JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Not Your Father's Root Beer!

Ok, so here's my pic's. I have 5 gallons of Ninkasi IPA, 5 gallons of Hefe and 5 gallons of Riesling. The beer needs to be bottled now, still sweaty with flu so it'll have to wait till later this week. The wine is another 4 weeks yet. I cannot express my gratitude enough to the brother who taught me to do this. I just love doing things on my own, self sustaining and all. 

I have all my bottles and 3 more types of beer, at 5 gallons each, to make. I'm using a little of it as a barter for eggs and milk for now but will consider other bartering options later. Other than that I'm filling my personal Growlers first for my frig, cannot wait to taste it. 

post-1083-0-17257600-1441767408_thumb.jp

post-1083-0-11789200-1441767424_thumb.jp

post-1083-0-70023100-1441767437_thumb.jp

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

Cheryl

I am glad to see you a responsible imbiber, 5 PM I assume?

When we had our boat at Ilwaco no alcoholic beverages were served until the 'sun rose over the yardarm.'

Because the sails easily got tangled with the yardarm we kept it in the very bottom of the boat.

Solved two problems. :)  :D  :lol:

And now for the Coney Island beer.

Yep Jerry. I'm a light weight. If I have something too early I'll just STOP. Can't have that. I generally have stuff going till 8 or so. 

Way to go on the boat!! If you're in Ilwaco....on a boat....its summer....You're on vacation.....I think anytime is a good time! I loosen up a bit on vacation, sometimes. 

Edited by bagwell1987

Safeguard Your Heart for " Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" Matthew 12:34

The first time I ever tasted alcohol was after taking the nursing state boards examination.  All of our nursing class had gone out to eat at a swanky Mexican restaurant in OKC. The table had ordered pitches of various Margarita's and I tried my first one of many to follow (not that night but over the nest 35 years thus far)).  As we all sat there laughing, I  realized  that these girls that I had grown so fond of over the last year,  were all ready to return home and would not be involved in one another's every day lives. We would embark upon new career choices and would  be going our separate ways. I was very deep in thought with this new idea when our waiter came over and tapped me on the shoulder.  He had a beautiful concoction with lots of fancy fruit hanging for their dear lives off the sides of the glass.  It was a frozen swirl of colors the frost on the glass looked captivating.  I shook my head no telling him I did not order it and he proceeded to set in down in front of me gesturing that the man at the bar sent it to me.  I looked in that direction and saw a man in a business suit leaning back on the bar with a wicked smile on his face.  I told the waiter this time I did not want it.  The girl sitting next to me piped up "I'll take it if she doesn't" so I told her to help herself.  The rest of the girls started laughing and said the man looked deflated when I pushed the drink next to my table mate.  I never looked in his direction again.

The first time I ever had a drink that was not associated with a celebratory event or  an evening meal was on our first cruise experience.  I had a Mimosa with an early breakfast.  I thought "really"? this early?    But because my husband told me to relax and enjoy myself, (this was the first vacation we ever took together after struggling so many years) I drank it.  And enjoyed it.  The next morning it was a Bloody Mary which I liked a lot better.  The third morning it was a bloody Margarita that I was as equally fond of.  I think it was on that cruise I adopted the attitude that you can enjoy a spirited drink without looking at the clock.  I probably went for years before I had another drink.  I can honestly say that I Have never been what most people consider drunk.  I have had "too much" on several occasions but learned from that experience.  One time was after mowing and I came insdie with my sister and we fixed an "ice tea" size glass of apple moonshine (our first batch we ever made) and we drank it straight down on an empty stomach because well, it was hot outside and we were thirsty.  I went to stand up and go get another glass and I could not lift myself from the sofa.  I recall we just sat there giggling for the next hour or so.  The other couple of times I drank more than two found me just wanting to go to bed and to sleep.  I have heard alcohol can makes the mortals mans soul rejoice but in most cases it just makes mine sleepy. 

One thing my husband told me early on in his recovery process was that different alcohols made him behave differently.  His doctors in Oklahoma told him he was crazy that "alcohol was alcohol" and his behavior  had to be contributed to the mood he was in at the time of ingestion.  Not until we moved to LA and he entered a treatment facility did the doctors there tell him that different alcohols effected the brain differently.  Some will make you violent, some will mellow you and some make you plain stupid.  He was happy to hear this because he said he KNEW this was the case.  How could some guy with a PHD tell an experienced drunk how alcohol works?  He has not drank alcohol for over a couple of decades now.  He said he has lost the compulsion to drink.  He has learned on his own what Jehovah teaches us through his slave, "to think things all the way through (consequences) before acting on it"  It took a long time for him to learn to do this==for he had to learn the hard way, short jail stays, mandatory and voluntary treatment centers, countless detox stays and several family/court interventions.  The smell of alcohol now can trigger a gag reflex.  He now thinks he has grown "allergic" to alcohol.  I hope he is right.

LeslieDean

Thankful to be among friends everyday!

I've found out that certain alcohol's can make me sleepwalk!  It's not the amount - it's the actual alcohol.  My husband tells me I'm always looking for the bathroom when I sleepwalk and even though the bathroom is just off the bedroom, I always go to the wrong door or part of the room - never anywhere near the bathroom.  He'll show me the bathroom and then leave me alone and I come back out and go back to bed and I don't remember any of it the next day if it happens!  

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I've found out that certain alcohol's can make me sleepwalk!  It's not the amount - it's the actual alcohol.  My husband tells me I'm always looking for the bathroom when I sleepwalk and even though the bathroom is just off the bedroom, I always go to the wrong door or part of the room - never anywhere near the bathroom.  He'll show me the bathroom and then leave me alone and I come back out and go back to bed and I don't remember any of it the next day if it happens!  

I've never heard of that. Is it related to the grain used to make the alcohol?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I have no idea.  We caught onto it about 2 years ago.  I don't know if it's the grain used or the process or something else.  I could have one glass of a certain white wine and sleep walk that night.  But a couple of rum and coke's does nothing, it's really odd.

I have no idea.  We caught onto it about 2 years ago.  I don't know if it's the grain used or the process or something else.  I could have one glass of a certain white wine and sleep walk that night.  But a couple of rum and coke's does nothing, it's really odd.

You really have me curious now..

Is it all white wine?

Does any other alcohol do it?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

No, it's not all white wine - chardonnay seems to be one of the culprits.  I like Reisling wine too but it doesn't happen when I drink that or Moscato.  There is a kind of wine called "Rhine" that is white also, and it happens with that too, so I've stopped drinking it.  I never drink red wines because they used to give me migraines (don't take any chances even now) so I have no idea if any reds would also cause the problem. As far as other alcohol's are concerned, if I choose to have a mixed drink I usually have a spiced rum and juice or coke and I've never had a problem.  Haven't had any other hard alcohol's in quite a while.  A friend gave me a bottle of carmel vodka a while ago and I didn't have any trouble with that either.  Seems to be a "wine" related thing.

Edited by shali

I would lock he closet doors.  :D

Funny, my husband said I was trying to get into the closet one night and he asked me why and I told him I had to go to the bathroom.  For some reason I'm incapable of using door knobs or handles when I'm sleepwalking, which is probably a good thing!

No, it's not all white wine - chardonnay seems to be one of the culprits.  I like Reisling wine too but it doesn't happen when I drink that or Moscato.  There is a kind of wine called "Rhine" that is white also, and it happens with that too, so I've stopped drinking it.  I never drink red wines because they used to give me migraines (don't take any chances even now) so I have no idea if any reds would also cause the problem. As far as other alcohol's are concerned, if I choose to have a mixed drink I usually have a spiced rum and juice or coke and I've never had a problem.  Haven't had any other hard alcohol's in quite a while.  A friend gave me a bottle of carmel vodka a while ago and I didn't have any trouble with that either.  Seems to be a "wine" related thing.

There must be a chemistry answer in there somewhere. I found that some beer makes me very cranky and we think it is the yeast, that's why I was wondering about your reactions.

I have a reaction to beer.

I try not to disclose it to others, but since we are all friends here I will speak out.  

It makes me go to the bathroom often.

:D 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

I have a reaction to beer.

I try not to disclose it to others, but since we are all friends here I will speak out.  

It makes me go to the bathroom often.

:D

That's a common ailment that is easily remedied. Your body reacts to the beer and just thinks it has to get up. Just stay where you are and your body will adapt.

:lol:

That's a common ailment that is easily remedied. Your body reacts to the beer and just thinks it has to get up. Just stay where you are and your body will adapt.

That's what I am afraid of.

When I was flying my bladder matched fuel on board. 5 hours.

Now it is how far are from the nearest coffee stop? (A euphemism)

Old age is all it cracked up to be. Cheers, your day is coming.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Last time we went grocery shopping I was getting thirsty and was heading to the soft drink section for apple soda when I passed a cooler with hard apple cider in it. I had never tried it so we got one and split it. It was really tasty and quenched our thirst.

I've been reading some books that talk about French cooking and it seems they use a lot of alcohol in their recipes. I've always wanted to try to make beef bourguinon. Someday I'll follow Julia Child's instructions...

I tried it a few weeks back (someone gave me a bottle), you would never think that there was any amount of alcohol in it the way it tastes - finally, you can get buzzed off of root beer floats!

Better be careful with it.  The distributor told me today that Samuel Adams has the Coney Island Root Beer but the Not Your Dad's Root Beer is having a "glass bottle shortage issue" so their production is down for a little while.  What--I"ll send them all my empty bud bottles!

$50 a case, 5.9% alcohol   -  is the Coney version ju$t as potent too?      ...   beware, this goes down too easily - maybe the vanilla ice cream will slow down the bending of the arm motion required   ...   then again a straw may even easier!

guess what friends brought over after the meeting today for a gathering   ...  http://coneyislandbeer.com   ...   we did lengthy taste test comparisons   -   and the winner is   ...? ! * % #  ...   errrr, what were we suppose to be doing  @@ !@#$ ?> ><(* && === 0 -2 9 87     ...  no wonder why you want to know what congregation i'm in!