JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

How to clean ....on the cheap

pnutts

Starting a new thread on how to clean on the cheap.

Here is my contribution.

Got yellow dull headlight lenses on your car?

Instead of spending $30 or so, you can used Tooth Paste :toothbrush:  - the white paste form. Dampen a paper towel put on a dab of

tooth paste. Scrub around for a couple of minutes. Rince off and dry with paper towel or clean rag. Voila, clean lens. It really works. :ecstatic:

Someone else mentioned "Deep Woods Off" spray - no experience on that one.

Now it's your turn. :D

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

Got some gooey glue from a price sticker stuck on something?

A little dab of butter, smeared across the goo and scratched around with your fingernail,

will loosen it.  Then, just rub away with a paper towel.

Beats spending four bucks on a bottle of "Goo Gone".  ^_^ 

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

This one is from my personal experimentation.

We were at a Home & Garden show and one of the vendors was advertising a paste that would clean the water deposits off of a plastic shower door. When I smelled the paste it smelled like polishing compound for cars. When I got home I tried a little automobile polishing compound on the shower door and it worked fine.

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

When the caulking in my shower gets discolored, I take a couple of paper towels and twist them into a long rope. I get them barely damp and then tuck them against the caulking in the shower. Once the damp paper towels are tucked against the caulking, i slowly pour a little bleach on it and let it soak for a while. It bleaches the caulking back to normal. This works on the vertical seams too. Be careful when you remove the wet paper towels. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

Here is an oldie for stinky sponges. Moisten the sponge and put it in the microwave for a minute or two. Let it cool before using it.

I played the role of susiehomemaker this weekend and acted on a decision I made long ago. To stop overbuying and be more thrifty. I made my own laundry detergent out of Pink Zote soap (1 large grated bar melted in 2 quarts of water over stove top) 1 cup of Borax powder, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup white vinegar, and enough to hot water to fill a 5 gallon bucket. You stir this up good then put the lid on the bucket and let set 24 hours. The next day stir again for a couple of minutes then fill an old detergent bottle (I got a glass jar that is huge --like an old fashioned canister jar--and fill it up 1/2 way then add equal amounts of water. You can add 5 gets if your favorite essential oil at this point. Just stir or shake the container prior to each use. Use 2/3 c for a load of laundry. This makes 10 gallons and is such a good laundry soap. It cost me 1.49 for the soap and I already had the washing soda and vinegar. The Borax was 3.99 and I only used 1 cup--so lots left to make more next year! It cost 2.50 to make 10 gallons which will last me a year or a little longer. I pay about 18.50 for the detergent I buy now which will roughly save me 200.00 and I don't have to buy it again for a year!! I washed two loads last night and Rick noticed without my asking what I used on the towels they felt so nice!

The fabric softener I made was 2 cups of whatever is your favorite hair conditioner mixed with 3 cups of hot vinegar till smooth and well blended then add 6 cups of water Again if you want to add 3-5 gtts essential oil you can but the fragrance from the hair conditioner was enough for me. I also bight a large decorative bottle to store this in and now my laundry room is looking downright homey! More than a room to do laundry.

I also made a stain remover, and Febreeze!

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I played the role of susiehomemaker this weekend and acted on a decision I made long ago. To stop overbuying and be more thrifty. I made my own laundry detergent out of Pink Zote soap (1 large grated bar melted in 2 quarts of water over stove top) 1 cup of Borax powder, 1 cup washing soda, 1 cup white vinegar, and enough to hot water to fill a 5 gallon bucket. You stir this up good then put the lid on the bucket and let set 24 hours. The next day stir again for a couple of minutes then fill an old detergent bottle (I got a glass jar that is huge --like an old fashioned canister jar--and fill it up 1/2 way then add equal amounts of water. You can add 5 gets if your favorite essential oil at this point. Just stir or shake the container prior to each use. Use 2/3 c for a load of laundry. This makes 10 gallons and is such a good laundry soap. It cost me 1.49 for the soap and I already had the washing soda and vinegar. The Borax was 3.99 and I only used 1 cup--so lots left to make more next year! It cost 2.50 to make 10 gallons which will last me a year or a little longer. I pay about 18.50 for the detergent I buy now which will roughly save me 200.00 and I don't have to buy it again for a year!! I washed two loads last night and Rick noticed without my asking what I used on the towels they felt so nice!

