JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Corn Bread...

Oh I truly hope I'm in the correct thread, though I did tap on the banquet dishes one. 

Anyway, just wanted to share that today, after a couple of decades, I baked a pan of Indian Head corn bread,  the white one. 

Oh my! Oh my and oh my again!! I left out the eggs simply because I didn't have any but, oh my! DELICIOUS! And not only was it delicious but in munching some, it brought back warm memories of my grandmother (mom's mom), baking for my kids when they were young, being down South (Virginia), during the summers with my aunt on her farm, being with the chickens, the pigs (my sister and I used to "clean" them with bubbles from the kids bubble jars, lol), being with the neighbor Rebecca and her grandmother, and a neighbor boy who my sister claimed liked me (actually he liked her but who really knew?). 

All those sweet memories and more, just from eating a slice of Indian Head corn bread! :D

Edited by Luezette

Now I'm thinking of starting up baking again. I used to make, from scratch biscuits, sweet bread, apple crisps, peach cobblers, lemon meringue pie, potato salad (I got kinda lazy and started fixing macaroni salad which is easier and quicker), dumplings (the old way where you just mixed the flour, etc together and just literally kinda throw the things in the pot. Nothing like sweet grainy kinda salty dumplings cooking with fresh green beans. Thanks to my Aunt).  Oh and I mustn't forget them ham hogs, and turkey wings! Nothing like it with collard greens! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!

All from, again, one slice of Indian Head corn bread. 

18 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Now I'm thinking of starting up baking again. I used to make, from scratch biscuits, sweet bread, apple crisps, peach cobblers, lemon meringue pie, potato salad (I got kinda lazy and started fixing macaroni salad which is easier and quicker), dumplings (the old way where you just mixed the flour, etc together and just literally kinda throw the things in the pot. Nothing like sweet grainy kinda salty dumplings cooking with fresh green beans. Thanks to my Aunt).  Oh and I mustn't forget them ham hogs, and turkey wings! Nothing like it with collard greens! Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!

All from, again, one slice of Indian Head corn bread. 

Make me one of each! Thank you!

Edited by Old

Stupidity?

I am not sying I am Superman, I am only saying that nobody has ever seen Superman  and me in a room together.

31 minutes ago, Old said:

About thirty years ago...(MY, TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN)...NOT!  Well anyhow, I had a well seasoned cast iron     skillet...in which I use to make yellow cornbread....it was so easy to make, but so super delicious...I always

use to make yellow cornbread....it was so easy to make but so supremely wonderful....I had to put  on the table a cube         of real butter, which was totally consumed by slathering it all over that....hot, out of the oven cornmeal 

delight.  Good memories....because this was before we all had to be VERY careful what we allowed ourselves

to eat .:(   Another reason to yearn for the new world....imagine, all the cornbread you want for free.

Edited by nanceebgd46

Nancee. So let's talk about butter. As in...what's that? Lol. 

Seriously, I haven't tasted real butter since I don't really know when! The closest I get to the real thing is Trader Joe's butter. But even with them it's lacking somewhat in something. But it's better than nothing I guess. 

Do you remember lard? That stuff made the best biscuits! I used Crisco. 

And eggs? Well, I guess we're just have to wait for the new world to eat real eggs...as in straight from the chicken...from right underneath her. 

And milk. What a sad, sad day they decided to homogenized it. But one has to taste milk straight from the cow to really appreciate its warm sweetness.

:DSorry all, I tried to edit my post...but...it didn't work!  Guess I took to long...now you 

get to read part of my post TWICE for emphasis.  Obviously, I am having trouble with

this new and improved:blink: setup!

nanceebgd

Edited by nanceebgd46

11 minutes ago, Luezette said:

Nancee. So let's talk about butter. As in...what's that? Lol. 

Seriously, I haven't tasted real butter since I don't really know when! The closest I get to the real thing is Trader Joe's butter. But even with them it's lacking somewhat in something. But it's better than nothing I guess. 

Do you remember lard? That stuff made the best biscuits! I used Crisco. 

And eggs? Well, I guess we're just have to wait for the new world to eat real eggs...as in straight from the chicken...from right underneath her. 

