JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Frog Talk

kejedo

"What's the difference between frogs and toads?"  What's wrong with this question?  Toads are frogs.   Look up the biological taxonomy of these fascinating  amphibians. 

Toads and frogs are anurans, or tailless amphibians, one of the three distinct orders of living amphibians. The other two orders are the caecilians (limbless amphibians) and the tailed amphibians (salamanders and newts). 

Y (Kermit loving)S

Awake 1/22/1984

Natural Antifreeze
Humans have fantasized for years about the time when they would be able to deep-freeze someone and restore him to life sometime in the future. For some frogs, however, this is no fantasy. They do it every year.
Like other animals, frogs are faced with the problem of surviving winter without central heating or hearth fires. Their solution? They “just squat in the open until they freeze solid,” says a report in The Toronto Star. When spring comes around, the frog thaws out and starts croaking again.
Why doesn’t the freezing kill him? Biologist Kenneth Storey says: “We found frogs produce an anti-freeze molecule that we didn’t expect at all: glucose. People had said there was no way to use that as an anti-freeze, but frogs can.” Seemingly, because of this glucose, when the frog freezes, its tissue fluids turn to syrup instead of forming ice crystals that would expand and rupture its cells.

p.s Toads are not specifically mentioned in the Bible

I have three stories about Emma, not for the squeamish. She is terrified of frogs.

We first met in 1989. I was a partner in a painting and decorating firm and we had just taken on Emma as a trainee. We had the contract to paint and repair the outside of a school and I asked Emma to bitumen the railings around the little school pond.

"There won't be any frogs will there?"

"No, no. You'll be alright."

A short while later I heard a little scream and Emma was standing there as pale as I've ever seen anyone. In her kettle of bitumen was a little pair of eyes looking out.

We were married just over a year later but I still don't think she has forgiven me.

Circa 2002 and Emma was still able to occasionally walk the dog. By the side of the path there was some grass and then a little ditch with a soccer ball in it. I insisted that no one would have left it there if it was any good but she insisted on scrambling down to fetch it. She grabbed the ball and climbed out collapsing on the ground in exhaustion. It wasn't until we got home that I told her she had been lying on dozens of tiny frogs. The grass was covered in them. (The daft thing was there was a real risk of her getting stuck and me having to call for rescue.)

About 2009 and we are out with the dog in our electric wheelchairs - in the dark. After a few popping sounds of exploding frogs Emma had had enough and we came back at about 1/2mph.

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

I caught just a snippet of a Don Wilding Show on the travel channel, I think it was Mysteries at the Museum. He showed an apparatus that a person used in trying to  create a communication device (?)  (I think it was pre MOrse code.) It was comprised of machinery and frog body parts. It was unsuccessful in its operation, but a rather interesting piece of history.  If anyone saw that episode, let me know.  But don't tell Emma.

I'm guessing the would-be- inventor was impressed with the notion of frog communication and perhaps this was an early attempt at biomimetics  

59 minutes ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

After a few popping sounds of exploding frogs Emma had had enough and we came back at about 1/2mph.

Many people like to hear the sound of frogs croaking. Gruesome. ....:eek:

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

My mother lived in a very rural country area. She became very ill and refused to go to a hospital so with about an hour's notice, I  drove to her place and moved in to take care of her until she died.

One morning, I was cleaning in the bathroom and looked into the toilet bowl and there was the largest bullfrog I ever saw just staring back at me. We were  alone and I have no remembrance of how I got it out.  :crying:

One small crack doesn't mean you are broken; it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart..

Frog hoaxes:

Giant 52 lb frog: http://wafflesatnoon.com/is-this-giant-toad-a-hoax/  

recirculating photoshopped  man with enlarged frog strikes again.

Boiling Frog HOax: 

The boiling frog is a parable describing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of threats that arise gradually.

While some 19th-century experiments suggested that the underlying premise is true if the heating is sufficiently gradual,[1][2] according to contemporary biologists the premise is false: a frog that is gradually heated will jump out.[3][4] Indeed, thermoregulation by changing location is a fundamentally necessary survival strategy for frogs and other ectotherms. Wikipedia et al. 

When this premise arose 200 hundred years ago, some scientists tried to prove the hypothesis. The frog jumped out every time. They also tried decapitating and removing the brain from frogs to try to prove a frog would stay in gradually heating water until it was dead.  It has never been successfully verified. A youtube even purports to demonstrate this premise, but if one watches til the end, there is a disclaimer  which states that no frog was injured or killed in the vid, and that the final frog was a dummy.

If one is using this as an illustration, (I wouldn't choose it), he or she should mention it is a parable, not a fact. 

Y (hit or myth) S  

Edited by kejedo

4 minutes ago, kejedo said:

If one is using this as an illustration, (I wouldn't choose it), he or she should mention it is a parable, not a fact. 

Brother Malenfant mentioned it in his morning worship talk however he did say it was an illustration. ..

