JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Pope Francis says dogs can go to heaven

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3441 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Pope Says dogs can go to heaven!

(NEWSER) — Pope Francis continues to show he's anything but traditional. During a recent public appearance, Francis comforted a boy whose dog had died, noting, "One day, we will see our animals again in the eternity of Christ. Paradise is open to all of God's creatures."

Theologians say Francis — who took his papal name from the patron saint of animals, St. Francis of Assisi — was only speaking conversationally.

But the remark is being seen by some as a reversal of conservative Catholic theology that states because they are soulless, animals can't go to heaven,The New York Timesreports.

In 1990, Pope John Paul II said animals have souls, but his successor, Pope Benedict XVI, gave a 2008 sermon that seemed to say the opposite.

Francis' comment has now sparked a new debate on the subject, and the Humane Society says it has been flooded with e-mails. If Francis does, in fact, believe animals have souls, "then we ought to seriously consider how we treat them," a rep says. "We have to admit that these are sentient beings, and they mean something to God."

PETA is also running with Francis' remark, suggesting Catholics should move toward a vegan lifestyle.

Animal souls aside, a recent Pew survey finds Francis has a 60% approval rating worldwide and 78% approval in the US, the Washington Post reports.

China may be growing fond of the pontiff, too, considering he allegedly refused a meeting with the Dalai Lama because, as the Dalai Lama reportedly said, "It might create inconveniences," the Times reports.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/12/12/pope-francis-dogs-can-go-to-heaven/20296955/

I am wondering, then, what is the meaning of the scriptures in Ecclesiastes and Peter:

Ecclesiastes 3:18-22
18 I also said in my heart about the sons of men that the true God will test them and show them that they are like animals, 19 for there is an outcome for humans and an outcome for animals; they all have the same outcome. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit. So man has no superiority over animals, for everything is futile. 20 All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust. 21 Who really knows whether the spirit of humans ascends upward, and whether the spirit of animals descends down to the earth? 22 And I saw that there is nothing better than for a man to find enjoyment in his work, because that is his reward; for who can enable him to see what will happen after he is gone?

2 Peter 2:12
But these men, like unreasoning animals that act on instinct and are born to be caught and destroyed, speak abusively about things of which they are ignorant.

(from Awake 2-22-04 p 6)

I think that a point was made that the reason why Adam and Eve knew the importance of the command about the tree and its consequence is because they saw the animals die.  The way to heaven wasn't even open then - not until Jesus.  So, for 4000 years or more, heaven is going to be filled up with chicks and geese and lions and tigers and bears?  oh my...

I am wondering, did Jesus die for the animals?  Did they have a command that they broke and thereby sinned?  There are a lot of issues here.

Edited by rbrown1205

I want to know if my pet gerbil and my fish I had as a boy will be in the new system too. it would seem to be only fair.

GStorrs46

The lions and the lambs shouldn't get all top billing at that time.

In the Italian article he references Colossians. I'm thinking it's 1:16? I tried to do a search on the verbiage he used and it seemed that it was that scripture? If so, hmmmm...

In St. Peter's Square, the Pope addressed the heart of the "old questions" about life after death . "The Holy Scriptures teach us that the realization of this wonderful plan covers all that is around us, and that came out of the thought and the heart of God, "he said, adding that according to Pauline theology, as you can read in Colossians of the New Testament, "all things were created by the mind and heart of Di or and all will be part of his final glory. "

http://www.resapubblica.it/religioni/i-cani-vanno-in-paradiso-papa-francesco-ce-aldila-per-tutti-gli-animali/ 

Mind you it's Google translated so it's probably not perfect.

Edited by THENK

Favorite Scriptures: Revelation 14:7 and Psalm 34:18 | Lost over 100 lbs following a whole food diet. 
¡Estoy aprendo español con Duolingo! | Lover of Ragdoll cats ❤️ Sammy & Toby