JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Modified herpes virus fights skin cancer successfully

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3234 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I read this a couple days ago in a Spanish newspaper, this is a link to the same news in English:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/may/26/skin-cancer-patients-successfully-treated-with-herpes-based-drug

This is great news for melanoma patients, since until date there was no treatment for them. This new treatment is expected to be available next year in the US and some time later in Europe.

The herpes virus has been modified so that it only attacks melanoma cells. For some reason still unknown, once the virus has infected those cells, the body's own immune system suddenly begins destroying them. Interestingly, once the response has been triggered, the immune system not only attacks the infected melanoma, but all other skin cancer tumors in the patient's body. Its effects are much milder than those of chemo or radiotherapy, with symptoms similar to those of a flu for a few days.

The developers of this treatment expect they will be able to design variants of the virus to attack lung, pancreas and colon cancers too.

Edited by cvillarrubia

I'm not sure how I feel about this, though I'm aware that there are even vaccines or have been vaccines taken or derived from various diseases such as the dreaded smallpox years ago. Even the blood thinner I'm taking, warfarin, is derived from rat poison.

Well anyway, no matter where these medical "aha!" moments come from, it shows even more that we desperately need Jehovah's kingdom. We weren't supposed to figure out a way to eradicate disease, because we weren't suppose to have disease.

Edited by Luezette

Just thinking aloud here....why are there even any herpes viruses anyway?  Did they perhaps have a purpose in cancelling out other diseases, such as melanoma in this case?  Perhaps this is part of the balance that only Jehovah can bring about in the future.  Micro-organisms, viruses and bacterias had to have an honourable purpose for Jehovah to have created them in the first place.  We know they are vital to life on earth - in the right place.  And because we have them attacking our bodies, and our immune systems are weak due to imperfection, things are soon out of whack.

This is a very interesting article, Carlos.

Love this information! My mom has to go to the dr. next month to check for Melanoma and I just sent her the link to take to the appt. when she goes. Thank you again brother Carlos!!!

I hope everything goes well with your mom. They said this treatment will be available next year, so that's just a few months in the future.

Just thinking aloud here....why are there even any herpes viruses anyway?  Did they perhaps have a purpose in cancelling out other diseases, such as melanoma in this case?  Perhaps this is part of the balance that only Jehovah can bring about in the future.  Micro-organisms, viruses and bacterias had to have an honourable purpose for Jehovah to have created them in the first place.  We know they are vital to life on earth - in the right place.  And because we have them attacking our bodies, and our immune systems are weak due to imperfection, things are soon out of whack.

That is a fascinatign question, Lucy. I have often wondered why Jehovah created viruses. Yes, maybe viruses pose no threat to a perfect immune system, but why creating them anyway?

Some months ago I discovered a partial answer: Viruses attack and kill a huge percentage of bacteria, keeping them at bay. Were it not for viruses, the whole earth would be completely covered by bacteria, since they never stop reproducing, making all other life impossible.

Now it seems viruses could have a role to fight other diseases. That sounds like something Jehvoah would do.

Could it be that some viruses created with that purpose interacted in non originally intended ways with our imperfect immune system and gave birth to the viruses we know now? I am not sure if this makes sense, but it could be an explanation for me.

We will get to know all of this of course in the new world, and we will wonder at Jehovah's creative ingenuity.  I wonder too why yucky things like viruses, bacteria and other micro-organisms, and things like cockroaches, mosquitoes and flies (etc) were created.  The answer of course is that Jehovah has a reason for their existence, and it all has to do with the balance between the ecosystem and everything in the natural world.

Cockroaches are still yuck though!

• 2 weeks later...

• Brother Carlos
  • Some months ago I discovered a partial answer: Viruses attack and kill a huge percentage of bacteria, keeping them at bay. Were it not for viruses, the whole earth would be completely covered by bacteria,

Very interesting knowing that. I also think that Satan would tinker with the DNA of a virus to make it infective to humans.

If scientists can manipulate DNA so could Satan. And his machinations are to mess with our lives.

Small Pox and some other virus' have been "conquered" by vaccinations, but we know that Jehovah will conquer all diseases for us.

Edited by crazylee

• Brother Carlos
  • Some months ago I discovered a partial answer: Viruses attack and kill a huge percentage of bacteria, keeping them at bay. Were it not for viruses, the whole earth would be completely covered by bacteria,

Very interesting knowing that. I also think that Satan would tinker with the DNA of a virus to make it infective to humans.

If scientists can manipulate DNA so could Satan. And his machinations are to mess with our lives.

Small Pox and some other virus' have been "conquered" by vaccinations, but we know that Jehovah will conquer all diseases for us.

Quite possibly, humans "tampering" with animals in several wrong ways if you catch my drift could just as well have been the cause of spreads and viral mutations that are causing diseases nowadays (different animal species have different immunities to viruses) - equally caused by Satans influence but without him directly tinkering with any code.