JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

U.S. Marines sing "There is no God like Jehovah"

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3468 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Are these men not to be pitied and shown compassion as we would show anyone blinded by Satan and Babylon the Great?  There are no doubt many people in our territory who go to some mega churches and sing this same song. 

Perhaps you are one of the fortunate ones, Shawn, who was raised in the Truth and have never known any differently, but many of us were not, and if I were in the world and heard your words, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't want to know anymore at that point.

Jehovah has condescended to show ALL of us mercy.  I can look back and, unfortunately, recall in vivid detail the things I did before I came into the Truth and the many times I have fallen short since.  Some of our discussions - including this one, I believe - are publicly visible.  These men may have a zeal for God but not according to accurate knowledge, just as Paul and many who have become faithful servants of Jehovah.  It is the religious leaders of Christendom - the ones who know Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic and yet still choose to teach their congregations lies - who have taught these men and bear the most guilt.  People are skinned and thrown about just as the Jews of Jesus' day.

Indeed they are. But that doesn't change the fact they are using Jehovahs name erroneously and only bringing honor to the god of this system Satan who has been slandering Jehovahs good name since Adam transgressed. If your name was being slandered and being used for a cause not agreeable to your disposition wouldn't you want to clear your name and set the record straight? As this is what Jehovah has been doing since Adam sinned for the last 6000 years. So what praise and glory can be brought to Jehovah by these men, participants in an Army that fights for the god of this system, bring to Jehovah's name? How is this any difference to the Knights Templar or the Crusaders who fought in the middle ages who also assumed they were fighting in Jehovahs name. 

Now the point of my post wasn't to dismiss any zeal they may have for God as my post isn't nor did it highlight each man on his own merit, nor is it possible to draw such a conclusion from this video alone. The point of post being to highlight the misuse of Jehovahs name in this video.

From a member of meekspace.org, a post of this. I don't know the authenticity of this. What are your thoughts?

http://www.wnd.com/2014/09/video-u-s-marines-chant-theres-no-god-like-jehovah/#WAhTWkstUdBXm54B.30

post-4555-0-91459700-1412149784_thumb.jp

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Thanks David.

"there was Jehovah’s word for him, and it went on to say to him: “What is your business here, E·lijah?" To this (Elijah) he said: “I have been absolutely jealous for Jehovah the God of armies"- 1 Kings 19:9, 10 Reference Bible

Ecclesiastes 7:21 "..., do not give your heart to all the words that people may speak," - Reference Bible

Well, Like many others I found it very interesting. First concerning their enthusiasm. It reminds me of a comment

my dad made when we were first coming into the truth. He said I love so many things about you people, but you all

can't carry a tune in a bucket. We were used to having been in the Methodist church, which is famous for the power-

ful hymns of the Wesleys. Maybe we can use them as an example on how to improve in our enthusiasm. After all, we

have greater reasons to sing about than they do.

In listening to the lyrics of the songs, I was struck that it appeared to be focused on the fact that this is the last days

and we are living in the "time of the "harvest". And then the part about the Jehovah and his name. The question I have

is is this just a service held at Camp Pentleton ? Or is it more general held at all or many of the bases across the coun-

try. Since this appears to be an interdenominational service, this could very well open the doors to witnessing to some

of these soldiers. I remember when we were Methodists we used to sing " Guide me O Thou Great Jehovah". This is

the hymn mentioned by Jules above. It was the first place I heard the name Jehovah. It was only after we started stu-

dying that I realized the great significance of the hymn. Maybe it will prove to be the same for some of them. You just

never know.

GStorrs46

I used to be a former Methodist also before coming to the truth. I never sung (that I recall) any hymns that had Jehovah's name in it (was a youth at the time). I feel they need help in any are willing to be helped. I'm not gonna judge their intentions. They need help if any are sincere.

Being apart of a non-neutral organization puts them in jeopardy of being on wrong side of Jehovah's sovereignty at the start of the great tribulation.

Revelation 18:And I heard another voice out of heaven say: “Get out of her, my people, if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues.

