JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

all you star trek fans

I love the remastered TOS (I loved the original as well, but I really like the way they have tastefully done the remastering) and I also like the other series as well, Voyager arguably being the best. 

hated Star Trek '09 with a passion, and Into Darkness was well acted and had a good plot, but still fails on so many levels for me. 

:borg:

• 1 month later...

I actually enjoyed the first Abrams startrek.  An influx of a lot of decent castings for the characters.

"Ignite the red matter" did it for me. Since when is that an appropriate line for Star Trek? 

Something like "engage the quantum resonance cascade" would have been better, but creating a singularity with a blob of red stuff is perhaps one of the silliest things I have ever seen in Star Trek. 

I also didn't like the fact that engineering looked like a brewery, and was indeed filmed in one I think. The large hadron collider type from Into Darkness was better, but still nothing on the "classic" films IMO. 

well i was talking about the casting choices of actors.   I really am not good at trying to be critical of movies and plots and writing; if i'm entertained and its not obviously cheesy then shrug...

Actually, I should point out that I liked some of the casting. I thought Spock and Kirk were well cast, as were Sulu and Chekov, but I'm not sure about Uhura and Scotty, I know lots of people liked Simon Pegg as Scotty but I'm still not sure. The best for me was Karl Urban as McCoy. He has the portrayal of Deforrest Kelley to a tee. It's like watching the original McCoy, the best portrayal of any of the characters in my mind. 

Shawn, I KNOW you're not talking about Tim Russ' new film: Star Trek Renegades----the official trailer is out and it HAS been pitched to CBS (in February).

No, I meant http://www.startrekcontinues.com/ and  Phase II   Between these 2 fan series we have about 12 new TOS episodes.  I've loved every Star Trek Continues episodes (waiting for Episode 5 then end of this month) and a lot of Phase II (not too keen on the homosexual Peter Kirk and the first episode with the multiple Doomsday Machines and time traveling Matt Decker was quite stupid).  

The other fan series, Star Trek Exeter is just as awesome.  Loved all their episode.  I'm also a big fan of the animated fan series Star Trek Aurora.  

Renegades ranks right up there with Of Gods and Men in my opinion.  Ambitious.  Lofty goals but ultimately a strike out.  I don't know what the difference is between these and the above fan series.  Renegades and Gods and Men had potential to be excellent since they both have legitimate actors from the Star Trek franchise, professional directors and so forth.  But the writing was just ... bad.  They are both entertaining for a 1 time watch.  I liked the idea and potential for Renegades but it was just too terrible to be a legitimate attempt at a revival series.  Bad writing.

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting Axanar and I loved their 20 minute proof of concept video - Prelude to Axanar.  That was quality of the first order all around.  I've watched it like 3 or 4 times.  

Edited by Shawnster