JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

For those of you who don't know what the title means, Eurovision Song Contest is a European contest held every year since 1956. Every European country is represented by a (usually non-professional) singer or music band, and every country distributes a number of points among all performances. A lot of expectation is raised during the weeks previous to the contest, and then the night of the event the broadcast is followed by many millions of people. It used to be an extraordinary event when I was a child, then it gradually lost popularity during the last two decades, and only in recent years it has gained momentum again since people are allowed to vote from their homes.

I remember as a child my whole family watching the contest on tv. Although my parents didn't allow us to root openly for Spain since that was nationalistic, I have to admit we children felt excited when the Spanish singer received a good mark and disappointed when they finally didn't win (which was always, since Spain has only won that contest twice, both times during the sixties). :lol:

I haven't even watched the contest in the last years, but we watched a part of it last May 14, and couldn't help noticing how much it has changed. Every singer used to sing in their own language and to use different music styles. Now they all sing in English and all the songs sound exactly the same. Not bad, but the same. In fact, it seems music is no longer the heart of the matter, but the spectacle: most of the stress is put on lighting, special effects, costume design and so on. I'm not saying it's worse, simply it has changed as everything else has changed. Or maybe it's just that I don't get excited so much about most things anymore. :)

Did you watch Eurovision, and what impression did you get?

Edited by carlos

Oh yes, and Carlos I know exactly what you mean.  As a kid, I stayed up with my family to watch the older Eurovision of the 70's (I have Greek/Italian heritage).  And since 2012, I have watched it again, now with my own family.  It is still a singing contest, and I think by far they are very talented singers, but not so much European anymore.

My thoughts on the winner this year:  Loved the song, and understand the terrible personal tragedy that she sang about.  But it was political.  Borderline maybe but in view of the current situation happening in Crimea, it was meant to be a dig at Russia.  I notice the Russians immediately arked up about it.  Will this spill over into more conflict? Hmmmm.....

BTW, I was surprised to find out that a university in Melbourne has a course on Eurovision.  :confused:

The worst song won.

The jury votes are mostly political, a lot of callers votes are, too. I also believe the phone votes are rigged in favour of a political agenda. There is no way people voted for Ukraine's song. Literally everybody I asked who watvched it till now said the song was among the worst three, along with Israel.

Ruben, did you have a favourite song? I'm still deciding whether I like or really hate a couple of songs. I guess the reason I watch is for the corny performances and outfits, plus I love a good song, that's always a bonus.

Edited by hatcheckgirl

10 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Ruben, did you have a favourite song? I'm still deciding whether I like or really hate a couple of songs. I guess the reason I watch is for the corny performances and outfits, plus I love a good song, that's always a bonus.

I think I recall I liked Spain because she was gettin' all groovy on the dancefloor. Say yay!! And I think I liked the one that followed.... don't remember what country. Oh, and Russia's stage performance was spaced-out. Utterly amazing.

Sexual observation can mean many things - the homosexual/lesbian antics that are part of many acts, the transgender acts, the overtly sexually suggestive acts, and then let's not go into just the plain weird.  I get what you mean, and I think that everything else in the entertainment field is tainted that way too, so it makes it harder to just sit down and enjoy a good singing contest anymore.  It's a decision I feel I might be making too for the same reasons. 

9 hours ago, hatcheckgirl said:

Sexual observation can mean many things - the homosexual/lesbian antics that are part of many acts, the transgender acts, the overtly sexually suggestive acts, and then let's not go into just the plain weird.  I get what you mean, and I think that everything else in the entertainment field is tainted that way too, so it makes it harder to just sit down and enjoy a good singing contest anymore.  It's a decision I feel I might be making too for the same reasons. 

Well, Eurovision is a show with all of the above, sadly. I dont have anything against homosexuals/bisexuals/transgender/overtly sexually suggestive persons. I just don't want to entertain myself with a show that is celebrating these observations.

Sometimes i find a song nice even though i know the artist is homosexual. But I don't want to entertain myself with a show that so obviously celebrates these sexual observations as legit and something normal.

I remember watching the Eurovision in the 80's 90's 

we gathered with some friends and we loved watching and commented on the singers and their performance.

for several years now we stopped watching finding no real interest because of the downward performing...

it really showed the degradation of this world

this year we happened to watch it.... Although there were some nice songs 

seems all songs were the same .... 

Before it was not allowed to sing in English ...every country had its own specificity with its own language and it was really pleasant to listen to....

i guess it is called globalization :uhhuh: 

I don't remember the songs much, only that they all sounded the same. I think the Ukrainian song may have won because at least it was different.

But I do have a favorite: I don't remember the Russian song but the visual effects were absolutely amazing!

On the other hand, I did not see anything too sexual nor promoting a gay lifestyle this year. I only watched a part of the contest, so maybe those were the songs I did not see.

Last year Sweden won, so that's why it was held in Stockholm this year. Austria was the year before. This year did not have overtly gay acts, which was a change. I quite liked Belgium's entry, with its funky disco dance beat. Retro, but in a good way. Which can't be said for San Marino's disco entry.....

I'm not biased at all, but Dami Im from Australia is a pocket rocket of a performer.  She won the x-factor show last year, but she is more than just a winner of a commercial singing contest - she has the talent.  Australia sees itself in many ways as an extension of Europe due to its multiculturalism, and last year was invited to be a special guest, but this year was invited to compete in the semi-final, just like the other European countries have to.  I think this is part of the big sell for the push to globalise the Eurovision franchise.  With Justin Timberlake doing the half-time entertainment, it is only a matter of time before the Americans, and also the Asian market is exploited.

Say bye-bye to the Eurovision of old....