JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

reading the printed page

I love technology as much as the next person  and do a fair amount of reading/studying on screen both for work and personal study.I am not a digital native but a digital immigrant. But I caught on early. But there is no replacement for reading an actual printed book. The feel of the paper and turning the pages and seeing the words on a printed page is like no other for me. I still read the Bible from my printed versions. I found the following article very interesting on the subject. I thought I would share for those that feel like me and aren't willing to give up on paper print anytime soon. 

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/reading-paper-screens/

I'll never give up on paper. For one reading digital copy can set off a migraine. I have noticed though that I do pretty good with e-paper and use it as a paper alternative. But, there is something about the weight of a book, the smell of hundred year old paper. You can't look at an ePub you've read a hundred times and see that it is well loved. For pure information digital is the way to go. But, when it comes to an overall experience there is no substitute for leather and paper. 

I love ePub  gave up on paper. 

reason ? I can enlarge fonts (my eyesight is not the best! ) 

also at night don't need external light because the screen serves as a light 

on top of that I can carry hundreds of books and digital publications on my iPad which comes handy when travelling 

my research is so much faster now ....   Please stop me ! Lol because I see so many benefits of electronic reading ! 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

58 minutes ago, Gregexplore said:

I love ePub  gave up on paper. 

reason ? I can enlarge fonts (my eyesight is not the best! ) 

also at night don't need external light because the screen serves as a light 

on top of that I can carry hundreds of books and digital publications on my iPad which comes handy when travelling 

my research is so much faster now ....   Please stop me ! Lol because I see so many benefits of electronic reading ! 

I totally agree Greg.

I have lugged one of those big bags, sometimes called 'elders bags', to the hall for many, many years, now all I take is my ipad.

Starting to walk upright again.

I still read a great number of paper books, novels, biographies and histories from the local library, but my theocratic library is in my laptop and ipad.

Virtually all outside research is done on the internet.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

I totally agree Greg.

I have lugged one of those big bags, sometimes called 'elders bags', to the hall for many, many years, now all I take is my ipad.

Starting to walk upright again.

I still read a great number of paper books, novels, biographies and histories from the local library, but my theocratic library is in my laptop and ipad.

Virtually all outside research is done on the internet.

+1

I too had a very big elders bag from Stoops Manufacturing. I loved it. But with everything I carried in it, it seemed like it weighed a ton. I'm glad I mustered the courage to dive into the tablet craze. Now it's much easier to go to meetings, whether it's congregation meetings, pioneer meetings, or elder meetings. 

Funny, last time I checked my book bag, it looked just like the day I stopped using it. It still had the last magazine we were studying, the school guidebook, the songbook, and the spiral notebook I used to haul around. I don't know how we did it back then. 

Yes, having the paper copy is good, but at least for now, the faithful slave is accommodating those who prefer paper and those who prefer technology alike. 

10 minutes ago, leoperales said:

Funny, last time I checked my book bag, it looked just like the day I stopped using it. It still had the last magazine we were studying, the school guidebook, the songbook, and the spiral notebook I used to haul around. I don't know how we did it back then. 

Much like mine, at the moment right beside my feet. Has KS10-E, some aux pioneer applications from 2014, Organized book, BE book.

It is a 35 year anniversary gift from my  wife.

Can't stand the thought of putting it in storage. :( 

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

1 hour ago, Old said:

Much like mine, at the moment right beside my feet. Has KS10-E, some aux pioneer applications from 2014, Organized book, BE book.

It is a 35 year anniversary gift from my  wife.

Can't stand the thought of putting it in storage. :( 

The Organized book. The green one, eh? My ks and songbook seemed to have yellowed in a years time. Yet another reason why I prefer epubs (or jw pubs, since I use JW Library). The pages never get yellow. 

Put me down as one who much prefers reading books to using a tablet...

However, I do know I have to get used to the tablet. Especially as we travel. Much lighter to carry, much more 'flier friendly'. But for study it will be very hard to get away from turning pages in an actual book.

I think that if everyone transitioned from paper to electronic media, someone will need to update Ray Bradbury's book to Fahrenheit 951

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Old said:

I won't say I have totally converted to ebooks, but my wife says I was swiping the page in my paper WT last week. :crying:

I use an old laptop as a music server, and sometimes have to use my tablet to research things on how to alter the server. I find myself touching the laptop screen instead of using the mousepad.  On occasion I have had iPad open in front of my desktop computer and end up typing on the wrong keyboard, and then wondering why there is no text appearing!

Not even started on paper yet!