JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Catholic Church Makes Saints out of Recent Popes

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3643 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

The secular media is filled with the "historic news" of the Catholic Church making two new saints

out of recent Popes, John XXIII and John Paul II. Even the former Pope Benedict will be present

and celebrate Mass with Pope Francis. Something that they say has not happened in 2000 years.

What in the world is going on in the Catholic Church ? Seems like monthly Pope Francis is making

the news as he makes the Church over into his image. Would any former Catholics like to give their

perspective on what's now going on in the Catholic Church. In view of what we know will be the

ultimate outcome for all of this, what may these current developments mean in that regard ?

Also, since both John XXIII and John Paul II were very popular Popes within the Catholic Church

how may we tactfully reply to any we meet in the ministry who want to know want we think of these

events, and who are obviously carried away with the euphoria that is being experienced within

Catholicism now over it ? And just think now, there are two new saints to pray to. Take your pick

which you like best. ( Couldn't resist those last lines. The Devil made me do it ! )

GStorrs46

I was surprised to see Ratzinger there... After watching the docu Chuck posted on another thread. He was the one that shared the information on Maciel cardinal to John Paul II and he didn't a thing except honoring Maciel for two times in his 50th and 60th priesthood... I though Ratzinger resigned because he was a little better than all the garbage there...

Joao

The media is reporting that the reappearance of Benedict ( Ratzinger ) is at the urging of Pope Francis. That is part

of the reason I asked this question especially of those who were former Catholics, who are familiar with how Church

politics work. One of the big significant things shown by interviews  of current Catholics who have been interviewed

about their views on these events. They say that it allows them to really to connect, with the Church, like they have a

friend they know in heaven. And since most of these men lived in the time of many living Catholics, it looks to me like

a rather brilliant strategy to try and make a Church, that under Benedict ( Ratzinger ) as being unresponsive to their

needs, now is. This appears to be part of the over all strategy of Pope Francis. Of course what they want is a revitalized

Church that then helps them regain their lost power and authority in the world. That may set the stage for significant

events to come.

GStorrs46

Sort of strange. My husband, not in the truth, thinks there is some agenda with all the publicity the Catholic Church is receiving. They are in the news in our area a lot more then in the past. Being set up for the fall?

I want to age without sharp corners, and have an obedient heart!

I was surprised to see Ratzinger there... After watching the docu Chuck posted on another thread. He was the one that shared the information on Maciel cardinal to John Paul II and he didn't a thing except honoring Maciel for two times in his 50th and 60th priesthood... I though Ratzinger resigned because he was a little better than all the garbage there...

I'm trying to locate that documentary, do you know where it was posted?

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Thanks Chuck.

That probably gives us at some of the insight of what was involved in the historic resignsigation of Pope

Benedict ( Ratzinger- I always thought that was an interesting name). And you just don't resign from the

papacy without significant behind the scenes reasons. Clearly since Francis was made pope, he has been

trying to remake the church as being responsive to the people's needs, and working to overcome the damage

of the more  recent pedophile scandals. Besides Francis' effects to make himself appear to be the people's pope,

now with the official recognition of the Church to recognize John XXIII and John Paul II as saints it appeals to

many living Catholics for different reasons. John XXIII is the pope who called Vatican II. That council brought

about many of the modern changes in the Church, which liberal Catholics applaud. John Paul II, while on the

other hand was a conservative pope, made a name for himself by connecting to the Catholic people with his

globe trotting ways. Will this reflect part of the direction Francis now tries to take the Church ? The recognition

of these two popes surely suggests that as a real possibility. Because he can now appeal to these "saints"

as example of current "heavenly direction" for the Church. Time will tell about this, but that looks like a real

possibility to me.

GStorrs46