JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Ukraine Enacts Compulsory Military Draft

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3632 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ukraine-crisis/ukraine-enacts-compulsory-military-draft-n94906

Anyone have any information on how this will affect the Brothers there?

I gather there are about 150,000 witnesses there but how many are between 18-25, I don't know.

( Sorry, maybe I should have posted this in the News forum)

Edited by Catalyst

I did some googling and found this. It's a bit dated but I hope it's still true.

http://www.ecoi.net/local_link/197479/316388_de.html

"According to the Associate Director of the Legal Affairs Department for Watchtower of Canada in Halton Hills, Ontario, Jehovah's Witnesses have been "legally registered in Ukraine since March 30, 1992," and they "do not experience any forms of discrimination, harassment, restrictions or violence" anywhere in Ukraine (18 Feb. 2003). "

"The Watchtower's Associate Director of Legal Affairs also stated that "Jehovah's Witnesses who are conscientious objectors to military service are currently granted an alternative (non-military) service" (18 Feb. 2003)."

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

Kate,

That is an interesting post. Like all of the friends we are closely watching the events unfolding there to  see what

all this may lead to. Since Russia recently tried to ban Jehovah's witnesses there this esculation could change

a lot of things. Like our brothers in so many parts of the earth that are undergoing trials and hardships, at the very

least we can remember all of them in our prayers to Jehovah.

GStorrs46

Unfortunately often at times of upheaval and military conflicts countries recognizing Christian neutrality revoke such 'privileges' from their citizens. And this of course hits our brothers the hardest since most other religious groups do not have a problem supporting 'their country in need'. When I was freed from the mandatory military service in my home country (albeit for health reasons) it was 'only during time of peace' = principally the thought being that everyone can be drafted when the country is at war.

nd also, sadly it can happen that some ill-willed and ignorant individuals make Witnesses targets for their hatred for 'not supporting the homeland'. This is apparently still causing bitterness in Eritrea some 20 years later how Witnesses as NEUTRAL individuals did not partake in the national referendum regarding independence from Ethiopia.

As it was mentioned at one of our assemblies a couple of years ago, nationalism truly is a pest...

To this David said: “What have I done now? I was only asking a question!”

– 1 Samuel 17:29

Here in the South, USA, we still get opposition because of our neutrality. A friend was confronted with this and the man tried to get him to fight hin.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

We had our Assembly Sunday (05/04/14). Brother Lett was our guest speaker. He told the group he was leaving right after to go to the Ukraine.  He also mentioned Brother Sanderson was already on a visit in Russia.  These visits were planned over six months ago.  I couldn't help but think of two things; (1) Jehovah can see the trends of man's governments and sees to it that the encouragement is there when it is most needed. and (2) the fact that GB members go themselves to these dangerous places rather than send someone else .. The could send DO, CO, anyone ... who would question if these important Brothers stayed home to mind the store!?!  But, THEY go. Wow, what a reflection of the love Jehovah has for his people.   We are in good hands, my friends! ... We will be OK.  We will ALL be ok. 

We had our Assembly Sunday (05/04/14). Brother Lett was our guest speaker. He told the group he was leaving right after to go to the Ukraine.  He also mentioned Brother Sanderson was already on a visit in Russia.  These visits were planned over six months ago.  I couldn't help but think of two things; (1) Jehovah can see the trends of man's governments and sees to it that the encouragement is there when it is most needed. and (2) the fact that GB members go themselves to these dangerous places rather than send someone else .. The could send DO, CO, anyone ... who would question if these important Brothers stayed home to mind the store!?!  But, THEY go. Wow, what a reflection of the love Jehovah has for his people.   We are in good hands, my friends! ... We will be OK.  We will ALL be ok. 

That's awesome! Just like the apostles. Thanks so much for sharing :)

And they will indeed find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace.

That is very heartening. Wow . I never thought of it like that. Thank you for sharing that info. 

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green