And milk. What a sad, sad day they decided to homogenized it. But one has to taste milk straight from the cow to really appreciate its warm sweetness.

Thanks Luezette for your kind words and moral support.  Yes, the only time we will be able to eat without regret, will be in the new world.

Yes, I use to use Crisco to make all kinds of stuff...especially...biscuits...I made them in the same cast iron skillet...that I made the cornbread in...

good memories!   P.S.  Yep, I look forward to having all the butter I want...in fact, if they ask us what job

description we would be good at...I already have it planned out to raise my hand for the bakery detail.:D

Edited by nanceebgd46

error in typing

43 minutes ago, Jewelz said:

Recipe please emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jewelz...tomorrow, I'll come back to this thread and type out the recipe for the cornbread...I lived in California for most of my life, and I use

to use Albers Yellow Cornmeal.  I am letting you know this information, because I know you live in California...on the back of the box of

Albers....they have a recipe for cornbread....which is excellent...in fact, in 1968 I saw that same recipe on the back of this cornmeal box...and I have

made it too many times to remember.  

P.S.  I won't forget:uhhuh: 

nanceebgd

Edited by nanceebgd46

3 hours ago, Old said:

Yeah, me too please! ...with xtra on the peach cobbler and apple crisps.:eat:

I'm good for some yard work, weed eating, some mechanical stuff, basic house broken domesticated male type stuff. Denise will rent me out pretty cheap,  mostly for peach cobbler--

20 hours ago, Jewelz said:

Recipe please emoji4.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the recipe for Corn Bread ....using yellow corn meal...I use a brand named...Albers Yellow Corn Meal

Ingredients:                                                                                                                

1 cup Yellow Corn Meal

1 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar...(you can use less sugar if you want it a bit less sweet)

1 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1/3 cup vegetable oil

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Instructions:

1. PREHEAT oven to 400 F.  Grease 8-inch square baking pan or a round cast iron skillet...be liberal with greasing the pan...you can pour 1/3 cup of oil into your empty pan...this will give you a nice crust on your

finished corn bread.                                                       

2. COMBINE corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl;

COMBINE milk, oil and egg in small bowl, mix well.

Add milk mixture to flour mixture, stir JUST UNTIL blended.  Pour into 

prepared pan.

3.  BAKE for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Serve warm.

4.  NOTE  Recipe may be doubled...then use a 13X9-inch baking pan;

bake as above.

Edited by nanceebgd46

O.K., I'm a lazy cook.  So I buy the Chi-Chi's cornbread mix at the grocery store and a can of Creamed corn and I get RAVE reviews wherever I bring it! Really I do - everyone wants the recipe because the cornbread is so moist and delicous!

Don't live for the moment - live for the future! :D

33 minutes ago, shali said:

O.K., I'm a lazy cook.  So I buy the Chi-Chi's cornbread mix at the grocery store and a can of Creamed corn and I get RAVE reviews wherever I bring it! Really I do - everyone wants the recipe because the cornbread is so moist and delicous!

I bet Chi-Chi's mix taste super-duper ...remember these gems...."Keep it simple" or "Don't fix it if it ain't broke.":lol:

43 minutes ago, shali said:

So, what, you mix the creamed corn in the corn bread mix?..sounds yummy.

Mom used to make me and pops 'sweet' cornbread.  Not sure how,  maybe just extra suger?..we loved it, some butter, honey, mmmmmmm...

That did it, now I am even hungrier ---

Nancee, I like your recipe. As a matter of fact, that's exactly how the Indian Head brand is made. The only thing is though, I'm absolutely sure yours turned out better because you had egg in yours.

I'll make sure I have some eggs next time. mmmmm, yummy.

Edited by Luezette

And Tim and Denise, the creamed corn sounds delicious! It kinda reminds me of Trader Joe's brand. Their's actually have little teeny bits of real corn! The first time I chopped my teeth in theirs I was "whattt"? It was really good! The reason I chose Indian Head this time was because, other than Jiffy my mom used, Indian Head was my grandma's favorite. Jiffy, in my opinion, is just good for the almost cake like sweetness that's all.