JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Brothers and suits

The assembly is just around the corner and we just reviewed the video on getting ready for the assembly. I think it's high time for me to get some new suits. How often do you update your suit wardrobe?   Who does most of your clothes picking? Do brothers have a disadvantage and more or less than sisters?  I've seen how some brothers dress and I've thought to myself, yeah, he definitely needs the female touch to help with coordinating shirt ,tie and suit colors . I'm guilty of it myself and only notice after I get to the Hall and wonder - Yikes, did I dress myself in the dark again?

Of course modesty is the prime factor, so aside from that, any suggestions for picking a suit ? Or is this all based on personal taste and availability?

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

(this may end up like another "Beard" thread...)

I have no experience in picking a nice suit for a man.  But I do recognise a well-suited dresser - the French and Italians especially dress snappy.  And I do know metrosexual tight suits are a no-no.

In my congregation, there are at least two couples where the brother and sister co-ordinate the sister's dress colour with the brother's tie.  It looks cute, but personally I don't think it has to go that far.

How often do you update your suit wardrobe? Not nearly as often as I'd like, but I get by.

Who does most of your clothes picking? I pick out my own clothes, altho I do appreciate another pair of eyes.

Do brothers have a disadvantage and more or less than sisters? Pros and cons for each...Sisters get more shops and a larger selection, but it's a lot more difficult for them to find modest clothing.

any suggestions for picking a suit ? Or is this all based on personal taste and availability? You want to feel happy and comfortable with what you pick for yourself. If you will be wearing it a lot in the ministry, you will also want it to be more durable. Some suits will easily lose color in the sun, for example.

And what colour choice for your suit.  I think it depends on where you live, but in my part of the world, the colour choices seem to be grey, black, grey, blue, grey.  You stand out if you wear a brightly coloured suit.  Sisters have more choice in colours for their clothes.

Well,  I went out clothes shopping today.  First thing I did was prayed for guidance. Then checked out Sears  rolled my eyes at the only two colors available and their prices then went to a nice second hand store called Repeats and decided to just be sensible.. Found me 2 jackets and 4 ties to add to what I already have, that cost less than 1/2 of what 1 new suit would be.  That's that for this year for me.....hopefully.

The one showing favor to the lowly is lending to Jehovah

Brother Vinnie you will never go wrong in a black, blue or grey suit. Many Brothers look quite handsome in a pale grey or pale blue suit. Any fabric will do. It does not have to be expensive. It should never be too big or you will look like a baby.  My eyes go cross if I see a Brother with a mix matched suit on or a jacket that is not married to slacks.  The jacket should always be the same color as the slacks.  I always notice a good tie. A brother wore a New System tie to the meeting and it was a nice conversation piece. I believe some Brothers ( here in the south) are still wearing their brightly colored suits from their church days  this is fine but may not be appropriate for giving talks.

If I may...Since I'm no longer growing I still wear outfits I bought from many years ago.  Of course I ensure it looks appropriate for meetings and Service. One older Brother told us that he knows for sure the Friends do not really pay attention to your clothing (unless it is too tight too high or too low cut) because he set out to test his theory by wearing the same suit to each meeting and no one noticed!

I will admit I will buy fabric to make a special gown or dress for the Memorial or conventions and assemblies. I go to Goodwill and buy the reduced priced fine curtains and drapes and create dresses out of it! I'm into blues this year and love the way navy blue looks on me. I even make an outfit or two for the Sisters at no cost. Once I get a Sisters height, I can look at her and know her measurements and make her desired outfit accordingly.

When driving to a Bible study, I recently shared with a Sister that I look forward to the New System because not only would I like to make a sewing machine from scratch but I would like to grow my own cotton. The beauty of it all is that Sisters from even ancient times till now have worn long skirts or dresses the way I do, and so making outfits for them would be an easy delight. I really can't wait, for it will be an amazing truly perfect time!

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be pleasing to you, O Jehovah, my Rock and my Redeemer."

16 hours ago, Jonathan77 said:

And what colour choice for your suit.  I think it depends on where you live, but in my part of the world, the colour choices seem to be grey, black, grey, blue, grey.  You stand out if you wear a brightly coloured suit.  Sisters have more choice in colours for their clothes.

I like a nice brown suit too, which can be difficult to come by.

Here's a visual guide on suit colors, and matching them with shoes...

https://static.businessinsider.com/image/532b56c2ecad041a326d5b46/image.jpg?_ga=1.146209392.515617076.1493368318

I try to stay with darker colours as I was once tested by a good friend of mine many years ago. She said I was a "winter person" which means, darker clothes.  I mostly wear blue, grey or black. 

I do not own a white dress shirt and  have no plans too. I like solid colors in my dress shirts. I have a few dress shirts with patterns. 

I do believe in using a pocket square when wearing a suit. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay. I also like wearing a tie tack so my tie does not flap around. And besides I have some really fun looking ones. Again you can get them fairly cheap on Ebay.

Last but not least the tie. The tie is the most important item in wearing a suit. I have over 100 ties. Many came from E-bay with the pocket square. Fun to have many ties.

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”

I am able to go to local thrift stores and buy suits at a reasonable price. I have an average built, but if I need any minor adjustments my wife is an expert on the sewing machine!.

When I lived in Grand Rapids, Michigan we had a Goodwill Outlet wear I bought suits for 50 cents. Yes, 50 Cents. 

When we moved to Oregon, I found another thrift store retailer that was selling name brand suits for $1-3. So I picked up a few. Then while in the local Goodwill, I found a suit with a red liner and the name of a local car dealer owner. It fit me like it was tailored for me. I got it for $14. I went online and found the tailor in the Portland area and their suits start out at $2,000 as they are all custom made!

“Don't judge me on my past, I don't live there anymore.”