JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Well my Laptop is dying

Going to have to take it in to have the tech guy look into it. May need a whole system reload. Im not sure whats going on with it. Just all of a sudden goes to blue screen of death. 

May not be able to be on for a few days.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

Check out your hard drive first. Do a scan disk with fix errors.  There are some good programs out there that do a better job at fixing disk errors such as SpinRite and HDD Regenerator. Then again it could be memory or some other connections came loose/ dirty or is dying. Even dust making it overheat can be the culprit.

If it is truly dying take it over to the States :gun-toot:  and have a brother put it out of your misery :pistols:(td)  

Bye the Bye. Was at the AUD this morning to watch on the big screen - the short 4 min approx. resurrection clip - part 7 of 8 of morning symposium. Was worth the hour and 1/4 drive to the AUD

Edited by pnutts

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

I'm  sorry to hear that your computer is dying.  My computer died a few weeks.   My oldest son was able to put together another computer for me using the motherboard from one of his old computers that had broken.  Was glad we had the same computer.   I really missed the Watchtower Library.  I hope you are able to get your computer fixed soon. 

Is weird. I took a couple programs out I haven't used in  a while. Did a defrag that it didn't need. Was less than 1% fragmented. Ran a ram scan program and it seems to be fine now. Hasn't crashed since I started it up this morning. Weird or what?

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritadi

If all else fails --- Play Dead Possum Lodge Moto -- Red Green

• 3 years later...
On 7/13/2014 at 3:13 PM, Greg Dent said:

Going to have to take it in to have the tech guy look into it. May need a whole system reload. Im not sure whats going on with it. Just all of a sudden goes to blue screen of death. 

May not be able to be on for a few days.

Augh I hate the blue screen. 

Had one unit that lasted thirty days after the warranty was over. Nothing I could do to bring it back to life, a very nice all in one unit. When My new computer arrived I picked up the dead unit to get at the cables and low and behold it booted up as I was unplugging it.   I had checked all the connections many time previous. I now have two Windows 10 computers, one of which sits in a room nobody every uses. At one time I wanted to send it to one of our members in Africa, but shipping exceeded by my purchase price by far. 

Anybody PM, me if interested.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

5 minutes ago, Musky said:

Has anybody noticed that the problem Greg posted about his dying laptop was almost three years ago? The said laptop is probably dead and buried by now. :)

Didn't mean to resurrect a 4 yr old post.  I was reading the posts (all 5 of them) and got caught up in the drama.  :lol1:

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah." 

8 hours ago, Dages said:

Give it away to a brother or a sister in your congregation.

8 hours ago, Dages said:

Give it away to a brother or a sister in your congregation.

Actually, I tried but computers are so common here everybody seems to want the latest even though the average user doesn't even come close to using 50% of the capabilities of a late model PC.

I had a beautiful IBM notebook, I used it for accounting and the contribution boxes dept. at DCs. Performed flawlessly. I tried to give it away when simplifying. No takers, even though it easily handled all common tasks, and was loaded with programs. Finally, I pulled the hard drive and it went into the recycling bin. When I moved from Washington state to Oregon I junked 3 working pcs plus monitors and manage to give an HP Plotter to a brother that 'really' wanted it. 6 years later he still hasn't bothered to set it up, $600 down the drain. Why because they weren't the lastest and everybody seems to want the latest. Now when 75% of the congregation seem to be happy with tablets, a PC is very hard to give away. This unit that is sitting in the guest room easily handles the CAD programs for Kingdom Hall design. It is a little slow to deal with CAD for a 777.

It may be if I lived in a big city someone would lower themselves enough to accept something that wasn't the latest. When my mother in law moved in with us I had to move out of my computer room. No place to put a size D color inkjet plotter that I had just given a $500 tune-up and repair. Tried for several months to sell it, finally gave up and got it out of the living room by saying it was free to the taker, at that price it still took a week to give it away.

I am considered an expert at buying high and selling low. 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

2 minutes ago, Old said:

I am considered an expert at buying high and selling low. 

I know the feeling.  It stinks.  I've done ok with buying and selling computers, everyone wants the latest and greatest but don't want to pay for it.  Ce la Vive.

"It's a good day to be alive and serve the True God, Jehovah."