JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Alaskan Volcano Erupts

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2950 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

Wonder if those 20 big quakes in Atka last week were a lead-up to this eruption?:huh:

56fa7a3fadd17_Pavloverupts.gif.009b61ab2

56fa7a5e0c3c8_Pavloverrupts2.gif.1a5103e

Pavlof Volcano, one of Alaska's most active, is 625 miles southwest of Anchorage on the Alaska Peninsula.

The volcano erupted Sunday afternoon, and by Monday morning an ash cloud had stretched northeast more than 400 miles into interior Alaska.

The U.S. Geological Survey reported that the volcano, located erupted at 4:18 p.m. local time (8:18 p.m. ET). The agency said that the eruption also led to tremors on the ground.

The agency says the volcano, which is about 4.4 miles in diameter, has had 40 known eruptions and "is one of the most consistently active volcanoes in the Aleutian arc."

The Alaska Volcano Observatory says that ash plumes from past eruptions have risen as high as 49,000 feet. During a previous eruption in 2013, ash plumes rose 27,000 feet.

The community closest to the volcano is Cold Bay, which is about 37 miles southwest of it and has a population of approximately 100 people. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/28/alaska-volcano-erupts-sending-ash-20000-feet-in-air.html

ofnbc2och0k1lxtiswv7.png

A very active volcano erupted in Alaska yesterday afternoon, sending a giant ash cloud up 37,000 feet in the air. Although the eruption is diverting some flights in the area, it will likely only serve as the subject of some beautiful photos—unless a bunch of ash gets sucked into the jet stream.

Located at the very tip of the Aleutian Islands, Pavlof Volcano is one of the most consistently active volcanoes in the region, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory. Pavlof saw eruptions of similar size in 2013 and 2014.

Although this sort of thing is relatively common, this morning the volcano alert level was raised to “warning,” meaning it’s a potentially hazardous eruption with significant emissions being spewed into the atmosphere. The USGS also raised the aviation code to “red,” meaning that flights are being re-routed to avoid the ash plume. Incredible shots are being captured by the local scientists and by passengers on planes that traveled near the volcano before the alert was raised.

http://gizmodo.com/a-massive-alaskan-volcano-eruption-could-throw-the-us-i-1767551030

CenJdxtUUAAnqE8.jpg

Macaw.gif.7e20ee7c5468da0c38cc5ef24b9d0f6d.gifRoss

Nobody has to DRIVE me crazy.5a5e0e53285e2_Nogrinning.gif.d89ec5b2e7a22c9f5ca954867b135e7b.gif  I'm close enough to WALK. 5a5e0e77dc7a9_YESGrinning.gif.e5056e95328247b6b6b3ba90ddccae77.gif

I wonder if we will continue to have active volcano's in the new world.  They are an awesome sight and obviously they help release pressure from within the planet but you couldn't live anywhere near one (or take advantage of the great soil at the base of most of these beasts, or the hot springs).  Perhaps Jehovah will somehow control them so that when they do erupt, no one will get hurt?  Or could they still serve their purpose if they were under the ocean instead? (I'm thinking the answer to that question is "yes".  It is something I was thinking about in bed the other night.  Will be still have volcano's, hurricanes, tornado's?  Only they won't hurt anyone because Jehovah can direct their paths?

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

7 hours ago, shali said:

It is something I was thinking about in bed the other night.

Acid reflux problems?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

9 hours ago, shali said:

I wonder if we will continue to have active volcano's in the new world.  They are an awesome sight and obviously they help release pressure from within the planet but you couldn't live anywhere near one (or take advantage of the great soil at the base of most of these beasts, or the hot springs).  Perhaps Jehovah will somehow control them so that when they do erupt, no one will get hurt?  Or could they still serve their purpose if they were under the ocean instead? (I'm thinking the answer to that question is "yes".  It is something I was thinking about in bed the other night.  Will be still have volcano's, hurricanes, tornado's?  Only they won't hurt anyone because Jehovah can direct their paths?

Speaking for myself, I think that all these events will continue. My thought is we would learn how to live with them. I have stood on a headland and watched the ocean during hurricane winds, Fascinating to say the least. I have been on ground zero during the North Ridge earthquake , what a fantastic revelation of powers involved in creation. If no one had got hurt and/or killed it would be a great memory.  Rebuild houses? Aren't we here to work? My idea of paradise is to learn how to live on this planet with the forces that Jehovah put into creation. I too look forward to sitting under my vine and fig tree when I am not called to do a little rebuilding here and there.  

Experiencing a full gale in a sailboat never made me condem the weather, just hoped it would let up while still had strength to deal with it. In the new system I hope I have the judgement to not go out in the gale or be absolutely sure I am within my God given abilities when I do it.

If we can forecast when a volcano is going to erupt and we know where not to be then, I am sure we would follow theocratic direction and get out of the way. Lots of brothers to move in with.

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.