JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Star wars teaser?

I hate how worldly "smart" people always try to make something innocent into something more like religious, really??? i don't know of anyone Worldly or not who has ever thought of start wars as a religious experience in any manner..crazy! Hope they made a lot of money for their "expertise"....lol

When I have a look at the following scenes,
timeline:
16:09
23:02
26:29
58:17
1:09:47 - 1:10:17

I ask myself: Aren't these scenes spiritualistic?
Just a quotation from "What does the bible really teach":
"A spirit medium may give special information or may speak
in a voice that seems to be that of a dead person.
People who want to serve Jehovah need to get rid of everything
related to spiritism. That includes books, magazines, movies,
posters, and music recordings that encourage the practice of
spiritism and make it seem appealing and exciting
."

Of course, we have no list of films, books, internet sites to avoid.

w11 7/15, para. 6: "When you choose entertainment and recreation
for yourself or your family, do you allow the lax consciences of
others to influence your decisions and to mold your conscience?
"

("God's Word for Us Through Jeremiah", Chap. 4, para 2, 12b)

Just some considerations... :)

Well, I don't agree with the spiritistic ideology in the movie, this movie is scientific base, like when a doctor revives a person on the emergency room table, they aren't being resurrected in a spiritual sense however, some would like to say it was God and a spiritual journey. The whole movie is on scientific basis, other planets, space ships. Not spiritual, you have to be careful not to read in what others try to slant things, they are only opinions that, by the way, they get big money for coming up with. However, if you have decided that it is spiritualistic and believe their opinions then I would stay away from it to protect my conscience.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/10865384/Science-of-Star-Wars-why-the-Force-could-be-with-us.html

I ask myself:

Just some considerations... :)

I didn't "dictate my conscience on to others".

But if something is spiritualistic (I didn't said, it is!) - we don't have to discuss about conscience, don't we?

Maybe my considerations touched someones conscience - "As iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens his friend".

If so, I don't feel bad with it. If not, go on with Judges 21:25b.

Btw, maybe a good comment for "Bible highlights" to night... :uhhuh:

Have a nice weekend with so much joy in your field service. :)

No problem brother Ruben. The reason I brought up that it is a conscience matter is from the recent WT Study article July 15, 2014 entitled "Reject foolish ignorant debates" 11 There are other things that can disturb the peace of a congregation besides apostate ideas. For example, there may be different opinions about what entertainment is appropriate for a Christian. Trying to force these opinions on others could cause “foolish and ignorant debates.” But what if someone in the congregation is promoting entertainment that goes against God’s moral standards? Elders would not tolerate this behavior simply to avoid an argument. (Psalm 11:5; Ephesians 5:3-5) Yet, elders are careful not to promote their own ideas...12 Our organization does not review movies, video games, books, or songs to decide which ones we should avoid. Why not? Because the Bible tells each person to train his conscience “to distinguish both right and wrong.” (Hebrews 5:14) We can use Bible principles to help us make wise decisions about entertainment. With all such decisions, we need to “keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord.” (Ephesians 5:10) The Bible also teaches that the head of the family has authority, so he may decide not to allow certain entertainment in his household.* —1 Corinthians 11:3; Ephesians 6:1-4.

I respect that you believe the men's opinion in the documentary on the movie and i understand what you were saying, but where I live there are many faithful brothers and sisters who were raised watching these science fiction movies and never related anything to religion it has always been labeled as a futuristic science movie so sad that worldly men have to make it something else but everything can be taken as a religious or spiritual significant if a person wants to because the "whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one."

I don't watch anything that has anything spiritistic qualities, in fact, most of the young ones I know in the congregations watch all the disney movies and most of them have magic and more in them my kids are the only ones that don't see them. But that's ok and I don't say anything to someone else if that is their choice and when they ask if we have seen them we just say no and leave it at that.

Much love!