The fabric softener I made was 2 cups of whatever is your favorite hair conditioner mixed with 3 cups of hot vinegar till smooth and well blended then add 6 cups of water Again if you want to add 3-5 gtts essential oil you can but the fragrance from the hair conditioner was enough for me. I also bight a large decorative bottle to store this in and now my laundry room is looking downright homey! More than a room to do laundry.

I also made a stain remover, and Febreeze!

LeslieDean

good thread  (tu)   love to hear others' ideas

baking soda, vinegar, borax & hydrogen peroxide are excellent inexpensive cleaners for so many tasks...

* make a bak soda & water paste for a natural 'soft-scrub' ... 

non-abrasive for tubs, counters, appliances, oven, 

* bak soda eliminates aromas in frig, waste cans

* sprinkle on carpet & rugs before vacuum

* shake bak soda all around inside oven then spray with water for easy overnite oven cleaner without the hideous fumes of spray can oven cleaners

* vinegar & water to clean glass, most tile floors, countertops, remove streaks from stainless steel appliances & faucets

* running straight white vinegar thru coffee pot brew cycle,

followed by 2 more brew cycles of water eliminates mineral deposit build-up

* vinegar & bak soda in toilet, sinks for a 'white tornado' fizzy cleaning

* borax like Leslie mentions makes excellent washing soap, also eliminates bugs under sinks & in cabinets... 

also makes a good 'soft-scrub' type cleanser

*equal parts vinegar & olive oil make an excellent furniture polish, removes scuffs & marks too

* boil vinegar & water in microwave to loosen dried splatters, then wipe clean

> baking soda is a must-have in any kitchen,

when heated it emits CO2, it immediately exterminates kitchen fires

hydrogen peroxide makes an excellent stain remover (the main ingredient in Oxy Clean)

... and a fair grout cleaner

liquid castille soap such as Dr Bronners is so versatile...

with just 1 soap to wash clothes, dishes, floors, your hair, your dog etc

yes even your teeth <--  tried it but i just couldn't stick with this one Gimme Toothpaste!!   :toothbrush:

and it's concentrated- only use a few drops- it too can be an economical & time-saving choice. 

At that time those who fear Jehovah spoke with one another, each one with his companion,

and Jehovah kept paying attention and listening..." ~ Malachi 3:16

So far I have made Granite Tile Cleaner (pay 10.00 for a small bottle at Lowe's), Febreeze (10cents a bottle vs $5.00 a bottle and I am not stingy with it when I spray because I am worried about the cost ), Air freshner--gel type--smells delicious and even better when I think about the 6.99 to 7.99 I pay at the stores., sink and tub cleaner spray!  I spend a small fortune in cleaning supplies and now, for about $50.00 I have made enough cleaning supplies that will last me for over a year--and they work good too.  Smell great.  Plus I still have a lot of the products left so I may have a craft night and have some of the sisters over (have a few young newly weds) and we will make products for their homes and save them money!  Plus---IT WAS FUN!  Gosh-' I'm getting really old...I never would have thought making cleaning products as a theme for a party! 

LeslieDean

Has anyone made and used their own shampoo and conditioner?  I can really save a bundle there but I just can't bring myself to give up my hair products.  But at $40.00 -$50.00 a bottle per each hair product I might.  I love my Joico and it leaves me with great hair. I was going to buy a gallon of WEN but did not want to fork over the $235.00 before taxes and shipping to try it out.  It would be great if I really thought a box of baking soda and some Braggs ACV would do the trick.  Anyone here tried it?

LeslieDean

Has anyone made and used their own shampoo and conditioner?  I can really save a bundle there but I just can't bring myself to give up my hair products.  But at $40.00 -$50.00 a bottle per each hair product I might.  I love my Joico and it leaves me with great hair. I was going to buy a gallon of WEN but did not want to fork over the $235.00 before taxes and shipping to try it out.  It would be great if I really thought a box of baking soda and some Braggs ACV would do the trick.  Anyone here tried it?

I like the Bath & Body Works aromatherapy shampoo. My wife had a email coupon for 50% off and she ordered some stuff for herself and several bottles of shampoo for me all for $30 free shipping.

http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11669923&cp=12586965.12587148.16867236

Probably more information about us than you needed to know but there it is. If we meet in a crowd, I'm the one with the orange ginger smelling hair... :)