JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Meal Ideas for Starving Son

I LOVE lentil soup. But, I do understand. 

Have you tried dry roasted chick peas? They are delicious! It's going to be my new go to snack!

I know it is hard to get used to a diabetic diet. But, once you are used to it, it's hard to eat the stuff that is not. I now can hardly stand bread, I only like lasagna using zuchinni as noodles instead of pasta, etc etc... and I used to love bread, and pasta! lol haha With my type of diabetes it's VERY hard to lose weight... even on the strictest diets literally exercising in person with Richard Simmons, at one of his Hoot Camps, 1 lb a week is about as much as I can get off me. lol I have to get more strict on my diabetic diet again myself. No more excuses...  

Thanks everybody!

My son told me about a nightmare he had recently,he went into the video/game shop and they had one small shelf with games on it,all the rest of the shelves had fruits and veggies...lol...he likes his chicken wings,bacon pizza and beefy burritos etc.

I'd love it if he'd eat lentils or chickpeas or even fish.

When we have beef tacos, we always have beans. It's required to eat beans with it in our home. :) Try black beans, they have a buttery better flavor in my opinion then the pinto beans usually served with mexican foods. We also always serve it with brown rice-fiber and filler! :)

Try the roasted chick peas Nancy, they are amazing. If they like nuts they would probably love them! They are crunchy and nutty and oh so good! 

We also like fish tacos... yummmy! Another thing we like with fish, instead of the traditional tarter sauce, we really enjoy tzaztki (sp) sauce. It's a yogurt, dill, and cucumber sauce. We cut the cucumber small, and pat it dry, use greek yogurt, a little onion, onion powder, garlic powder,dill, and crumbled (so small it will almost melt from the acid of the yogurt) feta. Mix it, let it set for a couple of hours. YUMMY!

Edited by PrairieGirl

I LOVE lentil soup. But, I do understand. 

Have you tried dry roasted chick peas? They are delicious! It's going to be my new go to snack!

I know it is hard to get used to a diabetic diet. But, once you are used to it, it's hard to eat the stuff that is not. I now can hardly stand bread, I only like lasagna using zuchinni as noodles instead of pasta, etc etc... and I used to love bread, and pasta! lol haha With my type of diabetes it's VERY hard to lose weight... even on the strictest diets literally exercising in person with Richard Simmons, at one of his Hoot Camps, 1 lb a week is about as much as I can get off me. lol I have to get more strict on my diabetic diet again myself. No more excuses...  

When we have beef tacos, we always have beans. It's required to eat beans with it in our home. :) Try black beans, they have a buttery better flavor in my opinion then the pinto beans usually served with mexican foods. We also always serve it with brown rice-fiber and filler! :)

Try the roasted chick peas Nancy, they are amazing. If they like nuts they would probably love them! They are crunchy and nutty and oh so good! 

We also like fish tacos... yummmy! Another thing we like with fish, instead of the traditional tarter sauce, we really enjoy tzaztki (sp) sauce. It's a yogurt, dill, and cucumber sauce. We cut the cucumber small, and pat it dry, use greek yogurt, a little onion, onion powder, garlic powder,dill, and crumbled (so small it will almost melt from the acid of the yogurt) feta. Mix it, let it set for a couple of hours. YUMMY!

Are you sure they are that good .....

I could say, try fried chicken livers - they taste great and are loaded with vitamins and iron - they may be a bit high in cholesterol, but for a growing boy, that should not be a problem

In other words, taste is so subjective that recommending ANY food as "delicious" is a shot in the dark.

I am not saying we should not mention/suggest/recommend/extoll/ any food WE like, just don't EXPECT EVERYBODY ELSE to like it.

Now, back to this starving young man ..... the Pizza place that I used to work at when I was young had a all-you-can-eat buffet for lunch and a group of us used to go there .... several were young guys in their early 20's. The waitress used to say "hear come the stomachs" when she saw our cars pull into the parking lot. She used to joke that the owner hired me out of survival - that way he got more than just the cost of a meal for how much I ate.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

I personally would also rec chick peas over chicken livers for health. Chick peas ae also high in vitamins, protein and healthy things, with out the high amounts of not that great of fat for you. Many in my family did like livers though.. most of them weren't very healthy. lol I mean I'm not putting down those who eat chicken livers... if you like them! :) But, when healthy, I would think a bean is much healthier. :)

That's why I noted, IF they like nuts. Cause they taste pretty much like nuts. :)

To you, they taste like nuts .... to others, they may not - that was my point.

