JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Life Straw (go bag)

Not sure if this is the right forum for this?  I am continuing to stock our "go bags" and am very interested in the Life Straw.  It sounds so much better than trying to lug water jugs or those little water pouches in a bag.  Does anyone have any experience with the Life Straw?  Pros/cons?  THANKS!

Just now, lgoldsmith said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this?  I am continuing to stock our "go bags" and am very interested in the Life Straw.  It sounds so much better than trying to lug water jugs or those little water pouches in a bag.  Does anyone have any experience with the Life Straw?  Pros/cons?  THANKS!

I have a similar product in my bag as a backup but the problem is if you are someplace that doesn't have any water at all...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

5 minutes ago, lgoldsmith said:

Thank you sister Lori.  That looks like a very handy thing to have.  We don't have Amazon here .. population isn't big enough, or some such nonsense, but I have had a look on Amazon UK and they have them there. (I have an English bank account so don't have to convert money). They also have them in a camping shop here I find, but they are horrendously expensive ... like most things here.  Usually cheaper to buy from UK or US even after factoring in the postage.  :)

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

4 hours ago, lgoldsmith said:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this?

This was a tough call, but I decided to move it out to the General Discussion and Chit Chat forum since it's more a product related topic more closely tied to disaster preparedness than Christian living.

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!

58 minutes ago, Sylv said:

We have them in our go bags, but have not tried using them. I like that it's so much easier to lug around than bottled water.

What do you do if you are some place that doesn't have any water?

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

40 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

What do you do if you are some place that doesn't have any water?

Dig down really deep?

Seriously, that could be a problem in some areas. However, where we live there are many lakes and rivers so I don't think it's going to be a big factor here. We may need walk 4.5 kilometers to Rogers Reservoir or 7 kilometers to get to Fairy Lake, but water isn't far off.

1 minute ago, Sylv said:

Dig down really deep?

Seriously, that could be a problem in some areas. However, where we live there are many lakes and rivers so I don't think it's going to be a big factor here. We may need walk 4.5 kilometers to Rogers Reservoir or 7 kilometers to get to Fairy Lake, but water isn't far off.

I've noticed that when people are evacuated during some natural disasters they may be temporarily housed in a school or large building as a shelter, I've seen news clips of flood victims sleeping in cots at a high school gym. I assume they would need to be self-sufficient as much as possible and have their own water.

22 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I've noticed that when people are evacuated during some natural disasters they may be temporarily housed in a school or large building as a shelter, I've seen news clips of flood victims sleeping in cots at a high school gym. I assume they would need to be self-sufficient as much as possible and have their own water.

I think that the problem would not be lack of water, but lack of clean, safe water. With the Life Straw, all water is safe, even the puddle on the sidewalk.

2 hours ago, Sylv said:

I think that the problem would not be lack of water, but lack of clean, safe water. With the Life Straw, all water is safe, even the puddle on the sidewalk.

Unless you know exactly where you will be in every emergency and are positive that some water will be available, my personal opinion is to have your own water as recommended and also have a filtration system such as the Life straw so you can use other water if it is available. 

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Unless you know exactly where you will be in every emergency and are positive that some water will be available, my personal opinion is to have your own water as recommended and also have a filtration system such as the Life straw so you can use other water if it is available. 

Oh, I agree! We still have some bottled water, but it's good to have options :)