JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Catfish Recipes

I am going to lightly dry bread the fillets and deep fry them tonight for MH but how else have you cooked catfish? This is his first time eating it. 

A brother is going to help us get to the catfish hole on the snake river later this spring, I hope to get some for the freezer. Since we don't have sturgeon for a few years catfish is a good second choice, so I hear.

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

I had never tried catfish but a few weeks ago at my husband's aunt's funeral a Witness couple from Tampico brought tons of catfish for all those who were gathering at the house. At first I didn't want to try it, but when I did it was so delicious! Now, I'm craving it. I don't know the recipe but it looked like they battered and fried the whole thing. We'll have to give them a call and ask them. They sell it at the market every week, so they are "pros".

As a side note, that couple did so much for the aunt's family, they let them come to their house to sleep and shower. The family and relatives had gathered at the hospital, day and night, for about 4 days, while the aunt was being treated for a stroke. It was all so sudden, but the brothers really helped support them.

I like to cut the catfish in long strips, make an egg batter, dip it in and dredge in fish fry, or half corn meal half flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and deep fry. Also add beer to batter or you can rub yellow mustard on the fish then flour it.

Sometimes I make stuffed catfish..

I had never tried catfish but a few weeks ago at my husband's aunt's funeral a Witness couple from Tampico brought tons of catfish for all those who were gathering at the house. At first I didn't want to try it, but when I did it was so delicious! Now, I'm craving it. I don't know the recipe but it looked like they battered and fried the whole thing. We'll have to give them a call and ask them. They sell it at the market every week, so they are "pros".

As a side note, that couple did so much for the aunt's family, they let them come to their house to sleep and shower. The family and relatives had gathered at the hospital, day and night, for about 4 days, while the aunt was being treated for a stroke. It was all so sudden, but the brothers really helped support them.

How sweet Loraine. Nice story, sad but nice for those suffering loss.  Fried is so common, and MH really liked it too. But if you'd ask them for any hints I'd really be interested. I realize it is only white fish but with it's individual taste some ways work better than others. 

I like to cut the catfish in long strips, make an egg batter, dip it in and dredge in fish fry, or half corn meal half flour, seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder and deep fry. Also add beer to batter or you can rub yellow mustard on the fish then flour it.

Sometimes I make stuffed catfish..

OMGoodness April, this sounds great. Used to do the beer batter but never with mustard. And stuffed catfish, send the recipe over!! YUM!

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

• 6 months later...

I make catfish tacos that are excellent.  Got the recipe from a sister in Mexico and just recently saw then same recipe on Food TV in a show for 5 Top Tacos in the USA.  It was rated #1 taco and now I know why.  You take flour and half corn masa and mix in a  T. of Mexican oregano, and 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp of dry mustard or 1 T of French's mustard,  plus 1 can evaporated milk and a beer (I used a Summer Shandy) which had citrus flavors in it.  I almost forgot the 1 tsp of baking powder which you don't want to forget. This along with the beer makes the batter so light and crunchy! Cut your filets into strips for tacos (or leave whole for incredible fish sandwiches).  Using a deep fryer or a skillet with plenty of vegetable oil fry at 350 degrees until golden brown.  Serve with lime ledges, and white sauce (mayo, lime juice from 1 lime, and some evaporated milk to this down).  Also use thinly sliced cabbage as a garnish and a slice of avocado.  Grill some corn tortillas and place your fish strip and garnishes on top. WOW!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!