JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

What is the silliest thing you have ever done? LOL

Some years ago in a congregation I used to belong to, one of the older pioneers (now service overseer) was working with a young brother, and they knocked at a door. A young woman came to the door stark naked! No towel or anything. The young brother turned away, but the older brother continued with his presentation just as normal.

The woman had done it just to shock the brothers, but the older pioneer was oblivious to it. He is blind!

I know that wasn't a silly thing I have done, but the previous experience brought it to mind. I'm still trying to think which of the silly things I have done I can share here.

There were a few things relating to learning Czech that were silly. I had the privilege of asking the opening prayer and made the usual silly mistakes with similar words (in Czech), addressing Jehovah as a our Heavenly vinegar instead of Father (ocet/otec) and saying that we were his fruit, instead of sheep (ovoce instead of ovce). I also asked him to make us blue instead of wise! (modry / moudry)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Sister Margaret was taking a while making a choice in a wallpaper and paint store. Sister Audrey, her 82 year old mother, was with her and getting tired. Margaret asked the shop assistant if she could put a chair for Audrey at the end of the aisle, so she could rest while Margaret carried on choosing wallpaper.

Audrey sat noticing people passing her and looking above her, then looking at her and nudging each other and laughing.

Eventually Margaret came to help her old mother off the chair.They looked up and realised that little old Audrey had been sitting under a sign saying: "Stripper for Hire!"

(The chair covered the part saying:"Best steam-machine for removing old wallpaper!)

oh, poor Audrey, how embarrasing. :mellow:

Audrey- a great sense of humour and fun like her daughter Margaret - related the story to us, saying she checked for ladders in her stockings or anything awry about her clothes and couldn't see why folk were laughing at her until Margaret got her up and she saw the sign!The shop assistants laughed with them when they realised where they'd put the chair.

She also told us that Margaret got frustrated making a Doctor's appointment for her. Being too frail to travel on her own, Margaret wanted an appointment that she could get a lift with someone and take her mother, but the receptionist kept finding inconvenient times and suggested Audrey come on the bus - which Margaret knew Audrey could not manage. Margaret got frustrated with the receptionist and meant to say: "You expect my frail mother to travel by public conveyance!!" (upper class English for public transport) but said the wrong word : "You expect my frail mother to travel by 'public convenience" (Toilet!!) - Laughter in the Doctor's waiting room!

ok this is one is not silly, but just naughty :shifty::lol2:

When I was in the French Sign Language group, when some non-signing brothers and sisters asked me "How do you sign "How are you" ?"

I show them this sign : :ok: (but just separate the thumb and the index to make a "C")

this mean... WC (toilet)

and these nice brothers and sisters were very happy and proud to do their first "sign" to the deaf brothers and sisters... the deaf B&S knew this joke was from some "naughty" young boys :sweat:

Jehovah is happy.

I'm sure he is "laughing" sometimes... and Jesus, the anointed and the angels...

We are like a "show" for them.

The show is called " The end of times drama." We all have a part in this.

I only trust and pray my character does not die at the end.:P

Visit my website: www.Hcgessentials.com

Growth Demands Change!

Ever think if Jehovah laughs so hard he has tears???

Or if the angels laugh so hard they wet themselves?? Now you got me laughing again!!!!

Perfect for a rough and bad night at work. Thank you!!!

many many moons ago, i was having a discussion with an atheist and I was being berated for my belief in the existence of God , after a few moments as he was walking away frustrated that he could not convince me that was did not exist ( he wanted the last word in ) he said you know when you pray no one is listening , without thinking I said sure he does "we're on speaking terms"

I have the tendency to call people a "dork" , which in my definition meant nerd, doofus, goof,etc. I called my service partner it one day when she did something completely dumb without thinking about it. As I have ADHD and talk a mile a minute I didn't hear anything else about the conversation until she texted me that evening and asked me if I heard what Howard said about me calling her a dork. When I said no, why, she asked me if I knew what a dork is, I said yes, but many words are not used in there original context and that what I meant. Apparently, when I called her that in service she said I couldn't say that out in service, as I kept babbling in my own world the 87 year old brother in the front seat says, "maybe we should draw her a picture!"

Oops! Not only has he been an elder for 50 years, but he has a child on the writing commitee for the US branch and is the voice on many of the audio tapes in English. I'm glad that I was oblivious when it was going on, just the thought of that brother drawing me a picture puts me in stitches.

P.S. If you don't know what a dork is you will have to look it up in a dictionary yourself...I have officially wiped it from my vocabulary.

Webster's New College Dictionary (2005) "Dork - n 2. [slang] a person regarded as stupid, foolish, awkward, clumsy, etc."

It sounds like you used it correctly. I am sorry that they couldn't understand that. Sometimes, older ones get set in their ways and cannot see how language changes over time.

But as they obviously only use Def. #1 and can't expand their vocabulary - I too wouldn't use it around them :blushing:

note: pet peeve (semi-pun intended ;)) of mine - disciplining others when it is not deserved :hammer:

When we were at in Patterson, the housekeepers were required to do a shift in the kitchen. When it was my wife's turn she asked one of the cooks who was stirring a large pot of soup of some type, "what is that crap?" After much chuckling she says - "What? We say crap in Vegas." They nicked named her "whatsthatcrap" ;) She took it well. I am glad they were young brothers as they seem to be more reasonable / flexible when it comes to these things. She has many funny stories from her Bethel days.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Webster's New College Dictionary (2005) "Dork - n 2. [slang] a person regarded as stupid, foolish, awkward, clumsy, etc."

It sounds like you used it correctly. I am sorry that they couldn't understand that. Sometimes, older ones get set in their ways and cannot see how language changes over time.

But as they obviously only use Def. #1 and can't expand their vocabulary - I too wouldn't use it around them :blushing:

Beg your Pardon?????.........I resemble that. (older ones):wheelchair::raspberry:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

This is ONE of the silliest things I've done-I've done many!! My husband was attending the Elders school in Anchorage and I was visiting with my son and his family in Wasilla, about 50 miles from there. We were just having lunch and all had filled their plates and my granddaughter's husband, Joe was saying the prayer. Just when he got started, the house began to shake and moment by moment it shook more and more. It was like all at once we all had the idea to get out of the house. Everyone from neighboring apartments were all out on the sidewalk watching the trees swaying and cars doing a dance. It was very scary. One of the neighbor men asked if I was going to share my lunch. I looked down and here I had my full plate of food in my hands. I was shocked and embarrassed but knowing me, I should have known I'd do some dumb thing. I wasn't going to give up my lunch for no old earthquake! We found out later it was a big one, a 7.9 that centered 150 miles out in the wilderness. When the earth started shaking, we didn't know if Joe's prayer was that powerful or if Jehovah had revealed something earth shaking to the elders!!:eek:

This is ONE of the silliest things I've done-I've done many!! My husband was attending the Elders school in Anchorage and I was visiting with my son and his family in Wasilla, about 50 miles from there. We were just having lunch and all had filled their plates and my granddaughter's husband, Joe was saying the prayer. Just when he got started, the house began to shake and moment by moment it shook more and more. It was like all at once we all had the idea to get out of the house. Everyone from neighboring apartments were all out on the sidewalk watching the trees swaying and cars doing a dance. It was very scary. One of the neighbor men asked if I was going to share my lunch. I looked down and here I had my full plate of food in my hands. I was shocked and embarrassed but knowing me, I should have known I'd do some dumb thing. I wasn't going to give up my lunch for no old earthquake! We found out later it was a big one, a 7.9 that centered 150 miles out in the wilderness. When the earth started shaking, we didn't know if Joe's prayer was that powerful or if Jehovah had revealed something earth shaking to the elders!!:eek:

Hey I dont think that is silly at all - I think it is very sensible to rescue your lunch as well. In an earthquake you never know if it could be a long time before the next meal LOL

Nothing bad can last forever!

Mid 1970's I'm in the lounge at home with Dad. Dad, tolerant but not a Witness, was just out of hospital after a knee operation.He was waiting for the Doctor and reading the newspaper. I was sitting with him reading the latest Awake when the Doctor arrived. I put the magazine down on the coffee table and a cushion on the table for Dad's leg, ready for the Doctor to examine. Doctor came in and I left the room to help Mother with dinner. Apparently the Doctor looked down towards Dad's leg, then looked straight at Dad with a puzzled/shocked expression. Dad asked if anything was amiss and flustered he had said no, finished the examination and left. Dad called me in and pointed on the table. The Awake had got partially covered by the cushion and newspaper and read "The Gay World...". Dad seemed a bit cross at first, but when he described to me the look on the Doctor's face, we both ended up laughing! (1976 Awake cover "The Gay World - Is it so Gay?")

Helen: That was funny. I'll have to look up that Awake magazine. But what I find so remarkable about your story is that you had a doctor come to your home! We just don't see that anymore. These days you have to go to his office, wait 2-3 hours, when he finally examines you for about 15-20 minutes, says you're fine then you have to pay an outrageous bill! :taz: