JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Top of the head...

Went to Bethel yesterday for a few tracts and what a treat!

I met "grandpa." Grandpa is a Bethelite who's been there for at least, if I remember correctly, over 40 years. He loves to interact with the visitors and share. He and his wife had the privilege of serving in Myanmar (he's in the 2013 Yearbook).

Getting to the topic he had pictures. One picture was of a sister in Africa carrying a load on her head. And when I say load, I'm talking LOAD! Understand? Whew!

And other than listening to Grandpa which was such a treat in itself, in times past when seeing women doing that I'll say to myself "no way!" Yet I learned from Grandpa that they didn't just start doing that in the sense someone just plops something on their heads just like that. Nooo, they're trained from "infancy." Grandpa showed us a picture of a three year old girl with a brick on her head someone put there.

Edited by Luezette

Then gradually, one brick leads to two, etc. Then eventually the "little girl" as she grows up will be able to carry a load like the big people.

So learning from "infancy" doesn't necessarily include spiritual things as Bible study. It includes every day things like carrying a load on the top of your head. I guess it's something like teaching girls how to cook, care for the home as in washing, sewing, etc.

I cringe, just thinking about how much those heavy loads must compress the c-spine. :wacko: 

I sure hope they have access to a chiropractor. :huh: 

Glad to hear your tract re-supply run 

was such fun!  Thanks for sharing! ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

We had an article some years ago about women who carry loads on their heads. I shared it with a chiropractor that I was working for, and she said the article was correct and impressive. American's have terrible posture. Awake 8/8/87

Using Your Head—The African Way

..........Add to this the physical benefits: grace, balance, and strength. The book Tropical Surgery states: “The country people [in the tropics], who are often accustomed to walking with head loads, have well-developed back muscles and good posture. They seldom suffer from back strain.”

Nice privilege sis ...we just welcomed a Br. and Sis into our congregation who have been years in the circuit and district

work, I LOVE the comments and depth of maturity and years of experience they bring with them. Such a blessing , we dropped off a welcome bouquet of flowers yesterday and I just feel so at home and encouraged by them. Mom and pops of the congregation how great to have them.

All I can say is thanks to spell check lol Luezette and Pauline :)