JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is the silliest thing you have ever done? LOL

Helen: That was funny. I'll have to look up that Awake magazine. But what I find so remarkable about your story is that you had a doctor come to your home! We just don't see that anymore. These days you have to go to his office, wait 2-3 hours, when he finally examines you for about 15-20 minutes, says you're fine then you have to pay an outrageous bill! :taz:

"Ain't that the truth?":eek:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, everyone in Britain pays National Insurance, separate to tax at a rate based on income from the moment you leave school and your employer, if you have one, pays another contribution when they employ you and you get National Health Service health care.It's basic, not top class, but it worked OK, until now in the recession. It has it's problems now due to a layer of management a previous government put in place that wasn't there before, that creams off big wages and pensions at the expense of the real frontline services.Also, putting certain services 'out to tender' ( get 3 quotes before deciding who does cleaning or hospital building) and it lead to some dirty hospitals as cheap companies with cheap foreign workers without standards of cleanliness/hygiene got in some hospitals. Some builders would begin building a hospital to the quote they gave, then money would run out and they would go to the government for millions more, or it doesn't get built - some of this PFI (Private Finance Initiative) has been a big scandalous fraud against the NHS, schools and firebrigades.However, the Doctor's surgeries are good outside of the cities.They are 'group practices' that share a large surgery with a nurses station that includes nurses who do vaccinations, blood and cancer tests at the surgery and come out to the elderly and health visitors who go out to see new mothers. That's why Britain has such an immigration problem, as many sick refugees want to get in for our free Healthcare and it is a worry as they come here with Tuberculosis or other nasty illnesses we don't all want to catch and trying to treat everyone charitably is quite a burden on the system. Roll on Paradise when we will learn to look after our perfected selves in harmony with the way Jehovah made us in a perfect environment!>:D

To have the capacity to laugh at oneself is a wonderful thing, surely a gift from Jah.

A LITTLE SENSE OF HUMOR, PLEASE.

That something that's of small account

Makes them blow up out of sight.

You said: "How funny (strange) it is

They cannot laugh off things,

How they clutch them to their bosom,

and the misery that this brings."

You said: "Surely there ought to be

a poem in that somewhere";

And with just a little mouse click

your thoughts flew to here, from there.

Once again you are a prophet

and your words have proven true;

But a prophet can't be fully sure

what his prophesy will do.

When God made up a Platypuss,

He surely knew we'd grin.

And a lizard that runs upright

with his widely outspread fin?

We also smile quite widely at

all kinds of newborn things;

And what a giant belly laugh

their wild antics often brings.

God's gracious gift of laughter keeps

our focus from ourselves,

For it turns thoughts out, instead of in;

Onto you; instead of self.

A gift that He so kindly gives

is the power for us to see

How we just might look to others

not just how I look to me.

And as we stand aside and peer

at such a silly man,

A grin will spread across our face

and our world's alright again.

If only more would learn to use

that gift he gives quite free,

The world would be more pleasant

and more happy we all would be. :peace:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I understand the part about laughing at ourselves, but what exactly is the

gift God gives that helps us to see ourselves as others see us? Always

wanted to be able to do that but Jehovah might think I couldn't bear it lol

GL

>A gift that He so kindly gives

is the power for us to see

How we just might look to others

not just how I look to me.

And as we stand aside and peer

at such a silly man,

A grin will spread across our face

and our world's alright again.

If only more would learn to use

that gift he gives quite free,

The world would be more pleasant

and more happy we all would be. :peace:

--

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

I didn't write that, but in my opinion it would be to be able to examine ourselves and see how funny some of the things we do and say are to others. I commonly say and do things that I don't think are funny, and one of my sisters or friends points out to me the ridiculousness of it. But of course I could be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.:perplexed:

okay maybe that's it. I was thinking personality wise or something like

that.

But how do we _examine_ ourselves? Comparing our words & actions to what the

Bible says is important as in James 1: 22-25 we look in the _mirror_ of

God's principles and laws, but this poem was speaking, I believe, of how

_others_, our peers would see us. Maybe I'm analyzing this too much. lol

GL

I didn't write that, but in my opinion it would be to be able to examine

ourselves and see how funny some of the things we do and say are to others.

I commonly say and do things that I don't think are funny, and one of my

sisters or friends points out to me the ridiculousness of it. But of course

I could be wrong, it certainly wouldn't be the first time.:perplexed:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

okay maybe that's it. I was thinking personality wise or something like

that.

