JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Forum 18: RUSSIA: Sharing belief restrictions, increased "extremism" punishments? - 4 July 2016

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2836 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

I'm going to pray that Putin doesn't sign the amendments... But not as I want but what the Universal Sovereign will allow...

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2195

"A clever move"

"An anti-terrorism package is almost certainly one that will pass", SOVA Center for Information and Analysis Director Aleksandr Verkhovsky commented to Forum 18 from Moscow on 22 June. So adding the sharing belief restrictions to such a package was "a clever move", because little if any Duma opposition could be raised at this stage.

The Federation Council, parliament’s upper chamber, approved the bill on 29 June at its final session before the summer break. It now only remains for President Putin to sign it into law. Once it reaches him, he has two weeks to sign or send back the law under Article 107 of the Constitution. Should Putin refuse to sign, the bill must be returned to the State Duma and Federation Council to be reconsidered.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Well, they are very specific in not wanting the truth to be spread in Russia if that law gets passed.  We know only Jehovah can save and protect the brothers and sisters there.  It will be terrifying for them (and all of us when it happens to us too).  But we have been receiving pretty clear scriptural instruction and encouragement to remain close to Jehovah for a while now.  It's about to happen, and soon all of us will be in the same boat.  And we know what awaits them when they get too close to Jehovah's eyeball....

Our prayers to Jehovah for you lovely friends in Russia.  We are united with you and know that Jehovah has this all in hand and will strengthen you to endure it.

That article says that houses would not be allowed to be used for religious means and only certain buildings could be used with permission...Sooo, does this mean that JW's couldn't even meet in their own homes without facing fines or does that mean we couldn't study with someone in their home? Also, does this ban public baptism, such as at our assemblies?.... Satan is really trying to hurry people along to do his will.... :( My prayers will be with my dear bro's and sis's in Russia!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

Correct me if I'm mistaken but does anyone remember an Awake article in 1990's about brothers in Russia encouraged to focus on Bible hope because after collapse of USSR the brothers were putting persons on notice that the Kingdom was going to take over earth's affairs? I'm paraphrasing but I was coming back to the truth about then and was encouraged that the brothers were bold after being behind the curtain and come out from behind that curtain with zeal. That's why to this day part of my love for the ministry is because of those dear bros!

Well the law has been passed. German media, despite being fond of Putin-bashing and Russia-bashing, are eerily silent on the issue again.

http://penews.org/news/religious-freedom-revoked-in-russia

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/10/mormons-pledge-to-stay-in-russia-despite-religious-clampdown

Guess it's time to pray for our brothers, strength and resolve.

If I look at how religious freedom is being handled in the USA at the moment, I think not much longer and we all ought to be expecting the same thing.

The law, which is to come into force in 2018, prohibits the exercise of missionary activity in residential areas, effectively banning religious gatherings such as home churches and prayer meetings among friends.

The law also requires believers who want to share their faith with others, including through the Internet and the distribution of literature, to first possess necessary documents from a religious association.

....let us hope that the great Tribulation has started before 2018........:D

6 minutes ago, Samira said:

The law, which is to come into force in 2018, prohibits the exercise of missionary activity in residential areas, effectively banning religious gatherings such as home churches and prayer meetings among friends.

The law also requires believers who want to share their faith with others, including through the Internet and the distribution of literature, to first possess necessary documents from a religious association.

....let us hope that the great Tribulation has started before 2018........:D

Is that right. Everywhere else says it comes into force on the 20th of this month.. Will double check though. 

Ah it's the bit about reporting a crime that comes into force on the 20th.

Edited by Mykyl

http://www.forum18.org/archive.php?article_id=2197

This article about the law  has me a bit worried  :confused: Isn't the law supposed to take place sometime in a couple of years? This says "It was published on the presidential website that day and comes into force on 20 July." Does that mean July 2oth of this year?!?!?!

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

35 minutes ago, cricket246 said:

This article about the law  has me a bit worried  :confused: Isn't the law supposed to take place sometime in a couple of years? This says "It was published on the presidential website that day and comes into force on 20 July." Does that mean July 2oth of this year?!?!?!

That's what I saw.

8 hours ago, cricket246 said:

Yes -  just 8 more days   ...   (You, yourself posted it Friday)

Edited by timpin

RUSSIA: USCIRF Condemns Enactment of Anti-Terrorism Laws

http://www.uscirf.gov/news-room/press-releases/russia-uscirf-condemns-enactment-anti-terrorism-laws

Under the guise of confronting terrorism, they would grant authorities sweeping powers to curtail civil liberties, including setting broad restrictions on religious practices that would make it very difficult for religious groups to operate.

Yes, but I figured that I misread the article :sweat: Sometimes I will read something but I miss the whole point or get dates/info mixed up. Also the media loves to switch things up and 2 or 3 reports can differ. :D I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch :lol::wub: