JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Priests to forgive abortion in Pope youth festival

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 4634 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Aw, now ain't he special. Do they honestly think 200 white confessionals will be enough?:raspberry:

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

It's so easy to be Catholic! LOL

Abortions

While I don't agree with anything remotely catholic in nature, I wonder if the thought of being absolved allows those who feel guilt and shame to become reconciled to Jehovah at a later date. I was raised with no real spiritual background, but my Mom made it quite clear that fornication was a sin against God.

While I floundered around, with no real belief system of my own, I did carry shame for engaging in such practices, because I did care about what God thought of me.

It's so easy to be Catholic! LOL

Abortions

While I don't agree with anything remotely catholic in nature, I wonder if the thought of being absolved allows those who feel guilt and shame to become reconciled to Jehovah at a later date. I was raised with no real spiritual background, but my Mom made it quite clear that fornication was a sin against God.

While I floundered around, with no real belief system of my own, I did carry shame for engaging in such practices, because I did care about what God thought of me.

Are you saying that's what the Pope had in mind when doing this?

I think he is trying to stop the church's membership numbers from dropping as fast as that are!

No, I don't think the Pope had anything to do with it. Jehovah uses each situation to his own benefit, and I wondered if at some later point those who had received 'forgiveness', if they became servants of Jehovah.

I work with a young lady who has had an abortion, and she feels incredible guilt and shame, and for her to hear that God is willing to forgive her is something that at a later date could impact how she responds to our message.

No, I don't think the Pope had anything to do with it. Jehovah uses each situation to his own benefit, and I wondered if at some later point those who had received 'forgiveness', if they became servants of Jehovah.

I work with a young lady who has had an abortion, and she feels incredible guilt and shame, and for her to hear that God is willing to forgive her is something that at a later date could impact how she responds to our message.

While your idea may have merit, I personally think that this is going to cause a great deal of confusion, and the idea will be transcendent, I feel, that a person can get away with anything. And do they all realize that this is for those who have "already been forgiven"? And how are they forgiven for having an abortion? It was supposed to be an ex-communicatable offense. It's so convoluted!!!:?

While your idea may have merit, I personally think that this is going to cause a great deal of confusion, and the idea will be transcendent, I feel, that a person can get away with anything. And do they all realize that this is for those who have "already been forgiven"? And how are they forgiven for having an abortion? It was supposed to be an ex-communicatable offense. It's so convoluted!!!:?

You're right, they may see it as a carte blanche to keep doing what they want, instead of recognizing it for the sin they've been committing. Obviously they're not forgiven, but the idea itself that God may forgive such a heinous action might incline the right hearted ones towards him is all I was thinking.

You're right, they may see it as a carte blanche to keep doing what they want, instead of recognizing it for the sin they've been committing. Obviously they're not forgiven, but the idea itself that God may forgive such a heinous action might incline the right hearted ones towards him is all I was thinking.

I hear ya.

I was a little confused about what it said about indulgences being for those who are forgiven. I thought at first (not being a former Catholic) that all these young people are going there to get blessed or whatever they call it but they all were supposed to have been already "forgiven." I wondered if they realized that. But then I read it again, and I guess that the church is GOING to forgive them and waive their Indulgences. It confused me. Anyway, it is very misleading to announce that there will be a blanket forgiveness. How can they possibly know what the heart condition is with all these young people! It's a joke. But, whatever....your friend might just see what you were hoping she'd see. That there IS hope for her even though she did something unacceptable to God. Hopefully she won't pursue the Pope!;)