Baking powder

1 Cup of Butter

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon sugar

Lemon Juice

2 Lg. Eggs

Nuts

1 Cup dried fruit

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality (good isn't it?)

Now go ahead...select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup etc.

Check the rum again, it must be right. Be sure the rum is of the highest quality,

Pour one level cup into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, try another cup of rum.

Open second bottle if necessary.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat until high.

If druit gets stuck in beater just pry it louce with a drewscriver.

Sample rum again, checking for tonscictincy.

Next soft two cups of pepper or salt ( it really doesn't matter which)

and sample rum again.

Sift 1/2 pint of lemon juice. Fold in chipped butter and strained nuts.

Add 1 bubblespoon of brown thugar, or whater ever color you can find.

Wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gedrees.

Now pour the whole mess in coven and ake. Check rum again and go to bed.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

well' date=' Vernalee, you had me going for a moment--until I read 'rum baking powder' (what on earth is that?!? LOL)

48136=2328-sFun_duh2.gif [/quote'] I fixed it. It didn't post the way it would in a cookbook.

For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.

Eeh lass, thou has our town to thank for yer Rum, Hick!!

Sir Anthony Bacon (business associate of the later US President George Washington) trained as a merchant here and took over the supply of everything for the British and Colonial (which would be America then)navies.As well as cannons from his foundry , he supplied rum from Whitehaven sugar plantation owners in Antigua and Jamaica, so that all sailors got their daily tot of rum. Rum was traded, since 1600's, for tobacco at all the Whitehaven tobacco Plantations on the East Coast of America - the town lost them when they were sequestered after the War of Independence/Revolution. Because of the Caribbean/Whitehaven sugar/rum trade and spice trade, combined with locally made butter, our town and its neighbour Parton invented Rum Butter to be eaten at all get-togethers with oatcakes, scones or crackers. competitions for making rum butter still go on at Country shows and when I was working at the Civil Service Pensions Department 30 years ago, they had County inter-office competitions among the women for best gingerbread, Rum butter and Rum Nicky.

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/food/foodlegends/Cumberland%20Rum%20Butter/

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/recipebook/index.php?option=com_rapidrecipe&page=viewrecipe&recipe_id=383

Cumberland Rum Nicky

Ingredients

6 ozs (170g) rich short pastry

1 oz (28g) preserved ginger

½ oz (14g) caster sugar

2 oz (54g) chopped dates

1 oz (28g) butter

1 tablespoon rum or a good tot - keep testing Hick!:tongue:

Method

1. Line a buttered pie plate with half the pastry and cover with the dates and ginger.

2. Beat the butter, sugar and rum and pour over the filling.

3. Cover with the remaining pastry like a covered pie or cut into strips and make a lattice over the top and bake in a moderately hot oven for 10-15 minutes.

4. Then turn down the heat and bake for approximately 30 minutes.

5. Serve with thick cream.

The ports of the Cumbrian coast were very active in the Rum and spice trade, which has led to the popularity of these ingredients in Cumbrian cooking. You can combine rum, dried fruit and brown sugar with Cumbrian varieties of apple (such as Forty Shilling, Carlisle Codling and Keswick Codling) to make a delicious and different Rum Nicky.(http://www.lake-district-guides.co.uk/general/lakesrecipes.html)

My favourite place in our town to visit and it's cafe:http://www.rumstory.co.uk/tour-entrance-courtyard-clock/ >:D<

This is a favorite of my family.

Restaurant-Quality Baked Potato Soup

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 45 Minutes

Yields: 6 servings

"Shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon and chopped green onions garnish this thick,

rich soup with half-and-half, chopped baked potato and onion."

INGREDIENTS:

2 potatoes

3 tablespoons margarine

2 cups chopped white onion

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

4 cups chicken stock

2 cups water 1/4 cup cornstarch

1 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

1 cup half-and-half

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

8 ounces bacon - cooked and crumbled

2 green onions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake potatoes for 1 hour, or until done. Set aside to cool.

2. Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender and golden brown. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes to make a roux.

Pour in chicken stock and water. Add cornstarch and mashed potato flakes. Season with salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Remove the skin from the cooled potatoes, and discard. Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, and stir into soup, along with the half-and-half.

Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick. Spoon into bowls, and garnish with shredded cheese, bacon and chopped green onion.

Nutrition Info (per serving)

Calories 525 (57% from fat) | Protein 19.9g | Fat 33.3g (sat 12.8g) | Carbohydrate 36.7g | Fiber 3.9g | Cholesterol 57mg | Iron 2mg |

Sodium 1817mg | Calcium 152mg

This is a favorite of my family.

Restaurant-Quality Baked Potato Soup

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 1 Hour 25 Minutes

Ready In: 1 Hour 45 Minutes

Yields: 6 servings

"Shredded cheddar, crumbled bacon and chopped green onions garnish this thick,

rich soup with half-and-half, chopped baked potato and onion."

INGREDIENTS:

2 potatoes

3 tablespoons margarine

2 cups chopped white onion

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

4 cups chicken stock

2 cups water 1/4 cup cornstarch

1 1/2 cups instant mashed potato flakes

1 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

1/8 teaspoon dried thyme

1 cup half-and-half

1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

8 ounces bacon - cooked and crumbled

2 green onions, chopped

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake potatoes for 1 hour, or until done. Set aside to cool.

2. Melt butter in a 3 quart saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until tender and golden brown. Stir in flour, and cook 5 minutes to make a roux.

Pour in chicken stock and water. Add cornstarch and mashed potato flakes. Season with salt, pepper, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.

