JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Unlrelated question

I have a question and wondering if someone knows were I could look for some answers.. 

Ok so last year we bought a vehicle from a guy that needed a motor.. we paid him and got the title and have the vehicle. Then bought a motor and the friend putting it in was murdered.. so we've not been able to get anyone to work on it and it's just been sitting out of sight out of mind.. and we hadn't transferred the title yet because we couldn't get insurance on the van to switch.. well if we could we weren't aware of it. The guy contacted us in september that he had to pay taxes on it.. ok it was only $25 no big deal we could pay him, but my husband kept having a hard time getting him to meet up with him to pay it reimburse him.. anyway.. The Guy Junked the van that he already sold to us..(he apparently junked it already when he notified us) and we have the title.. what can we do? We don't really trust him to go about having a new title sent to him and redone. he's proved to be a very passive aggressive person and my husband really doesn't like dealing with him because of it.. we are just trying to sell it for what we paid for the van and the motor,  because if someone knows how to fix to put the motor in.. it's a great deal! I don't really want to junk the van because outside of the motor it's actually in good condition

Edited by Sweet_Dreams

signature2.jpg

So, what is your actual question?

If you have the title and the guys listed the van as junk or salvaged vehicle then you probably should contact DMV and tell them what happened.  They will know if your papers are good and if the guy did something illegal. .if his paperwork is good and he registered the van as salvaged and then sold it to you without full disclosure,  that is you knowing its a salvage,  then he is illegal. 

That's bad territory to be in, I hope it goes easy...

Sorry about the friend getting murdered. ..that's horrible...

If the van is sitting out and getting all weathered it's not going to be an easy sale. What kind is it?

I hope you didn't pay too much for it. With the additional cost of the engine purchase on top of the van purchase and the likelihood of you selling it all just to be rid of the whole mess, you may take a hit in the pocketbook. .

If you and your husband can get the engine in yourself,  you would have the vehicle that you needed in the first place,  plus it can be fun working a difficult problem out with your mate

(ok, I  have heard that it's fun, I  don't have much experience there)

Ok, I  was kidding :cowboy::coffee: I hope you get it resolved fairly painlessly. ..

1 hour ago, tekmantwo said:

So, what is your actual question?

If you have the title and the guys listed the van as junk or salvaged vehicle then you probably should contact DMV and tell them what happened.  They will know if your papers are good and if the guy did something illegal. .if his paperwork is good and he registered the van as salvaged and then sold it to you without full disclosure,  that is you knowing its a salvage,  then he is illegal. 

That's bad territory to be in, I hope it goes easy...

Sorry about the friend getting murdered. ..that's horrible...

If the van is sitting out and getting all weathered it's not going to be an easy sale. What kind is it?

I hope you didn't pay too much for it. With the additional cost of the engine purchase on top of the van purchase and the likelihood of you selling it all just to be rid of the whole mess, you may take a hit in the pocketbook. .

If you and your husband can get the engine in yourself,  you would have the vehicle that you needed in the first place,  plus it can be fun working a difficult problem out with your mate

(ok, I  have heard that it's fun, I  don't have much experience there)

Ok, I  was kidding :cowboy::coffee: I hope you get it resolved fairly painlessly. ..

I'm sorry I guess my question was what can we do? It's sitting in a garage it's a 2002 ford windstar limited .. the body is in good condition and aside from a tire needing to be replaced I'm not sure there's anything that needs to be done to the vehicle itself.. but no He sold it to us and there was nothing on the title.. so it was clear.. we were not aware there was any time limit to actually complete the name transfer , we have the signed title.. but apparently when they went to get tags on their other vehicle it came up and they had to pay $22 for taxes.. so he contacted my husband and we advised him we would pay it.. but my husband would have to meet up with him.. and he always gave my husband the run around, like saying he was out of town and stuff.. we had to transfer a title for another vehicle for our business today so my husband went to see about what we need to do since we can't get insurance on a vehicle we can't even drive.. and they said he junked it back in September.. so the guy junked it before he notified us.. Isn't this illegal since he already sold us the vehicle? we already paid him in full for it and have the receipts to prove it? The motor is ours so I'm not worried about that we have all the paper work.. it's just frustrating all around.. the guy that sold it to us always has a horrible attitude and is very passive aggressive.. so we are just trying to figure out what we can do.. 

my thought was to see if we can find someone to just finish putting the motor in.. The problem is we don't have the tools or I may be able to do it.. with google and youtube lol.. the friend that was going to fix it wasn't charging us as much.. everyone else wants almost as much as the vehicle cost to begin with.. so we were just going to sell it.. but then we find this out... so I'm not sure how that can happen.. 

signature2.jpg

Wow, that sounds like a rough deal, so sorry that's going on. ..

It really seems like you need to have DMV tell you where you stand according to the paperwork you have.  They are the ones that can tell you if the guy did anything illegal and then you can decide what to do about it. .If you didn't register it in your name, and make it officially yours, then it may be tough to argue that it was yours. It may wind up that the guy just registered his own vehicle, as salvaged, and you don't have any way to prove otherwise ,  the date on the forms is what matters,  not what he told you...

Yeah,  swapping engines isn't exactly easy, there can be some problems. Not having the tools available or being experienced in that arena can be daunting. 

It may be that you will have to just bite the bullet and pay someone to do it.  I hope you can at least break even....