But how do we _examine_ ourselves? Comparing our words & actions to what the

Bible says is important as in James 1: 22-25 we look in the _mirror_ of

God's principles and laws, but this poem was speaking, I believe, of how

_others_, our peers would see us. Maybe I'm analyzing this too much. lol

GL

That's OK. My husband doesn't think I analyze enough so we'll just balance each other out, huh?:)-D

well.... one of the silliest things? how about....spending 20 minuites looking for my glasses when they were on my face...DUH!!

http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17424.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Same thing here, but I passed in front the mirror and still didn't notice them. Its only when I tried to rub my eyes did I realize my glasses were on.

So it goes like this....Last night I was leaving a voicemail on my aunts answering machine. So im almost at the end of my one minute message then instead of saying "bye" I was like "In jesus' name Amen" hahahaha Im so glad it was my auntie I tell ya!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahhaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it goes like this....Last night I was leaving a voicemail on my aunts answering machine. So im almost at the end of my one minute message then instead of saying "bye" I was like "In jesus' name Amen" hahahaha Im so glad it was my auntie I tell ya!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahahhaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*** it-2 p. 208 Laughter ***

The Hebrew words for laughter (tsechoq′ and the parallel form sechoq′) are, according to Gesenius, onomatopoeic, that is, they are imitative of the sound of laughter (as are the written English interjections “ho-ho” and “ha-ha”). Isaac’s name, Yits‧chaq′, also meaning “Laughter,” has this same mimetic quality.

:lol1:

Many researchers believe that the purpose of laughter is related to making and strengthening human connections. "Laughter occurs when people are comfortable with one another, when they feel open and free. And the more laughter [there is], the more bonding [occurs] within the group," says cultural anthropologist Mahadev Apte. This feedback "loop" of bonding-laughter-more bonding, combined with the common desire not to be singled out from the group, may be another reason why laughter is often contagious.:lol2::lol1::lol2:

LOL. . . Alot of thinking, and i couldn't put a finger on the "silliest" thing i've done, since there are millions of things to choose from. . . . A very difficult question for me. . . . And i see, i have some tough things to compete with here lol. . .

Well one of the most embarrassing things i've done i'd say about 2-3 years ago, (i was about 15 or 16) on a Thursday evening, after school. I was tired, and it was meeting night. I had a rule of at least giving one comment at each meeting back then, and so it was the last meeting part on the service meeting. . . My eyes were almost closing. . . (oh, yes, i've drowsed off to sleep on a few occasions lol. . . ) but this was something worse, i decided to quickly find an answer to give. . . . I can't exactly remember what the part was about, but after i raised my hand and commented, everyone went silent, the conductor looked stumped! LOL. . . . It was like paragraph 4 and all along i was looking in the wrong article in the Kingdom Ministry! I commented on something about which were the best ways to witness informally. The paragraph everyone else was looking had nothing to do with that! LOL!. . . I was sitting right in the front, it was empty, so no was there to say something, but i looked on the other side and saw everyone searching through their Kingdom Ministry to find what i was talking about LOL! . . . All of a sudden i was awake as ever. Haha.

• 3 months later...

I was out on the Field Ministry with a sister and a large old labrador dog followed us up a garden path to the frontdoor. The old dog was a bit arthritic. The door opened and while I talked to the householder, my companion was helping the old dog up the steps into the home.

It walked passed the householder into the kitchen and went straight to a dog bowl full of food and ate it all. The householder stopped talking turned to watch the dog and another small dog peeped round the kitchen doorway trembling and whimpering. "That big dog you helped in isn't mine and it's just eaten my little dog's dinner!" he said. We laughed with embarrassment.:oops: He could see it was an honest mistake and didn't tell us off.:blush:

I was attending (visiting) my brother's congregation on sunday and the reader 1/2 way through the watchtower study realised his zipper was down, as he sat down after reading he casually zipped up .......................WELL when it was time for him to continue reading he was unable to stand because he had zipped his tie into his zipper and was unable to unzip to correct the situation, 2 very strong brothers came up onstage and carried him chair and all off the stage, and a new reader swiftly took his place.

:lol1:

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some really silly things in my time, one that sticks in my mind is when i was young i left the house with my slippers on and walked half way to school before i realized it.

I can't beat the brother who zipped his tie into his trousers though, absolute classic:lol1:

• 2 weeks later...

I was driving our truck and had my right hand wrapped around the cell phone and my hand resting on the center console. A car pulled out in front of me and swerved and fished tailed down the street almost side swiping several cars as it did so. I picked up my right hand and pointed the cell phone at the car and was looking for the "rewind" button to watch the car again! I think I have been watching TV too much!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

Well just recently I was brushing my teeth :toothbrush: and after have a shave then I wondered if I can do both at the same time. Soooooooooooo I had the toothbrush in one hand and the razor in the other and I decided to brush first then shave and with the same speed in goes the razor in my mouth. :oops::pinch::loopy: