JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Best Printer/Computer

I am one of the brothers tasked to find a printer to buy for our Congregation. Now do we have brothers who have experience working with these things? The same goes for a desktop Computer.

What is the best Printer/computer to get, in terms quality and durability?

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

Do not invest in Apple computer as the new DVD will not run on iOS only Windows.

Watchtower Library: Watchtower Library—2015 Edition will be available on DVD-ROM instead of on CD-ROM. Before requesting the 2015 edition, you should confirm that your computer is capable of reading DVD-ROMs. The program will run only on Microsoft Windows operating systems, Windows Vista and later. (It may be possible to run the program on Windows XP, but we are not able to provide technical support for the 2015 edition with that operating system.)

ASUS computers are good so are HP/Compaq. Some like Dell and others Acer ( not a fan of Acer myself ).  Printers, I prefer HP with  cartridges that I can refill. Other good ones are Canon and then Brother.

I do Not recommend Epson as they have chip problems and won't work again if removed before being empty, unless you use a chip reset tool.

Note Well that most printers say they are empty when they still have about 40% ink left. This is why I prefer cartridges that I can refill - have a spare set to fool the printer into using refilled ones.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping:

While it is true that WTLIB is made to run on Windows, it is very possible to run on Mac. There is a brother (at least I assume he's a brother) who created a program that allows you to run WTLIB on Mac. It's basically a separate program that allows you to install and run programs that are made only for windows. I'm currently running it on my Mac with no problems. A simple google search will lead you to the program. I personally know of a few halls that are running Mac's. 

I am one of the brothers tasked to find a printer to buy for our Congregation. Now do we have brothers who have experience working with these things? The same goes for a desktop Computer.

What is the best Printer/computer to get, in terms quality and durability?

Printer food for thought: Having a color inkjet printer for congregation use can prove very expensive if a pub decides to copy a WT or KM, even using refillable cartridges. Can run through color cartridges very fast. You might want to consider an laser printer even though they only print gray scale. The cost are about 3 cents a sheet vs 15 to 90 cents for inkjet. (half or less for refillable cartridges.) 

A refurbished laser printer with factory warranty can be had from STAPLES for less than $150 in the US.  Refills can be bought on the internet for as little as $12, good for about 1500 pages.  We bought two,  refurbished  scan, copy, fax printers for our hall and they are running strong for four years and about 12,000 copies.

I see there are some available out of South Africa, but I don't understand their pricing.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Actually Epson has just come out with a new printer (Supertank) that has super easy refillable tanks and if your congregation does a good amount of printing, this printer can save you a ton of money because their are no ink cartridges to buy and no mess in filling up the tanks.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/ecotank-super-tank-printers.do

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

If you have a brother that builds computers you can make a cheap AMD APU computer for about 300 bucks or so.

8}

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.75 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $386.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-09 14:36 EST-0500

If you have a brother that builds computers you can make a cheap AMD APU computer for about 300 bucks or so.

8}

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($82.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($45.89 @ OutletPC) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.75 @ OutletPC) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)  ($89.88 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $386.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-09 14:36 EST-0500

No keyboard, no mouse and no monitor.

For years I built my own computers, but now unless I do gaming or graphics, which don't, I can buy a factory unit for $350 or less, with a one year warranty and includes monitor, keyboard, Windows 8 and mouse. I think Windows 10 is still a free upgrade.

Typing this on a Dell laptop, 17.3 inch screen, new factory warranty, quad core Pentium, one year Dell warranty $309 with free shipping USA. I can and do use it for CAD. 

Bought PC for wife last year; Gateway Quad Core All-in-one computer W/ 4GB DDR3 500GB HDD WebCam Wifi DVD+RW, one year full warranty, free shipping USA. $299.99

Deals like these do require shopping around a little, but the time can be well spent.  :D 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

Hi Vern, I have built computers since about 1990, only recently gone back to factory units, it is easier at my age.

Usually you get a low quaility PSU and a slow mechanical hard drive;  but if it works it works.

Found that Overstock.com has older units if you are trying to save a few penny.s

Sounds like a put down to me, but maybe I am reading it wrong.

AMD Quad core is better than a Pentium Quad core?

That is good to know. 

Few pennies? 5,000 to 15000 pennies means quit a bit to to most of us. 

And where is the monitor mouse and keyboard? Throw those in for 35000 more pennies.

Where is the new factory warranty? 

My caveat was it was not for gaming or graphics. CAD works okay up to about 10 layers and that it is faster than I can type.

I see brothers buying $1200 computers plus $400 monitors, when all they use them for is email, internet and word processing.

The slowest and most inexpensive computer out there with window 7, vista, or 8.1 would more than take care of their needs.

A brother with about $1500 invested in his computer built just to play Flight Simulator came and looked at my $300 unit which was pumping out the scenery as fast as his, he couldn't believe it. (In reality Microsoft FS can't use much of a modern PC's capacity. What mine could not do is support three monitors.)

Any how, I just wanted our brothers and sisters that are not deeply into computers' to know they do not have to have the top of the line PC to have satisfactory performance that will fit there needs. WT Library does not require much capacity and neither do Caleb and Sophia videos.

Oops I forgot, I only have a 5400 rpm HD, but it keeps up with this senior. :D

I have a home built Asus board computer with AMD 8350 chip, 16 Gb RAM, a 2 TB HDD and a 500 Gb HDD with a 2 GB video card and a water cooler ( otherwise I can only use 4 cores ).

Each month I take several of the video releases and convert them into 1 DVD. Then I burn 3 or 4 copies for some who do not have computers.  The converter program uses all 8 cores and most of the RAM.

It really heats up without water cooler.

Consciousness, that annoying time between naps! :sleeping: