JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Dental insurance

Is anyone here well versed in dental insurance? My insurance expires the end of this month and I'm trying to decide if I should get insurance or pay as I go..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

How bad/good are your teeth and what regimen do you use to keep them perfect.?

If they can last till Armageddon then all seems good. But if ridden with cavities better to keep paying.

Sent from my SM-J100H using Tapatalk

The limitations they pay for major services and the caps on dental insurance usually make it a poor value for most consumers. Crunch the numbers by adding up the maximum potential benefit, compare that to you cost, and make a decision. It's really a personal choice but I see insurance as something for things that could be financial devastating rather than a big financial inconvenience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Mike said:

The limitations they pay for major services and the caps on dental insurance usually make it a poor value for most consumers. Crunch the numbers by adding up the maximum potential benefit, compare that to you cost, and make a decision. 

That's pretty much where I'm at, since my current coverage ends the end of this month I think I'll just pay as needed unless there is another option. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

I'm in the same boat as you Brother Richard and I'm still debating.  Meanwhile, I have a dental cleaning soon and my insurance will cover that at least.

This Obamacare Act (forced to pay insurance premiums) is draining me of what little resources I have.

I hate this system of things. <_<

How do you feel about dental procedures in Mexico Ricardo ?  I'm taking a good friend, an elder from our old congregation next month. It's the slow season in the summer.

Our friend says to save some dinero he's looking for a burro or horse tooth to replace his front missing tooth.   :deadhorse: I hope he's joking...

4 hours ago, Precision said:

Our friend says to save some dinero he's looking for a burro or horse tooth to replace his front missing tooth.   :deadhorse: I hope he's joking...

I  recall a movie (James Coburn,  Gene Hackman ) where they helped a Mexican guy with a bad tooth.

They used a fired rifle casing, cut it and fit it over his tooth..it helped.

Strangely,  the name of the movie?  'Bite the Bullit'...

3 hours ago, Gregexplore said:

You can always drink liquids without teeth ... solid foods are overrated ... why worry LOL   :lol1:

So that's my new dental plan, coffee, wine and Ensure...:lol:

Dental offices around the U.S. are now starting their own in-house discount programs. Some are better than insurance, in my opinion.  Ask your current office if they have one. If not, you might be better off changing offices.

There are also other dental discount programs covering many offices. One, for example, is Ameriplan (ameriplan.com I believe). You can check their current rates on their site. There are others that can be found on the interweb.

Edited by steadfast

Can't spell

34 minutes ago, steadfast said:

Dental offices around the U.S. are now starting their own in-house discount programs. Some are better than insurance, in my opinion.  Ask your current office if they have one. If not, you might be better off changing offices.

There are also other dental discount programs covering many offices. One, for example, is Ameriplan (ameriplan.com I believe). You can check their current rates on their site. There are others that can be found on the interweb.

Thanks, I had an exam yesterday and I talked to one of the people at the dental office and she gave me some good suggestions to look at the waiting period if I decide to get dental insurance.

She said a lot of people are cash only because the insurance premiums are more than their annual dental expenses.  I had already looked at that and decided to be cash only but I was curious if there were some low cost plans available.  

She also suggested that I check AARP, I have not done that yet.