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 minute ago, Tortuga said:

Brother Malenfant mentioned it in his morning worship talk however he did say it was an illustration. ..

Loved that talk and his use of that illustration, which  I had stopped using because of what the 'hoax' site said, (which I don't personally put a lot of confidence in they are just another site with their opinions) but when you think about it not only is it a fact, that the application of this illustration is happening - it illustrates how our canaries, which include frogs are the very indicators of things that are awry.

In the event of disasters and events such as volcanic eruptions, the abscence of moths and frogs are very noticeable. The above illustration though is tribute to the way animals like frogs DO adapt until they can't anymore. 

12 hours ago, ChrisTheConfused said:

Can we do tortoises and turtles?

Some Turtles yes ... but not tortoises. 

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Having been a Biology and Life Science teacher, I find this illustration less convincing than others, unless it is prefaced as a metaphor.  Countless experiments, as cited by Wikipedia, can be researched. I did not use the hoax  site for this example.  Of course, if the speaker includes that it is a parable, it is less distracting to me.

I also enjoyed Brother Malenfant's  presentation. Sorry, I didn't catch his saying that the illustration was a parable. I am certainly NOT criticizing any Brother's method of teaching.  A young  Brother at our congregation recently used this boiling frog illustration. He certainly presented it as fact.  

Edited by kejedo

21 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Ok, so how many of us are going to try this at home?

I try this at home every day. I get into the shower. If it gets too hot, I dial it down or jump out. I do not stay in gradually increasingly high temps until I croak.  Wibbit

Kermit: It's not easy being green

Me: It's not easy being pauline

p.s. "I love frog and toad, put another dime in the juke box, Bay Bee.

On 6/16/2017 at 6:24 PM, kejedo said:

"What's the difference between frogs and toads?"

I haven't met any frogs but I have met a few toads...

And that,  my dear turtle is the problem ... unless we actually try it ourselves it is only fact or not fact according to contemporary biolisgists and if they are anything like contemporary archaelogists who say that the Exodus didn't happen because they stubbornly refuse to look at a timeline from the bible instead of popular opinion, then i don't hold much respect for their opinions.

My question is if this was not a fact, at what point does the frog jump out?

Frogs are well known for tolerating extreme temperatures - even to the point of freezing and still being alive. Fascinating little things.

PS: In the Hoax article they actually said it could be possilbe if the temperature was turned up very gradually. until contemporary scientists questioned it.

Edited by Stormswift

<p>"Jehovah chooses to either 'reveal' or 'conceal' - cherish what he reveals and be patient with what he conceals."

Yes completely away from contemporary opinion and based on facts only and as I said - unless we want to boil a frog alive, which none of us of course would want to do - it will remain a matter of opinion.

Edited by Stormswift

Yes I'd accept that as logical before the heat reached his internal organs.

And do not frogs legs grow back again? Or is that myth too?

8 minutes ago, tekmantwo said:

When his legs are done?

If you remove his legs and he doesn't jump out, then it proves that frogs use their legs to sense heat....:whistling:

13 minutes ago, Stormswift said:

Yes completely away from contemporary opinion and based on facts only and as I said - unless we want to boil a frog alive, which none of us of course would want to do - it will remain a matter of opinion.

Hmmm....

(Searching for a good boiled frog recipe....)

I've just done research on this Tort - going to wikipedia and as suspected there are some scientists who have actually tried this, sadly, however it proves that it does and can happen if you are to believe these earlier scientists from the 1880's (I'm sure frogs are still the same today) - one experiment being a gradual rise in temp and 2 1/2 hours later he came back and found the frog dead still in the water.

So it's down to whether you believe those who say theyv'e done it or the theories purported by later contemporary scientists.

11 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Hmmm....

(Searching for a good boiled frog recipe....)

Gotcha covered---

Stock: 
Peel and devein 1 lb of shrimp 24-26 count. Reserve the shells and set aside the shrimp. Place the shells under a broiler and cook until pink with a small bit of charring on the shells. In a medium stock pot(18-20 QT) with 6-8 quarts of water, chicken base, 6-8 cubes or equivalent, bring to a simmer, add frog bodies and simmer for 20 minutes. 

Strain, discard shrimp shells and pluck out frog meat from bones and reserve. Add stock back to the pot and add to stock, 1 medium onion chopped, 2 ribs of celery chopped, 1 red pepper chopped, 3 cloves of garlic minced, 1 lb of raw chicken breast or thighs, diced. Bring to simmer for 20 minutes. 

Get your rice cooking. 

Make a coffee w/cream colored roux, You may use Zatarains roux base for this with excellent results also. 

Add cooked frog, shrimp, okra, 1lb smoked sausage chopped and Tony Chachere's seasoning to taste. 
Simmer until roux is thick. 

Note: IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO FRESH OYSTERS, ADD THE lIQUOR IN THE FIRST STEP AND ADD THE WHOLE OYSTERS AT THE LAST. (Optional)