JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Frog Talk

kejedo

SeaStars (sometimes called star fish) regenerate limbs (etc.)They have brought many a biology student to reconsider the theory of evolution.  Seastars are echinoderms not credited with a central brain. Yet, they can feed on species considered to be of a higher order.  They can use their suction cup arms to open higher level ( defined) bivalves. They then proceed with eversion of stomach, pushing their stomach into the the open shell and devouring its contents.  The sea star then redeposits its stomach into its own body. This seems to contradict evolutionary theories and has  given many students pause. Not every illustration will speak to every teachable person.  Thankfully, Jehovah has provided us with a glorious creation which praises him.  Happy differences.

That reminds me Pauline of a starfish in Australia that is deadly if you step on it (what isn't deadly in Aus?lol) but if  you turn it over and step on it again, it draws the poison back out. Wonder if Greg knows of that one?

PS:I agree about usuing illustrations, which is why I am enjoying proving or disproving this one so I can present it as fact - more research on my part needed yet though.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

One of my Bible Students has been an elementary school and pre-school teacher. Another is a secondary math teacher, like myself.  A third Bible Student is a retired accountant. I carefully pray about and prepare illustrations that will match each  person"s background and familiarity.  Jehovah does not leave us without appealing examples,  for whomever we meet.

Edited by kejedo

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  In fact consulting Jehovah even in the little things  you get to see what is and what isn't.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

1 minute ago, Stormswift said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  In fact consulting Jehovah even in the little things  you get to see what is and what isn't.

Yeppers, we are drops in a bucket when compared to Jehovah. We can be sure that we will forever be excited by new understanding . I used the illustration this week of when people in Jeremiah's day (Lamentations) were like offscouring in Jehovah's viewpoint. IN other scriptures we may look like offscouring to the world. But when we are using Brillo to clean a pan or pot, we need to ask ourselves if our behaviors or decisions are like those pieces of debris in Jehovah's eyes.  Everything in this month's broadcast describe me: health, age, regrets over past decisions. I sometimes dream that i am smoking a cigarette, I awaken in a panic and feel I need to be dfd. IN fact, the last time I smoked, I was preg with my first son. 1981. I got baptized 1987.  Jehovah is a perfect forgiver, us: not so much.

I was thinking about the story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." but decided not to post anything about it.

So, instead, I'll mention a memory of my older brother with his frogman toy that came in a Kellogg's cereal box (I think it was cornflakes).  The small plastic figure had a little chamber to add baking soda. It then maneuvered up and down, some, in  a sink full of water. Memory =  Four children elbowing each other for a spot at the bathroom sink to observe this, and being reminded by said older brother that this was his toy, and he was the benefactor of our viewing pleasure.  Of course, that entitled him to a greater degree of elbow room.  Would this be amusing to children today? 

3 hours ago, kejedo said:

I was thinking about the story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County." but decided not to post anything about it.

So, instead, I'll mention a memory of my older brother with his frogman toy that came in a Kellogg's cereal box (I think it was cornflakes).  The small plastic figure had a little chamber to add baking soda. It then maneuvered up and down, some, in  a sink full of water. Memory =  Four children elbowing each other for a spot at the bathroom sink to observe this, and being reminded by said older brother that this was his toy, and he was the benefactor of our viewing pleasure.  Of course, that entitled him to a greater degree of elbow room.  Would this be amusing to children today? 

If my recollector is recollecting properly I had one of those frogmen toys. I think we got a little submarine that worked like that as well. .