supermarket should stock it. Try googling it, I didnt realise how many uses it has - improves hair texture, skin and nails too. If you have it with your coffee, put it in the cup before you pour the water, otherwise it doesn't mix properly. Milk (cream in the US) if you use it, should be added after you've given the coffee/gelatine a good stir to completely dissolve the gelatine. Our gelatine in Oz has no taste, but I gather some countries have a light lemony flavour.

Any ideas on this and apple cider vinegar? I searched here and can't find a thread on it. I am just starting the ACV & am wondering if there are any thoughts on it.

My father used to drink  a 50/50 mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey, with warm water every morning, but for whatever reason he did so obviously didnt work as he stuck it out for six months then stopped.   He was a sucker for every remedy he read in the newspaper or health books and spent heaps on buying all kinds of stuff, almost all of which didnt work.  There wasnt much wrong with him to start with, he was just getting old, like the rest of us. 

My father ... was a sucker for every remedy he read in the newspaper or health books and spent heaps on buying all kinds of stuff, almost all of which didnt work. There wasnt much wrong with him to start with, he was just getting old, like the rest of us.

How would your father feel about this jello cure for arthritis?

Lisa, Gelatine is used as the basic setting agent for jelly (jello in the US) and some other foods such as marshmallow.  Its a powder and your local supermarket should stock it.  Try googling it, I didnt realise how many uses it has - improves hair texture, skin and nails too.   If you have it with your coffee, put it in the cup before you pour the water, otherwise it doesn't mix properly.  Milk (cream in the US) if you use it, should be added after you've given the coffee/gelatine a good stir to completely dissolve the gelatine.   Our gelatine in Oz has no taste, but I gather some countries have a light lemony flavour.

I went to Wal Mart and I got 3 boxes of the clear Gelatine.  I used 1 package this morning after breakfast.  I must say, that I did not feel any more pain in my joints and I got some energy from it.  I just spoke to a sister in my kingdom hall and advised her to check it out herself.  Yeah, your right, you do have to stir it well if not you get these gritty grains floating in your drink if you don't mix well.  I mix it as if I had a Martini shaker!! LOL.  I've only tried it since yesterday (that one was flavored) and I can't deny it, but I feel a difference!   Its nice waking up in the morning with out a lot of pain in your joints and your able to move your fingers!!!  I couldn't open up a bottle of milk, I always had to use a rubber maid object to open it up, but now, slowly but surely, yes, I was able to twist the cap off and not have PAIN!  Thanks you dear friends in here with your cool inputs.  First time I heard of Gelatine for arthritis use.  Anything that helps even if its not a cure all.  The cure all will come in the paradise!

Actually Tony, for all his airy-fairy ideas about remedies - my father really wasnt suffering from anything at all - other than old age. Cant remember him ever visited a dentist, used to gargle with that awful Listerine every morning.  His memory was almost perfect, he could remember algebra, knew the English language inside out, quoted and wrote poetry until a year or so before he died, read avidly and his favourite tv programme was 'Everybody Loves Raymond'   (OK, so his mental state wasnt crash hot!!).  Brilliant artist but Parkinsons put paid to that about two years before he died.    He only lost it during the last two or three months of his life, didnt keep himself warm in winter and ended up with Pneumonia and, if that hadnt killed him off, the bowel cancer he had would have.  And he didnt believe he had cancer as he told everyone he had no pain, so everyone was wrong.   And one of his favourite foods was custard and jelly, which we used to have as a treat every Sunday when we were kids, but he didnt have any Arthtitis, but he wouldve eaten custard and jelly 'til it came out of his ears.    We used to have very deep and meaningless discussions (?) about the truth, and I cant wait to stand there after he's resurrected, hands on hips, nose to nose, stating slowly and very clearly that 'I told you so'.    It will have to be nose to nose too, as he was almost totally deaf (not totally, coz he could hear the phone ringing) but I'm really looking forward to looking him in the eye and his being able to hear me when I speak to him.   Thats if I'm there of course.  LOL.   Wont need gelatine then. 

Edited by Sheila

Great Lisa, I'm so glad it worked so quickly for you.  How much is in each of your boxes?   Our gelatine comes in little round 110 gram tubs, and I only have a teaspoon each morning, maybe I should up the amount.   I've been taking 2 Panadol Osteo tablets three times a day for pain relief lately (and I think the tablets are also thinning my hair, but I could be wrong) as I'd run out of Glucosamine Condroitin powder.   I'd been sprinkling a desertspoonful of that powder onto my breakfast cereal each day which is good for keeping arthritis pain at bay but I ran out and as its about $70 for a kilo, I haven't been able to replace it yet.  

And the amount you took seemed to work quickly; the amount I'm taking isnt enough as our weather is cooling for the coming winter and my finger joints and knees are beginning to ache, I'd forgotten how painful it is. 

So all up I can probably say the following are good for arthritis relief  .....................

