JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Gas & Food prices are going going gone......awwwwwww

same here.......maybe we need to learn how to bake:raspberry:

I have decided to start baking my own once again.... just found a good recipe for brown soda, quick and no kneading :ok:

If you buy bread flour in bulk and use a bread machine it is quick, easy, and cheap to make it....and no kneading ever it does it for you so you have more time for :tea:

Yeah I have a bread machine but I find it uses lots of electricity............. :(

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have such a machine too. You put flour, yeast, water, oil and salt into it, and then it takes about 3 to 4 hours and the bread is ready. The machine does anything, kneading, raising (?), and baking. There are differnent programms, and you can only make the dough too, for pizza for example.

I have decided to start baking my own once again.... just found a good recipe for brown soda, quick and no kneading :ok:

If you buy bread flour in bulk and use a bread machine it is quick, easy, and cheap to make it....and no kneading ever it does it for you so you have more time for :tea:

Yeah I have a bread machine but I find it uses lots of electricity............. :(

I have two machines that I use often (or fairly). Maybe that is why my electricity bill is so high! :perplexed::S My mother-in-law uses them all the time though as my father-in-law won't eat store-bought bread and as they are retired and live 10 miles from the nearest corner store, I don't imagine it costs anymore than buying the bread from the store to run her machine. Personally, I just love the smell of bread baking.

sounds like this bread machine might be a monster to clean..."me no like too much work" :scooter:

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

sounds like this bread machine might be a monster to clean..."me no like too much work" :scooter:

I bake my bread the old fashioned way except I have a mixer that does the kneading, so basically,you just have to put the ingredients in and let it knead the dough, let it rise and bake it. It really is very easy and oh,so very good smelling and wonderful tasting. Here in Fairbanks, we are paying right at $4.00 a gallon for gas and more than $3.00 a gal for fuel oil. We live nine miles from town and KH so have to really watch how we spend our money since we are retired and on a fixed income. As I was growing up in Colo, I had to help my mom can fruits and vegetables. My dad had a cellar for enough fruit and vegetable to last a whole winter (my parents were just married during the depression of 1929 and they never forgot how to live on not much). Then when I married we still lived like that and we taught our three kids how to take care of themselves also. I think we will all go back to that way of life very shortly. My oldest son made a request that we write down ALL the things we knew how to do. I about passed out but I found a Readers Digest book called "Back To Basics" and I said "Here it is, Son" :)

[ I think we will all go back to that way of life very shortly. My oldest son made a request that we write down ALL the things we knew how to do. I about passed out but I found a Readers Digest book called "Back To Basics" and I said "Here it is, Son" :)

yeah, the good ole dayz......I still like watching "Little House on the Prarie"....I think we should have gone back years ago,.... it may be too late now.

i think world conditions no longer lends itself to nostalgia, the days are now too calamitous, the peace is gone....Only Jah's kingdom, can rescue mankind. for example, we could be busy planting our little garden, building log cabins, baking, canning, fishing by stream... and BOOM, someone decided to drop a bomb or start shooting innocent people for no reason........this system has ran it's course i feel....too far gone....beyond repair....

yeah, but we still have to eat i guess...back to the BREAD...lol.......(end of little tangant)

Growth Demands Change!

In this country we eat lots of brown soda bread... or brown cake as they call it... it doesn't have yeast, and is very good for you..you certainly know you have eaten it :clover::coffee:

:lol2: Must have a lot of fiber!

:D yes its also a very heavy and solid bread, it fills you up...... :) as well as being full of fibre :D :D

if anyone wants the link for it then pm me :)

You can't walk with God while holding hands with the Devil.

In this country we eat lots of brown soda bread... or brown cake as they call it... it doesn't have yeast, and is very good for you..you certainly know you have eaten it :clover::coffee:

:lol2: Must have a lot of fiber!

:D yes its also a very heavy and solid bread, it fills you up...... :) as well as being full of fibre :D :D

if anyone wants the link for it then pm me :)

do you have a pic of it as well, it's a flat bread right?

Growth Demands Change!

• 2 weeks later...

waiting for annie to post pic of brown soda bread or brown cake.......:raspberry:

Growth Demands Change!

I don't know why but I've been stumbling past this bread, I mean thread, and well ...:lol1:

I goto get me a bread machine

when i was a kid i remember this older lady making us coconut bread, it was heavy, and delicious....that seemed like many moons ago.....she recently passed she was in her 90's im sure that recipe went with her, maybe in the new world she'll remember it:boating:

Growth Demands Change!

I thought this was interesting and the reason for the spike in gas prices -

Dan Dicker, who has spent nearly three decades in the oil market, has a profoundly disturbing explanation of why the price of oil, and the gasoline that comes from the crude product, has risen so dramatically in recent months. It turns out, Dicker says, that the price has nothing to do with supply and demand for oil. It's the financial market for oil, filled with both professional speculators and amateur investors betting on poorly understood oil exchange-traded funds, who have ratcheted up the price of gas to such sky high levels.

"There is no supply issue going on here - what you have is the perception of the possibility of a supply issue," Dicker says. "A whole bunch of people are pouring money into an oil market trying to take advantage of what they perceive to be a real risk in supply. It's a marketplace that I argue should not be allowed to be wagered on like a stock or bond."

Dicker notes that Libya produces only 1.3 million barrels of oil a day, just a tiny fraction of the world oil market. Even if Libyan crude were lost to the world market in the current turmoil, and there is no sign that it is, Saudi Arabia has 5 million barrels a day to use in case of an emergency.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/hm1bs6

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

I just saw this in the paper today. A company called AIR-INC does a monthly survey of Gas prices around the world. This is the chart converted into US gallons / $ as of March 2011. Note - The US is not on there, but the article put it at $3.59 for self serve regular as an average across the US. Sorry California that yours is SOO much higher, but that it pretty close to what Las Vegas prices are -

file.php?0,file=1104,modified=1301497891,filename=Gas+Prices+March2011.JPG

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Thanks for that Jerry - very interesting.... looks like I'm moving to Venezuela then! Anyone else coming?

I have a friend who is from Venezuela and he now lives in San Jose, CA. He left because the violence there is really bad. He was explaining how President Chavez is getting even with all the portions of his country that didn't vote for him by eliminating the police forces in those areas and allowing the outlaws to do as they please. I feel sorry for our brothers and sisters there. Cars are stolen pretty regularly. So, even though Gas is cheap - yipes! Just like cheap gas in Libya - I ain't moving there either! :surrender:

Soon .....