JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Most Circulated Magazine in the World

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3531 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

This article was in one of the Business Insider Journal on line from 2010. 

Did You Know The Most Widely Circulated Magazine In The World Is The Monthly Publication Of Jehovah's Witnesses?

Here's your fun factoid of the day: The most widely-read magazine in the world is the hand-distributed, Brooklyn-based monthly publication of Jehovah's Witness, The Watchtower.   Newsmax magazine writes about The Watchtower in its October issue, although its report is sourced to a piece from May in The New York Review of Magazines, which is produced each spring by students at Columbia's Graduate School of Journalism. Which means this is kind of old news, but we're all for giving the hard work of journalism students a second wind, so here you go:

\

Every month, nearly 40 million copies of The Watchtower are printed in more than 180 languages and sent to 236 countries. There are no subscriptions and you won’t find it on newsstands, but it’s still hard to miss. Thanks to the efforts of Witnesses like the Tavolaccis, The Watchtower is the most widely distributed magazine in the world, with a circulation of more than 25 million. Last year, the world’s 7.3 million-strong Jehovah’s Witnesses spent 1.5 billion hours knocking on doors and “street Witnessing” — stopping folks in parks and on streets — to preach the “good news” with a copy of The Watchtower. Its closest competitors are AARP The Magazine (circulation 24.3 million) and Better Homes and Gardens (7.6 million). It doesn’t hurt that The Watchtower has been free since 1990, with the option of a small donation.

UPDATE - Per reader comments, we've changed the headline to suggest The Watchtower is the most "widely circulated" magazine in the world. The title of the NYRM piece is "The Most Widely Read Magazine in the World."

Thanks for posting this Lisa.  It's nothing most of us didn't already know but it's nice to know someone else is acknowledging it!  I remember my first presentation was "Watchtower and Awake - 10 cents please! (1969)!"

very good one  :lol:  :laugh:

" Indeed, what do you have that you did not receive ? "

Brigette,

We used to joke back then that we were giving our " MAD " presentation. "Magazines for a dime."

Ah the good old days going in service. I also used to call not  at homes " Nathan Homers " ( NH )

after the Societies' third president. I think a sense of humor is needed to endure all of the things you

encounter in service.

GStorrs46

Now my presentation is "Watchtower & Awake, donation please." hehe! As you can see I have progressed rather far in a spiritual way since the days of my young childood. LOL

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

Now my presentation is "Watchtower & Awake, donation please." hehe! As you can see I have progressed rather far in a spiritual way since the days of my young childood. LOL

You mean when you used to play the phonograph at the doors?

Spare me your foul words!  P.S. We have a bad storm coming our way - think I'll see if Jehovah will fedex a lightning bolt in your direction! LOL

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D