• Glucosamine Condroitin powder (you can buy tablets but they are much more expensive), this takes about two or three weeks to kick in . 1 kilo lasts me about a year,
  • Magnetic Bracelets, and obviously
  • Gelatine in amounts larger than a teaspoon.  Maybe large doses are needed at first until it kicks in, then lower doses from then on?

I'd be interested in knowing how you get on Lisa and Karin - roll on the new system, we certainly need it.

Might it be possible that the reason he "wasn't suffering from anything at all" was because "he was a sucker for every remedy he read"? Just doing the math here. He wasn't sick and he took home remedies. Don't get me wrong, sis, you're probably right. At the same time, what you have posted could point to a different conclusion. You posted that "obviously they didn't work as he stuck it out for six months then stopped". I know a lot of people who take remedies and then stop because they are well. That's because the remedies did their job. Lol.

Hey, just having fun here. My children are inclined to say my ways are wierd and all I can do is smile inside because they can't see my logic when it is right in front of them but one day they will. They are my kids and I did teach them. One day, they are bound to catch up. So I smile ;-)

• 2 months later...

Well, dont know how you others have got on, but I cant honestly say I've improved greatly since my last post, although must admit my fingers arent as painful as they were.   I'm still taking a teaspoon of gelatine with my breakfast coffee, and have been taking one Boron tablet each day - took me about a month to finally get a bottle of them in my little hot hands.   Bought enough Boron tabs to share between my husband, myself and daughter - she reckons they gave her almost instant energy and the day started taking them my husband took our little dog for a walk around the block (wow - first time for months) so they are obviously working for them, but I cant say I feel any benefit yet.  But I'll persevere for a few more weeks.  Back onto my Glucosamin/Chondroitin powder too which definitely does help.  I have noticed that with winter coming on my knees are painful in the morning - I've put that down to being in a waterbed, which I need to sleep on due to my crook back.  A sister swears that she knows when its we're due to have heavy rain because her right hip plays up, so maybe my knees do the same thing, who knows. 

And Tony, most of my fathers health problems were just plain old age (he died 18 months ago at 87), even though he did sit-ups and press-ups every morning (he slowed down a bit towards the end, only did 20 each a day instead of the 50 he did for most of his life).    Like most of us, he just didn't want to get old and thought all the concoctions he took would slow it down.  Roll on the new system when we wont have all these health problems.

I have rheumatoid arthritis. .. acidic food makes me far worse, a alkaline diet is best

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Annie, my sibling sister, had rheumatoid arthritis, and I know of others. What I find interesting is the fact that they all have one or more allergies to some extent.

Well, dont know how you others have got on, but I cant honestly say I've improved greatly since my last post, although must admit my fingers arent as painful as they were.   I'm still taking a teaspoon of gelatine with my breakfast coffee, and have been taking one Boron tablet each day - took me about a month to finally get a bottle of them in my little hot hands.   Bought enough Boron tabs to share between my husband, myself and daughter - she reckons they gave her almost instant energy and the day started taking them my husband took our little dog for a walk around the block (wow - first time for months) so they are obviously working for them, but I cant say I feel any benefit yet.  But I'll persevere for a few more weeks.  Back onto my Glucosamin/Chondroitin powder too which definitely does help.  I have noticed that with winter coming on my knees are painful in the morning - I've put that down to being in a waterbed, which I need to sleep on due to my crook back.  A sister swears that she knows when its we're due to have heavy rain because her right hip plays up, so maybe my knees do the same thing, who knows. 

And Tony, most of my fathers health problems were just plain old age (he died 18 months ago at 87), even though he did sit-ups and press-ups every morning (he slowed down a bit towards the end, only did 20 each a day instead of the 50 he did for most of his life).    Like most of us, he just didn't want to get old and thought all the concoctions he took would slow it down.  Roll on the new system when we wont have all these health problems.

Have you tried putting curcumin in your regimen? It helps with pain and inflammation. I have also started with the serrapeptase that one of the sisters recommended in the fibro thread and I think it is helping with my joint stiffness.  

I will look into the gelatine thing. My knees have been aching the past year or so. 

One other thing that I have found works well is eating a jar of sour cherries. It has to be sour cherries. It will also help with gout. It will clean out the acid that causes the gout. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Thanks Deena, I will try and find out where I can source those two products you mentioned (do they have another name that they might go by?).

And getting back to the Boron - I saw my daughter this morning and she reckons that not only has she much more energy, but that also her skin has cleared up since starting them a few days ago - and when I had a closer look (I mean, who actually looks closely at their grown-up children when you see them almost every day !!), anyway, when I looked at her, she is right - the meds she's on had made her all spotty around her mouth area but now they've all cleared away.      So thats a double bonus for her.  Maybe my older, and much worn out body needs a bit longer before it works on me.

And Gregory I don't know about eating sour cherries, I've actually never heard of them, but I can try to locate them in a health food shop and will certainly pass your suggestion onto a couple of friends overseas who have gout.  Is gout a male thing as I don't know of any females that have/had it.  I'm not trying to start a sexist war here, its just that my father had it, my husband has had a bout of it, and two of his close cronies have it too, cant recall a female sufferer.