JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Do You Prepare Dishes Using Clay/Earthenware?

I just purchased my first Terra Cotta Cazuela Cookware (from Spain) along with a claypot/tangine recipe book. I've read that food is much healthier and taste better when cooked in this type of bakeware.  (It's always been said that healthy eating starts with healthy oils and bakeware.)

I'll let you know how my first claypot dish comes out (chicken stew or chorizo and beans.) :) 

ca-20.jpg

Well, I finally made the dish Saturday night and it turned out superbly!  I seared the chicken parts on both sides then transferred them to the bakeware. Chopped and added red potatoes, carrots, pearl onions, crushed garlic. Baby eggplants were added towards the end since it is a delicate vegetable.  Added several spices for the finishing touch and slow-roasted in the oven for 2.5 to 3 hours.  I think the flavors blended very well.  I baked some bread and made a nice salad as a starter.

I think I'm going to enjoy claypot cooking!  :)

I have a few terra cotta  cookware pots and some flat  baking sheets.  They cook great.  I have been looking for one like the one you have.  Round, not too tall that I can cook shepherd's pie in.  My other pans/pots are Le Creuset type.  They are good but can be very heavy.  Good choice!  

Yours looks to have a glazed finish on it.

We used to have one made from clay that was not glazed. They cook without drying the food out. For the unglazed ones you first fill the pot with water and let it sit. The pot will absorb water and may feel damp to the touch. You put the food in and place the pot in a cold oven. Turn the oven on and wait for the food to be done. It turns out really nice.

Only thing to be careful of when it comes to earthenware pots is "where they come from". Not all clay is "lead free" or free of other contaminates that can taint the food that is cooked in them.

Clay pots work fine in electric or gas ovens when used properly.

"Let all things take place decently and by arrangement."
~ 1 Corinthians 14:40 ~

Thanks for the tips Brother John.  The method I used to season/cure the claypot before cooking was as you described,  based on the instructions that were attached. 

It is heavy to say the least-- but worth it. :) 

• 2 weeks later...