JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

The tree of evolution revamped

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2930 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

And most of it are just bacteria!

See the red dots? They are species that they theorize there must exist but haven't been found yet.

All the upper section of the tree are Bacteria. The left branches of the lower part are Archaea (microorganisms that don't have a nucleus, like bacteria, but that are completely different from bacteria in many aspects) and the small green branch to the lower right is Eukaryotes, that include fungi, plants, animals and some microorganisms which have a nucleus inside their cells.

:lol: I noticed that too and was doing some research last night.

That Lokiarchaeota phylum is theorized to be the "missing link" between the prokaryotic Archaea and the Eukaryotes. In other words, between simple bacteria-like unicellular creatures without a nucleus and the more complex cells that make up most of the living beings we see around us.

Those creatures haven't even been found yet and some biologists are already saying they cannot be a missing link of any kind. The world of evolutionary biology is crazy!

I was mentioning in the car group yesterday how instructive the biographical info of our brother, the Embryologist is (compared to middle school life science.)  As for naming, scientists have tried to get more creative than just scientisfic based nomenclature.  Up, down, top, bottom, strange, and charmed  are the 'flavors' of Quarks, it self a borrowed word from Finnegan's Wake.  However, many features named by scientists have long been taken from mythology, like Jupiter. The pic of eukaryotes was amusing, (but not necessarily surprising.)

It's all mind boggling, but shows the complexity of our Creator's abilities.  We are awe-inspiringly made.  We feature as a small branch of the tree, but we were created to have it all in submission.  Wow! 

I went for my early morning walk today, and I was thinking about all the birds singing, dogs barking, chickens clucking, etc - all those animals, plant, and slithering insects and plants and fungi I saw - all of them are eukaryotes.  We can't even see the other billions of life forms from the other part of the tree.  We are so insignificant, yet how Jehovah views us!

BTW, it was interesting to find out that Eukaryote comes from the Greek words for "well/good" eu and "nut" karyon.  That is because the eukaryotes have a nucleus, bound in a membrane.  A very good nut, Jehovah!

Human share a high percentage of genetic similarities with other  animals, obviously with differing  DNA sequencing, but only about 7 percent with bacteria, according to the studies I've read.  'Good nut,' very funny Sister Lucy in a  Latin/Greek kinda way. I l, too, like etymology.

Edited by kejedo

not finished

Anyone who has watched the Thor movie knows that Loki is not Thor's brother, nor is Thor a decendant

of Loki. Is this science ? I believe one of our brochures has pointed out the fact that more recent research has

shown Darwin's tree is more imagination than reality !

GStorrs46