JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Danger of leaving facebook?

The Daily Mash (satirical online magazine) carries this:

Man who left Facebook never heard of again

01-04-16

fbdelete

A MAN who closed his Facebook account in August 2015 apparently no longer exists.

Tom Booker, 38, said he was leaving Facebook so that he could ‘get on with his day to day life like a normal person’. But this oblique and curious remark is the last anyone has heard of him.

Norman Steele, who was Booker’s friend on Facebook for six years, said: “Why would a person want to disappear from the world like that? Simply up and leave Facebook and not be aware of the latest Trending stories or Huffington Post blogs?

“It’s not like he moved to Instagram or Whatsapp. He simply departed the Internet altogether. At least when that MP in the 1970s disappeared into the sea he left a pile of clothes behind him.”

A police spokesman said, “We’ve looked at his Facebook history, searched Events he might have planned to attend or posts of friends he might have ‘liked’ but we’ve drawn a blank.

“We could look on Twitter but that’s such a bottomless quagmire we’d have to bring in outside frogmen with special dredging equipment.”

I am in the process of leaving Facebook. As soon as one person found out I had a facebook account a family member felt dissed because I would not befriend them. Then another and another! Now I am getting a request from a sister in my congregation asking everyone to forward her remark to all their friends. The remark is fine. But she adds to it that she knows who her friends are and whether or not they shared it. I mean REALLY! I am being threatened to do something on pain of hurting her feelings, (or who knows what else). I DON'T LIKE THAT! I don't like that my phone is flashing blue and thinking it is something important when it is just a notification that I have been poked. So I follow the links thinking it will tell me something. IT DOES NOT! Aside from getting an offer to befriend still other persons, which I decline, it syncs & I am done. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME! If it wasn't for my grandson asking me to befriend him I would uninstall this "time warp", (or is it "warped time"). Then there are my other grandchildren. Why am I not befriending them? There are also people are sharing things on my timeline that are cute, and scriptural. That's okay. But I am also seeing things form places I would not want to go to. So now, branded in my brain is the proof that my beloveds are surfing in shark infested waters. I don't need to know that and I don't need to go there myself & wield sword in spiritual combat only to find that Yoda is warning me to "remember the cave"! 

That's it! Facebook is right now receiving the uninstall from my phone. I hope I can survive it.

I like Instagram..We have a private account, and when someone requests to follow me, I first go to their page to get to know something about them..jw.org is a must! All I post are my Day's Text videos and Cart Work videos..Even thought Facebook owns Instagram (I have never had a Facebook account), one can set up an Instagram account just using an email address and choose not to receive notifications..Mostly, those who follow me like my artwork video..usually no comments...Someone could leave a comment..so it is a way to touch base!

My husband and I are "uhoohello" if you have an account and want to follow us. We follow jw_inspirational and other JW sites mostly!

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

Yeah! I set up an account for an older sister (older than me!) who suffers depression ..Now she is like a different person! She loves the JW PicsArt_04-01-12.19.40.thumb.jpg.54fdba1sites and now  feels more connected to the worldwide brotherhood! She and we suffer isolation due to chemical sensitivities! Here is my text for tomorrow..

Jehovah is "walking upon the wings of the wind" PS. 104:3b

cat2_e0.gif

9 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

Greg, I just requested to follow you..haha!

Me too!

10 hours ago, SUNRAY said:

I like Instagram..We have a private account, and when someone requests to follow me, I first go to their page to get to know something about them..jw.org is a must! All I post are my Day's Text videos and Cart Work videos..Even thought Facebook owns Instagram (I have never had a Facebook account), one can set up an Instagram account just using an email address and choose not to receive notifications..Mostly, those who follow me like my artwork video..usually no comments...Someone could leave a comment..so it is a way to touch base!

My husband and I are "uhoohello" if you have an account and want to follow us. We follow jw_inspirational and other JW sites mostly!

Hi Sunray - I'm on Instagram also - just sent a "follow" request!