JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2

I'm planning to see it when it comes out on March 25, 2016, but on the following Tuesday. I saw the first one on YouTube and thoroughly enjoyed it. And a bonus for the second one is it'll be the same writer, and cast. Saw  the prelude on youtube, and they now have a grown daughter. Looks good. And this is from someone who doesn't normally go to movies because, in general, they're all fifth. But this looks really good...and funny. I mean, for $11.10...it better be good as the trailer makes it out to be. Humph!

Edited by Luezette

My wife loved the first movie. I guess we will see this one too. I'm not much into romantic movies but this one was funny with all the Greek stereotypes.

She also loved "My Life in Ruins", by the same actress, and watches it again every now and then. When we travelled to Greece last year we recognized some places from that movie. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Big Fat Greek wedding 2 tonight with my sister.  Though it was rated PG, unfortunately I really can't recommend it. We both agreed it was a good story idea, but was brought undone by poor storytelling. Too many sub plots, rehashed jokes that weren't funny, sex jokes, & a gay sub plot too - all entirely unnecessary. There were some funny bits, but not enough.  While the 1st movie was fresh & original & funny, I found this to be a poor imitation.

It's my personal opinion, as a half Greek, that this really didn't hit the mark, especially as some jokes were off colour. Some may have found it charming, not understanding the real meaning. For me, it really stood out how much the world's standards have dropped since the first movie in 2002.  It's not something that as a witness I would recommend, but in saying that it isn't a totally objectionable movie that you'd walk out on. It's not the worst movie out there, but I know my money was wasted tonight.

Well Lucy, thank you so much for that review and it surely came right on time too, for a couple reasons.

First off, in watching the trailer on YouTube I did see some unchristIan stuff. So even though I was looking forward to this coming Tuesday, I was really still a little hesitant.

Secondly, today in reading the July 2016 WT public edition, the article about serving in Ghana, a couple (or two) had said something about simplifying their life. That began me thinking that I really don't need to spend my very limited income money to see this movie, that I can wait until it's shown on YouTube or Hulu that one of my sons is paying for. 

But actually, now that you have so lovingly given us a review that not only is it indeed unchristian, but it's not even as good as the first one, I am definitely not going to see it, even on YouTube or Hulu.

Thank you! :D You've helped me, one and foremost to have a clear conscience, simplify my life and just saved me some money. 

Edited by Luezette