JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Knitting

I've been knitting since I was 6 years old.  I switch between knit and crochet but I used to be a power knitter - could knit and put together a sweater in a weekend.  Hard to find nice yarns and decent knitting supplies anymore.  The big department stores don't carry the variety that they used to, and most people don't want anything like that handmade anymore.  So I mostly do baby stuff anymore.  I'm think I would consider myself a "dyed in the wool" kniiter!

Edited by shali

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

I love to knit! My mom learned to knit when she was in her 50's and she taught me in my 30's. Mom and I both just knitted up a storm all those years until she passed away in 2001 and I just kinda lost interest after I lost my knitting partner. We didn't just  do knit and purl, we looked for stuff with a challenge, like Aran sweaters, etc. Maybe I'll have to get out my needles and get them clickin' again

I wished I had paid attention when my mom tried to teach me . She was a wonderful knitter . Beautiful "Indian" sweaters as they called them at that time. Here on the west coast they have similar sweaters knit by the native women .....I think they call them Cowachin ( sp) after the name of he band .

But I can embroider which is pretty much a dead art . I still have all the embroidery needles and silk but haven't picked up my tools to embroider in many years.

I've been knitting since I was 6 years old.  I switch between knit and crochet but I used to be a power knitter - could knit and put together a sweater in a weekend.  Hard to find nice yarns and decent knitting supplies anymore.  The big department stores don't carry the variety that they used to, and most people don't want anything like that handmade anymore.  So I mostly do baby stuff anymore.  I'm think I would consider myself a "dyed in the wool" kniiter!

Wow that's fast! I know what you mean, it's the same here, not many yarn shops around. Plus wool is expensive. I stick to knitting small things, so baby clothes and toys. I follow a sister on Instagram who dyes her own wool - new world goals for me! 

I love to knit! My mom learned to knit when she was in her 50's and she taught me in my 30's. Mom and I both just knitted up a storm all those years until she passed away in 2001 and I just kinda lost interest after I lost my knitting partner. We didn't just  do knit and purl, we looked for stuff with a challenge, like Aran sweaters, etc. Maybe I'll have to get out my needles and get them clickin' again

ah you must have some lovely memories. I think there is something very special about doing a craft together, especially with someone you love. I think knitting is therapeutic too...something about the rhythmic clickety clack of the needles, and working with something soft is soothing. Definitely start again, then post a pic here! We will be your on line knitting partners x

I want to learn in the new order where I will have time

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Good plan. I think I would like to keep a farm of alpacas and angora rabbits to harvest my own yarn. :D

i can do both, but prefer crochet, because it is easier, for me, to correct a mis-stitch.

I wish I could crochet well, for me knitting seems easier. I will retry at some point, I do love crochet blankets.

I wished I had paid attention when my mom tried to teach me . She was a wonderful knitter . Beautiful "Indian" sweaters as they called them at that time. Here on the west coast they have similar sweaters knit by the native women .....I think they call them Cowachin ( sp) after the name of he band .

But I can embroider which is pretty much a dead art . I still have all the embroidery needles and silk but haven't picked up my tools to embroider in many years.

My mum gave up trying to teach me, I learnt from a book in my late 20s. Something about the way the author explained it just clicked with me.

I would love to be able to embroider, I think it requires a level of patience and precision that I do not possess!

I used to cross stitch quite a bit years ago too - did large projects for a framing store in exchange for knitting and cross-stitching supplies.  Knitted sweaters for display for them too.  I'm looking forward to taking it up again in the new system in a BIG way.  Life is just too busy anymore to do very much in way of a hobby.  Hard to find time for all the regular stuff let alone good personal study and increasing the ministry.  I hope to learn how to shear wool, dye it and spin it into yarn and REALLY make a sweater from scratch some day (it will probably "scratch" too!) LOL

I used to cross stitch quite a bit years ago too - did large projects for a framing store in exchange for knitting and cross-stitching supplies.  Knitted sweaters for display for them too.  I'm looking forward to taking it up again in the new system in a BIG way.  Life is just too busy anymore to do very much in way of a hobby.  Hard to find time for all the regular stuff let alone good personal study and increasing the ministry.  I hope to learn how to shear wool, dye it and spin it into yarn and REALLY make a sweater from scratch some day (it will probably "scratch" too!) LOL

I know what you mean. I have two small children (one is is nearly 4 and the other is 16 months). I only get the evenings for hobbies but then there is study, meetings, ironing...still, keeping busy keeps us out of trouble :D

The new series of Downton Abbey has started here, so it has been a relaxing evening stepping back in time watching that and knitting, along with a nice glass of red wine (which means I should probably check my work for mistakes in the morning :D)

It is exciting to think one day we will have the time to learn to make yarn from scratch. I follow a sister on Instagram (from Alaska I think) she dyes her own yarn, we will have to track her down to train us up!

Here in Mexico it's common to have an embroidered cloth to put warm tortillas in, so it's easy to find thread and patterns. My mom used to get her thread and yarn from Herrschner's catalog. When she passed away I sorted through boxes and boxes of yarn and thread and crafty stuff. Unfortunately most of it smelled of smoke, but I think my dad found a group to donate it all to.

I learned to knit and crochet when I was quite young. I made sweaters and dresses for my teddy bears. I did both until a few years ago, because of the cost. My niece makes her own yarn from wool that she gets a farm near her. Her things are absolutely beautiful.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

I used to make the jackets from the kits that Mary Maxim sold and really enjoyed that.  I even learned how to graft out my own pictures to put into sweaters and jackets which was a real "high"!  I was a big Red Dwarf fan at one time and knit a jacket with the Red Dwarf opening shot on the back of it.  People used to stop me wherever I would go and ask where I got it.  I kinda miss those days when the creative juices ran more freely.

Edited by shali

That's the name I couldn't grasp it though I knew it was in there some where Brigette MARY MAXINE .

Mom made me one with a figure scatter as I aspired to be one until I fell and broke my tailbone well needless to say that was the end of that career LOL!

My grandmother (who taught me how to knit when I was six) used to knit each of us grandkids (4) one of those zip up jackets every other year or so!  I think she made me one with the figure skater on it too!  I remember having one with a kitten's face on it also.  I loved those jackets - so easy to put on and take off and so warm!  They were perfect for school and play and just about anything in between.  The last one I made was over 10 years ago, it had a picture of a baby dinosaur hatching out of an egg on it.   I knit it for a little boy in our congregation.  30 years ago when I came to this congregation I knit constantly.  You would of been hard pressed to find someone in my congregation who didn't have something I knitted for them.