From the Kingdom Rules book, maybe there are still ones in false religion that Jehovah may call 'my people'

Jonah 4:10 But Jehovah said: “You felt sorry for the bottle-gourd plant, which you did not work for, nor did you make it grow; it grew in one night and perished in one night. 11 Should I not also feel sorry for Nin-e·veh the great city, in which there are more than 120,000 men who do not even know right from wrong, as well as their many animals?”

Jehovah doesn't want any to die if they're willing to change.

Edited by AH173

Well, Like many others I found it very interesting. First concerning their enthusiasm. It reminds me of a comment

my dad made when we were first coming into the truth. He said I love so many things about you people, but you all

can't carry a tune in a bucket. We were used to having been in the Methodist church, which is famous for the power-

ful hymns of the Wesleys. Maybe we can use them as an example on how to improve in our enthusiasm. After all, we

have greater reasons to sing about than they do.

In listening to the lyrics of the songs, I was struck that it appeared to be focused on the fact that this is the last days

and we are living in the "time of the "harvest". And then the part about the Jehovah and his name. The question I have

is is this just a service held at Camp Pentleton ? Or is it more general held at all or many of the bases across the coun-

try. Since this appears to be an interdenominational service, this could very well open the doors to witnessing to some

of these soldiers. I remember when we were Methodists we used to sing " Guide me O Thou Great Jehovah". This is

the hymn mentioned by Jules above. It was the first place I heard the name Jehovah. It was only after we started stu-

dying that I realized the great significance of the hymn. Maybe it will prove to be the same for some of them. You just

never know.

GStorrs46

I too was Methodist, (lay preacher) and used to sing that hymn.  In fact I used that hymn in my final service when my sermon was disproving the trinity.

I felt the same as you, though, Michael - I didn't appreciate the significance of the name until I started studying with Jehovah's witnesses.

I also remember a lady who stopped studying with witnesses because the Methodists had such better songs!

• 1 month later...

My research concludes the song is "Day of Elijah" by irish singer Robin Mark.

I listened to the lyrics that seem okay to me, though I can't make out what year of jubilee means.

Song with lyrics ... would be a great song to sing right back at the marines in the last minutes of Armageddon, wouldn't it....

It's not the first song that wants to praise Jehovah that I've heard. Another famous one is Jehovah Jireh

Genesis 4:26 tells us "....At that time a start was made of calling on the name of Jehovah". Man did the same thing in the early days of his history calling on the name of Jehovah. But they didn't use Jehovah's name to honor him but instead defiled the name of Jehovah and treated it with disdain by applying it to Idols, to men, or using it erroneously and improperly during idolatrous worship. 

The soldiers in the video [...] don't know Jehovah [...] his quality's. [...] as they sing in comradery as their leaders use psychological ploys to prepare them for war.

You nailed it when you said "sing in comradery". The way I know the marines, this was sung with such fervour, not because they think they love Jehovah, but because marines have an extremely large bond to each other and the corps. In that sense, they are using Jehovah's name in vain.

Many nations of this world if not all of them have laws against defamation. If anyone of us were subject to defamation the man made laws that protect us would also protect our name in a court of law. Who among us would willfully and idly stand by while allowing their name to be besmirched with no recourse? As by besmirching the name of the most high that is exactly what these men are doing, defaming Jehovah's character and what his name stands for.

This is spot on, and the idea is obviously to amalgamate Jehovah's people with all the other small denomenations of Christendom.... which is really inacceptable given our stance to military duty...... though you never know if Jehovah will not use this, for example, at some point to get one of these boys on board. Music has a powerful subliminally programming effect. There's a small part of these guy's brains that has a file called "No_God_like_Jehovah.dat".... which is something most of them will find out anyways on the very last day.

Despite all the bad things about this video, from a purely objective view I wouldn't overrate it. Marines have a right to service and this is simply false worship like any other false worship is. It hurts to see Jehovah's name being abused like this, but as always, we judge Satan as the perpetrator, and not the people. The marines are not doing this because they are wicked, but because they are misled.