3. Remove the skin from the cooled potatoes, and discard. Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch cubes, and stir into soup, along with the half-and-half.

Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until thick. Spoon into bowls, and garnish with shredded cheese, bacon and chopped green onion.

Nutrition Info (per serving)

Calories 525 (57% from fat) | Protein 19.9g | Fat 33.3g (sat 12.8g) | Carbohydrate 36.7g | Fiber 3.9g | Cholesterol 57mg | Iron 2mg |

Sodium 1817mg | Calcium 152mg

Yum....sounds delicious...I'll have to try this 'lo-cal' (LOL) recipe....truly sounds like 'comfort food'!

I intend to live forever...so far so good. :D

Best Rum Cake Ever

1 or 2 quarts of Rum

Baking powder

1 Cup of Butter

1 teaspoon soda

1 teaspoon sugar

Lemon Juice

2 Lg. Eggs

Nuts

1 Cup dried fruit

Before you start, sample the rum to check for quality (good isn't it?)

Now go ahead...select a large mixing bowl, measuring cup etc.

Check the rum again, it must be right. Be sure the rum is of the highest quality,

Pour one level cup into a glass and drink it as fast as you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl.

Add one seaspoon of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, try another cup of rum.

Open second bottle if necessary.

Add 2 arge leggs, 2 cups fried druit and beat until high.

If druit gets stuck in beater just pry it louce with a drewscriver.

Sample rum again, checking for tonscictincy.

Next soft two cups of pepper or salt ( it really doesn't matter which)

and sample rum again.

Sift 1/2 pint of lemon juice. Fold in chipped butter and strained nuts.

Add 1 bubblespoon of brown thugar, or whater ever color you can find.

Wix mell. Grease oven and turn cake pan to 350 gedrees.

Now pour the whole mess in coven and ake. Check rum again and go to bed.

I gave it a try but can't figure out why it taste like meat loaf.

We cannot incite if we are not in sight.___Heb.10:24,25

You must not have been hold'n your mouth right.:P

Oh, the rum tasted just fine. The other problem I had was getting the cake off the oven elements, a bit crispy.

Oh, the rum tasted just fine. The other problem I had was getting the cake off the oven elements, a bit crispy.

This recipe works best when prepared by a WOMAN. That's why your having a problem. I forgot to put that part in the directions.:raspberry:

This recipe works best when prepared by a WOMAN. That's why your having a problem. I forgot to put that part in the directions.:raspberry:

That explains it. They are a different creation. I scratched all the hair off my head trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I mixed the batter just like the directions said. (will need a bigger bottle of rum next time) I greased the oven turned the heat on and threw the batter in the cOven. Good thing I didn't bake chicken the night before.

This is SOOOOOOOOO good!

WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

•3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves , trimmed of excess fat and skin

•1 tablespoon vegetable oil

•3 medium jalapeño chiles

•3 poblano chiles (medium), stemmed, seeded, and cut into large pieces

•3 Anaheim chile peppers (medium), stemmed, seeded, and cut into large pieces

•2 medium onions , cut into large pieces (2 cups)

•6 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)

•1 tablespoon ground cumin

•1½ teaspoons ground coriander

•2 (14.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans , drained and rinsed

•3 cups low-sodium chicken broth

•3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)

•¼ cup minced fresh cilantro leaves

•4 scallions , white and light green parts sliced thin

1. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook without moving until skin is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken and lightly brown on other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate; remove and discard skin.

2. While chicken is browning, remove and discard ribs and seeds from 2 jalapeños; mince flesh. In food processor, process half of poblano chiles, Anaheim chiles, and onions until consistency of chunky salsa, ten to twelve 1-second pulses, scraping down sides of workbowl halfway through. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining poblano chiles, Anaheim chiles, and onions; combine with first batch (do not wash food processor blade or workbowl).

3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from Dutch oven (adding additional vegetable oil if necessary) and reduce heat to medium. Add minced jalapeños, chile-onion mixture, garlic, cumin, coriander, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.

4. Transfer 1 cup cooked vegetable mixture to now-empty food processor workbowl. Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup broth and process until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add vegetable-bean mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, and chicken breasts to Dutch oven and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until chicken registers 160 degrees (175 degrees if using thighs) on instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes (40 minutes if using thighs).

5. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large plate. Stir in remaining beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are heated through and chili has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.

6. Mince remaining jalapeño, reserving and mincing ribs and seeds (see note above), and set aside. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding bones. Stir shredded chicken, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and remaining minced jalapeño (with seeds if desired) into chili and return to simmer. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.

TECHNIQUE

1. Brown Chicken: Brown the bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts before poaching them to achieve deep chicken flavor.

2. Sauté Vegetables: To create a flavorful chile-centered base, sauté the trio of chiles and onion along with the spices and garlic.

3. Puree Vegetables: To thicken the chili, process 1 cup each of the sautéed chile mixture, beans, and broth in the food processor.

4. Stir in Fresh Chile: Add one minced raw jalapeño to the finished dish for a last-minute burst of chile flavor.

The Chosen Chiles

Using a combination of poblanos, Anaheims, and jalapeños is the key to achieving vibrant chile flavor. Here’s what each chile brings to the table.

Jalapeños: This small, smooth-skinned, forest-green chile provides heat and a bitter, green bell pepper-like flavor.

Anaheim: This long, medium-green, mildly spicy chile has an acidic, lemony bitterness.

Poblano: This large, heart-shaped, blackish-green chile is mild to medium-hot and packs a rich, vegetal, slightly sweet flavor.

Cannellini Beans

Other names: cannelinni (common misspelling)

White Italian kidney beans available dried and canned.