JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Sweet Potatoes fresh from the ground

I just came home from preaching in seldom work territory, it was awesome, we felt like Missionaries for two days. anyway, I brought home a case of sweet potatoes with the dirt still on them. I have some in the oven now. What I would love is some good old fashion recipes and ways to prepare this Louisiana Delicacy...

I have searched online and found a couple of recipes that I will try. I am looking to stay on the healthy side. So far I have pies, baked, stuffed and fries oh and yes a casserole. Any help appreciated, thanks......

hi April :wave:

fresh-grown delights-from-the-earth. YUM.

we had a sweet potato discussion recently ~ you may enjoy

a few of the sisters' delicious recipes & suggestions listed...

http://jwtalk.net/forums/topic/11265-anyone-into-sweet-potatoes/

:chef:

look forward to your 'seldom worked territory' stories  :cowboy:  

... we love stories  :popcorn:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

I just came home from preaching in seldom work territory, it was awesome, we felt like Missionaries for two days. anyway, I brought home a case of sweet potatoes with the dirt still on them. I have some in the oven now. What I would love is some good old fashion recipes and ways to prepare this Louisiana Delicacy...

I have searched online and found a couple of recipes that I will try. I am looking to stay on the healthy side. So far I have pies, baked, stuffed and fries oh and yes a casserole. Any help appreciated, thanks......

I am not big on sweet potatoes but my wife really likes them. :eat:

Though I do not have any recipes to offer, :chef:  I will say this - Wash Those Potatoes before you cook them" :eek:  While having fresh produce sounds healthy, eating them "dirty" does not increase any health benefits.

Also, just putting them in the oven will not do much for them unless you turn the oven on :nope:  and again, wash them before you do this :deadhorse:  potatoes with dirt still on them make a rather odd smell when they are baking. :wall:

Hope all this helps :lol1::lol2:  :laugh:  :loopy:   :wave:

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thank you Brother John, I not only washed them, I scrubbed them. I am actually a very good cook; well most of the time anyway. :D

I am trying to get more involved here with comments and I thought this would be a great start.

I found this recipe online I will try it tonight when I get home.:sweet-potato-stacks-sl-x.jpg?itok=odFlry

1 1/2 pounds small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced 
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided
1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, divided* 
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. salt 
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Garnish: fresh thyme
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Layer half of sweet potatoes in a lightly greased 12-cup muffin pan. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp. thyme and 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining sweet potatoes. (Potatoes will come slightly above the rim of each cup.)

2. Microwave cream, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. thyme at HIGH 1 minute. Pour cream mixture into muffin cups (about 1 Tbsp. per cup).

3. Bake at 375°, covered with aluminum foil, 30 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly golden.

4. Let stand 5 minutes. Run a sharp knife around rim of each cup, and lift potato stacks from cups using a spoon or thin spatula. Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish, if desired.

*Gruyère cheese may be substituted.

Hi Renee, thank you so much for the listing, I browsed it there are a lot of great suggestions, cannot wait to try them.

Oh speaking of turning the oven on.....I was trying to steam some fresh broccoli and kept waiting for the water to boil and waiting.....I forgot :D  :lol:  to turn on the burner.... :ecstatic:

thank you April for your post :)     your picture looks De-lish!   :eat:

a dish so mouthwatering needs a name, what do you call it?

... wonder if softened cream cheese could be subbed - or at least halved - for heavy cream...?  

those heavy dairy ingredients are brutal on the waistline  :help:

appreciate your addition to the 'well oiled dishes'  :chef:

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

ah yes! the alligator pear! 

good reminder John thanks :cool:

I am not big on sweet potatoes but my wife really likes them. :eat:

Though I do not have any recipes to offer, :chef:  I will say this - Wash Those Potatoes before you cook them" :eek:  While having fresh produce sounds healthy, eating them "dirty" does not increase any health benefits.

Also, just putting them in the oven will not do much for them unless you turn the oven on :nope:  and again, wash them before you do this :deadhorse:  potatoes with dirt still on them make a rather odd smell when they are baking. :wall:

Hope all this helps :lol1::lol2:  :laugh:  :loopy:   :wave:

Ah the words of wisdom we get from our friends. Are these words of experiance as well?  :bouncing: