JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Nc gay marriage ceremonies, religious objection

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 3211 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Just heard on fox news that an officiant in nc can refuse to perform a same sex marriage ceremony, based on religious grounds. BUT they must give up the right to perform ANY and ALL marriages. I think they said Utah has same law. Wow. Guess it wont affect us bc we only marry jw's....

Just heard on fox news that an officiant in nc can refuse to perform a same sex marriage ceremony, based on religious grounds. BUT they must give up the right to perform ANY and ALL marriages. I think they said Utah has same law. Wow. Guess it wont affect us bc we only marry jw's....

It appears that the Constitution is being abused, wouldn't you say?

Kind of scary, as that is what keeps us able to preach, mostly everywhere. So, make the most of your service time, people!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/12/north-carolina-passes-law-letting-officials-opt-out-performing-same-sex/

RALEIGH, N.C. –  Under a law that took effect Thursday in North Carolina, employees who issue marriage licenses can refuse to complete paperwork for gay couples by invoking their religious beliefs — a move that could mean longer waits at courthouses for all those who want to wed, especially in rural counties with small staffs.

[...]

Under the law, some register of deeds workers who assemble licenses and magistrates who solemnize civil marriages can decide to stop performing all marriages — for both straight and gay couples — if they hold a "sincerely held religious objection." Employees with a religious objection must stop performing all marriage duties for at least six months.

The law is specifically aimed at court employees, not religious officiants. Since issuing marriage licenses and officiating civil marriages is a major part of the job description, legally the employee would have no more rights than a Witness who takes a job as a cashier at a tobacco shop then refuses to sell tobacco.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/12/north-carolina-passes-law-letting-officials-opt-out-performing-same-sex/

RALEIGH, N.C. – Under a law that took effect Thursday in North Carolina, employees who issue marriage licenses can refuse to complete paperwork for gay couples by invoking their religious beliefs — a move that could mean longer waits at courthouses for all those who want to wed, especially in rural counties with small staffs.

[...]

Under the law, some register of deeds workers who assemble licenses and magistrates who solemnize civil marriages can decide to stop performing all marriages — for both straight and gay couples — if they hold a "sincerely held religious objection." Employees with a religious objection must stop performing all marriage duties for at least six months.

The law is specifically aimed at court employees, not religious officiants. Since issuing marriage licenses and officiating civil marriages is a major part of the job description, legally the employee would have no more rights than a Witness who takes a job as a cashier at a tobacco shop then refuses to sell tobacco.

Ahh, that's a little different from the sensationalized report I heard (Or think I heard...). Makes more sense now.
Edited by User_123

Wait. Am I understanding this right that if someone refuses to be involved with a marriage of gay couples on religious grounds, that person has to give up their job? Do I have that right?

If so, then we can surely see Satan's hand in this even more so. For instance, while I don't know of any personally, I'm sure there are brothers and sisters whose job is to give marriage licenses, etc. So now those friends is/will face another test than the ones they're facing now.

What a Satanic driven world!!!

Wait. Am I understanding this right that if someone refuses to be involved with a marriage of gay couples on religious grounds, that person has to give up their job? Do I have that right?

Only the part of their job that directly relates to marriages.

Deed workers who prepare marriage licenses also prepare property deeds, and that aspect of their job remains unchanged. Magistrates are judges, and they would be allowed to remain judges.

Nobody is at risk of losing their job at all, the state is giving a legal protection to ones who would otherwise be forced to choose between violating their religious beliefs or losing their job.

Well Stavro, given your answer to the question it's obvious that I knew little of preparing licenses. I was under the impression, all this time, that preparing marriage licenses was just a clerical job which was why I made that comment about the possibility of some friends losing their job. I had no idea such employees were elected officials. (unless I got this part wrong too? ewwww).