JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Lake Ontario Overflows its Banks. Massive Flooding

There must be a scripture somewhere insulting the sea. If there is not, there should be. Rochester, my home town, is not on the sea and has no beef with it, but it sure does with the lake.

Lake Ontario is a mini-sea in its own right. Along with the four other Great Lakes, it constitutes one fifth of the earth’s fresh water supply. People have built homes on the shores of the lake, figuring that where the lake is, the lake is. Why would you not? But this year, the lake level is two feet higher than normal. Imagine! The entire lake! Let some math nerd figure out the volume increase – it shouldn’t be hard. Actually, the idea appeals to me, except I’m lazy. Give it to some kid for homework or let him bring it to class for extra credit.

When a boat sails by, those people on the shore sweat. They do so even more some when a wind kicks up. Even in calm times, the water is lapping up against their foundations. Their beach as disappeared and their decks are submerged. The beach about which I wrote “Horses in Water’ no longer exists.

http://www.tomsheepandgoats.com/2006/09/horses_in_water.html

The government is passing out sandbags and sand to fill them with. Volunteers appear to help the beach dwellers out. My experience is that sandbags are okay for a day or two or modest rise, but not for much else. The lake level is supposed to be high – it is still rising – all season.

Why don’t they drain the lake? someone asks. Just open up the St. Lawrence river more and let that stuff drain out to the sea. Unfortunately, people live along the river, too. An entire city is there, Montreal Canada, and they are seriously flooded as it is. To drain 1 inch of water from Lake Ontario will result in a rise of 10 inches for Montreal and other river dwellers. “Go for it, anyway!” say the besieged lakeshore dwellers, but Canada says ‘no.’

They’re funny that way.

Image may contain: outdoor

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

2 minutes ago, jwhess said:

Whatever happened to the proposal to build a pipeline to transport Great lakes water to California and the West? :)

The water level at the Great Lakes have been sinking for years and people complained. Now there is more water again, the lake level rises again and people complain. There is never a happy medium. At least the falls look spectacular.

2 hours ago, inge said:

There is never a happy medium. 

Though it has nothing to do with anything, it does remind me of the time I came upon someone  beating up a fortune teller. Yet she was laughing. The more she was hit, the more she laughed. I broke up the fight and demanded: "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Just trying to strike a happy medium," he said.

(sorry)

Author of two ebooks and print, one on the opposition to the kingdom work in Russia, and one on the opposition in Western lands. Search: Tom Harley on Kindle and other ebook retailers.

1 hour ago, TrueTomHarley said:

Though it has nothing to do with anything, it does remind me of the time I came upon someone  beating up a fortune teller. Yet she was laughing. The more she was hit, the more she laughed. I broke up the fight and demanded: "What do you think you're doing?!"

"Just trying to strike a happy medium," he said.

(sorry)

I was thinking of the same joke...:lol:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D