JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

WT Library on Mac

Hi there

I am seriously thinking of ditching my ageing Windows PC for an iMac.

My only concern is .........will I be able to run the WT library on it.

I have read the information on this site but as I have never used a MAC

I am not sure how successful it is or what it looks like.

http://watchtowerlibraryformac.info/en-GB/pages/1-home/content

I presume from what I have read the application is now OK to run 2010 Lib on Lion

Can any MAC users give me some advice please...:worship:

I don't want to make this fairly big change and regret it later if I can't access

the information on the WTL CD without problems.

( I know I posted a similar question a while back but I still need some guidance on this ..:sweat:)

Thanks in advance

My wife uses this on her iMac. There is a glitch that you have to install the 2009 WT Library and then copy the 2010 files in. They explain it on the site.

I don't know if they have fixed that yet or not.

Other than that it works just fine on her machine.

I keep a laptop with Windows 7 on it, just in case.

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

My wife uses this on her iMac. There is a glitch that you have to install the 2009 WT Library and then copy the 2010 files in. They explain it on the site.

I don't know if they have fixed that yet or not.

Other than that it works just fine on her machine.

I keep a laptop with Windows 7 on it, just in case.

Yes, they have fixed this glitch with the latest release of "WT Library for Mac"

Following the directions on the website that Steve posted works fine. The Brother was trying to get Apple to include it in the App store, but they refused. But I know several friends who have used the new version successfully.

I use a Mac exclusively and right now I am running a Macbook (Mac OS X version 10.6.8) with Parallels Desktop. With that I can run any Windows program and I use the Watchtower Library all the time on this machine. I much prefer a Mac to a Windows computer. >:D

I use a Mac exclusively and right now I am running a Macbook (Mac OS X version 10.6.8) with Parallels Desktop. With that I can run any Windows program and I use the Watchtower Library all the time on this machine. I much prefer a Mac to a Windows computer. >:D<

Thanks for the feedback

It seems that using the WT on mac will not be so difficult

But why do you say ......

I much prefer a Mac to a Windows computer.

If I am going to make a switch I really need to know that it is

worthwhile.

Mac's are obviously more expensive but presumably more secure.

Of course, I check the comments on the internet but probably they are put there by

Apple corp rather than genuine comments ( I am a pretty suspicious person!):detective:

I can trust what I read here.

So what other reasons are there to switch?

Thanks in advance..

This has been a source of controversy a lot and I certainly don't want to bring it here to our forum. So this is just my personal observations in the 'MAC vs PC" issue.

I prefer a Windows PC. I like the option of the many choices of software that the MAC does not have. Go to any store that sells software and look at the choices, you will find much more for PC then for MAC. Even though some of the software does the same thing, they do it differently enough to give you choices in personal preference. Apple software has to be "approved" by Apple and the fees they charge to allow the software keeps a lot of it off the Apple market, like the WT Library.

If a MAC needs repair and contrary to what Apple says, they often do, You will have a hard time finding a repair center. If they're isn't an Apple store in your area, then it means boxing it up and shipping it to Apple. They do not support independent repair centers, and they will not sell parts to them. I used to service MACs but stopped when my source for "after market" parts was put out of business by Apple.

If you need something for your Windows PC, you can walk into any store that sells computer parts and accessories and buy it. I like that kind of freedom.

I just haven't found a MAC to be that much better then a PC to overcome these issues.

Like I said, just my opinion and I will not argue the point :)

I use a Mac exclusively and right now I am running a Macbook (Mac OS X version 10.6.8) with Parallels Desktop. With that I can run any Windows program and I use the Watchtower Library all the time on this machine. I much prefer a Mac to a Windows computer. >:D<

Dorothy, when you run parellels - doesn't that run Windows in a "virtual machine? So, aren't you really just running Windows but on a Mac? Why not just run everything on the Mac - without Windows / Parrellels?

Plan ahead as if Armageddon will not come in your lifetime, but lead your life as if it will come tomorrow (w 2004 Dec. 1 page 29)

Soon .....

Dorothy, when you run parellels - doesn't that run Windows in a "virtual machine? So, aren't you really just running Windows but on a Mac? Why not just run everything on the Mac - without Windows / Parrellels?

Yes and for that matter, if you are going to run virtual Windows and a MAC with Windows programs, then a person could save time and money and just use a PC, right? :)

Dorothy, when you run parallels - doesn't that run Windows in a "virtual machine? So, aren't you really just running Windows but on a Mac? Why not just run everything on the Mac - without Windows / Parallels?

Yes and for that matter, if you are going to run virtual Windows and a MAC with Windows programs, then a person could save time and money and just use a PC, right? :)

On my wife's iMac we have dual booting setup. Hold down the control key to start up in Windows. Do nothing to start up in Mac. She uses the Windows side to do her business - and connect remotely to her clients. Most can set up VPNs easy enough with Windows - not so much Macs. I think this has to do with # of clients using the one over the other as well as limited experience with the Mac OS.

Anyway, they both boot up pretty quick ;)

Soon .....

This has been a source of controversy a lot and I certainly don't want to bring it here to our forum. So this is just my personal observations in the 'MAC vs PC" issue.

I prefer a Windows PC. I like the option of the many choices of software that the MAC does not have. Go to any store that sells software and look at the choices, you will find much more for PC then for MAC. Even though some of the software does the same thing, they do it differently enough to give you choices in personal preference. Apple software has to be "approved" by Apple and the fees they charge to allow the software keeps a lot of it off the Apple market, like the WT Library.

If a MAC needs repair and contrary to what Apple says, they often do, You will have a hard time finding a repair center. If they're isn't an Apple store in your area, then it means boxing it up and shipping it to Apple. They do not support independent repair centers, and they will not sell parts to them. I used to service MACs but stopped when my source for "after market" parts was put out of business by Apple.

If you need something for your Windows PC, you can walk into any store that sells computer parts and accessories and buy it. I like that kind of freedom.

I just haven't found a MAC to be that much better then a PC to overcome these issues.

Like I said, just my opinion and I will not argue the point :)

Thanks

Lot's of food for thought

I never considered the drawbacks of getting a MAC repaired.

I also read somewhere that iMACs have a sealed unit.

Stops the dust from getting in but, I guess, also stops people getting in:hammer:

I certainly like the look of the MAC and also I can use the English interface and Japanese

input more easily with KOTOERI but ....is it worth the expense?

mmmm..... I have to think about this more.

But thanks for the input.

Let's see..

I want to get a MAC

But they aren't so easy to hack

The repair cost is high

can't be done on the fly

The parts are not there

I might tear out my hair

But they look nice and stylish

and work well with wireless

What should I do?

It's not up to you.

I have to make a decision

based on logic and r'son ( sorry!)

I don't want to be snide

but I might be taken for a ride

This needs so much thought

much more than it ought

Maybe I'll just stick with windows:huh:

But you forgot the best reason why people buy Mac. It is the only computer with a half eaten apple on it. I think the apple represents your pocket book. LOL

So the Mac is a Lexus :-)

I have a website about healthy low carb eating, nutrition, and weight loss. Come join CarnivoreTalk.com and learn more!