JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community
We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3210 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Hello, my family and myself are visiting New York City in March. We are staying in Manhattan. One of the places we want to visit is Patterson. Does anyone know a way to get there via bus or train? We are aware there are tours in operation but they are full days out and near $100.

We also would like to visit the Stanley theatre. Are there weekly meetings held there? Do they do tours?

We plan to visit Brooklyn Bethel on our first day. And also try to get to 1 meeting. Possibly the one held on Thursday night by Central Park. Our hotel is by Times Square.

Thanks for your help in advance.

There is not a train stop close enough to Patterson to make that work. You need to rent a car to go to either Patterson or Walkill.

If you took a train, you would have to arrange for someone on the other end to pick you up at the station and bring you.

And you can find tour information here - http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/offices/united-states/

You can call and they know the area and the whats and hows of a visit - including the Stanley Theater.

Enjoy your trip   :wave:

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Amazing, truly an international congregation!

Just think, Ryan from Scotland asks about New York tours. (I hope you have a nice visit.)

Jerry from Las Vegas, USA gives some details and a link. (Jerry might want to know if Ryan is bringing some bacon?)

Then Ron from the UK adds there aren't any tours at the Stanley Theater. (Bummer)

So much help on a moments notice!

In 2008 we rented a car and drove to Patterson, stayed the night there and then saw Walkill the next day. The night stayed at Patterson was arranged through our elders. There is no public transportation as far as I remember, since it's a very rural area. There is also a congregation that meets at the Kingdom Hall in Bethel. That was a privilege to attend.

Edited by boodles

Originally posted by crazylee

Amazing, truly an international congregation!

Just think, Ryan from Scotland asks about New York tours. (I hope you have a nice visit.)

Jerry from Las Vegas, USA gives some details and a link. (Jerry might want to know if Ryan is bringing some bacon?)

Then Ron from the UK adds there aren't any tours at the Stanley Theater. (Bummer)

So much help on a moments notice!

Judging by your avatar you'd prefer to drive...

Other people in Muskegon have interesting cars:

151012babbitt8.jpg

Maybe it's something in the water?

0213frmipicsmuskwaterto.jpg

Ryan,

If you are staying in Manhattan, you need to try to go on one of Biblical Tours at the Metropolitan Museum which is organized by Oasis Group Tours.  There is a website under that name and the tours are very reasonable.  I hear the tour "The Woman and the Seed" is great.

Ryan,

If you are staying in Manhattan, you need to try to go on one of Biblical Tours at the Metropolitan Museum which is organized by Oasis Group Tours.  There is a website under that name and the tours are very reasonable.  I hear the tour "The Woman and the Seed" is great.

"The Woman and the Seed" tour is MIND BLOWING! It's sooooo good!

~Van

There is not a train stop close enough to Patterson to make that work. You need to rent a car to go to either Patterson or Walkill.

Go to hotwire.com cheap rentals from Newark airport. Bus to newark airport from the city.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Stanley has CA meetings alot, so if your there around a weekend, stop by and there might be a CA going on. Also yes there are no tours anymore for Stanley but if you go there a lot of the time there are br others in the building for maintenance that can let you in to have a look. Check up with your body of elders for the recommended lodging list for bethel visitors. At the bottom are car rentals for a good price. You could hit walkhill and Patterson in a day and the car might cost around 65 or so.

I was there a week ago and that plan worked out well.

• 2 weeks later...

You can as your elders for a lodging and car rental list as well. The rates are very reasonable for a car through the Watchtower discount.

I was told the 2015 lodging list is not out yet. Any idea on when it might be released?

Hello, my family and myself are visiting New York City in March. We are staying in Manhattan. One of the places we want to visit is Patterson. Does anyone know a way to get there via bus or train? We are aware there are tours in operation but they are full days out and near $100.

We also would like to visit the Stanley theatre. Are there weekly meetings held there? Do they do tours?

We plan to visit Brooklyn Bethel on our first day. And also try to get to 1 meeting. Possibly the one held on Thursday night by Central Park. Our hotel is by Times Square.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Found any good deals on lodging? I am patiently waiting for the 2015 bethel visitors lodging list. Hotels in the NYC area are not cheap!

You should talk with your local elders. The updated list has been available since Dec 22, 2014

Edited by trottigy
Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

You should talk with your local elders. The updated list has been available since Dec 22, 2014

Your secretary is probably the only elder aware of this as it is his responsibility to provide it when requested.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you are still looking but we stayed at the Best Western in Brooklyn (on the list) and loved it soooo much! Very good services! There was some issue with the booking (worth 350$) and I was worried, would have to pay but they manage to find out a nice solution! They have a great breakfast too. It is 2 mn walk to a subway station. We did not make it to Patterson and Walkill for the same reason (no public transportation and I do not drive). Is another reason to go back to New York the minute I overcome this terrible fear of driving :D

Thank you everyone for your great tips! I think we are going to book one of the tours that brothers put on to go up to Patterson, a bit expensive but we can't go all that way and not visit, plus we will get to see a bit of New York countryside.

Does anyone know when the circuit assembly is held at the Stanley theatre this year? Nit planning to attend as I know it's not wise to just turn up due to numbers etc but it would be nice to have a quick look around.

• 5 months later...

My family and I visited Patterson and Walkill recently. We were able to visit both in the same day. They are about an hour drive from each other. We did Patterson in the morning and Walkill in the afternoon. If you rent a car and are doing it on your own, it's certainly doable.