That said, I may have to try some roasted chick peas - they sound "interesting" .... and, I do like nuts.

I personally would also rec chick peas over chicken livers for health. Chick peas ae also high in vitamins, protein and healthy things, with out the high amounts of not that great of fat for you. Many in my family did like livers though.. most of them weren't very healthy. lol I mean I'm not putting down those who eat chicken livers... if you like them! :) But, when healthy, I would think a bean is much healthier. :)

They key words here are "I think" - you may be right, I do not know. Both liver and many legumes/beans contain nutrition ...... some of it in common, some not - as to which is ACTUALLY healthier is probably debatable and subject to just what nutrition the individual eating needs or should avoid.

Edited by Qapla

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Nancy--try this for your family.  Take a square 8x8 glass pan and pour in 1 cup of rice.  Lay 4 boneless chicken breasts or thighs (whatever you prefer) and sprinkle one packet of dry onion soup mix across the top.  Dot with about 8 pats of butter and then pour two and 1/2 cups of boiling water gently over all.  make sure the water is boiling.  put it in a 350 degree oven and bake for 45-55 mins.  Remove then let set for approx 10-15mins.  Makes 4 nice serving and you won't believe how good and simple this is to make.  The rice is excellent--not just my opinion but everyone who has ever had it.  I have had many people tell me they make this just for the rice.  AS a side dish.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

• 1 month later...

Yes!  Any kind of beans and rice!!  Mix some sausage up with it.  That will keep him satisfied for awhile - maybe.  I could NEVER fill up my boys either.  I think all parents can relate to this problem.  And, Leslie, I will try your rice/chix idea.  Sounds delicious.  

I never came in this forum before and saw a post in a forum entitled "A Banquet of Well-Oiled Dishes" and figured it was about spiritual food and Faith was asking about an inactive family member.  It took me several posts to figure out what was going on, even after I guessed someone was talking about "spiritual worms" lol

Lol! Love the comments and I think my son would really like the chicken and rice,I'm making that today Leslie.

I made rib eye the other day and he said "Why can't we have this everyday!" Yeah.Can't afford it!

I told him to get a job at Longhorn Steak house maybe they'll give him a steak everyday.

I'm glad you liked it Nancy.  Here is another quick and easy chicken dish that is just as easy but with a totally different flavor.  Stick with the glass 8x8 pan and place your boneless chicken in it.  Pour a small bottle of Catalina Dressing over the top.  Sprinkle a solid heavy layer of Italian Bread crumbs (the ones in the round cardboard canister with a peel back foil top and plastic lid for recapping) the sprinkle with the Kraft Parmasean Cheese--a nice solid layer then bake ad 375 for about 45-55 minutes. 

It is so easy to make these dishes from the same big bag of chicken and so little clean up.  These were the types of things I felt comfortable with my boys making when I was not at home and they wanted something good and easy.  They made these two chicken dishes when they left home too.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I like to have food partly prepared at the beginning of the week, things like shredded chicken, chopped up veggies, boiled eggs and chopped fruit. That way if anyone is hungry or it's a meeting night I can throw together a quick meal.

Last night after dinner my husband was still hungry so I made a quick quesadilla with a little bit of salsa, shredded chicken and grated chicken between 2 burrito wraps and cooked it in our sandwich press. Chopped it up and served it with avocado and salsa. The quesadilla could easily be 'bulked up' with any cooked beans that you like or I've used chopped tomato! jalapeños and onion but the salsa is quick and easy.

Nancy--try this for your family.  Take a square 8x8 glass pan and pour in 1 cup of rice.  Lay 4 boneless chicken breasts or thighs (whatever you prefer) and sprinkle one packet of dry onion soup mix across the top.  Dot with about 8 pats of butter and then pour two and 1/2 cups of boiling water gently over all.  make sure the water is boiling.  put it in a 350 degree oven and bake for 45-55 mins.  Remove then let set for approx 10-15mins.  Makes 4 nice serving and you won't believe how good and simple this is to make.  The rice is excellent--not just my opinion but everyone who has ever had it.  I have had many people tell me they make this just for the rice.  AS a side dish.

I made a similar concoction regularly for my sons with bouillon instead of onion soup; used a bigger pan and more chicken.  I covered it with aluminum foil when in the oven. Husb didn't like it, of course, he never once said he liked anything, so that was no surprise. The boys liked it. :drool: