JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Remembering someone’s name by going through the alphabet..

I find it interesting how memories are stored. Sometimes I can’t remember someone’s name but if I go through the alphabet a letter will stand out and is usually the initial of the first name or surname. Does this work for you?

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

Yes indeed...I have been using this technique for decades...it definitely works for me...in 

remembering names of people and other stored information...since I am  older

than I use to be...no kidding Nanceedefault_ohmy.png...it may take me a bit longer to come up with the

name of the person etc...but, usually...I can retrieve what I am thinking of... it just takes a  

little bit more patience on my part...than it use to.:unsure:  

Edited by nanceebgd46

edit

6 hours ago, Fiona said:

Yes actually. I try and see their name in print.. and the letter that stands out is normally the one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yes, this works for me as well.   The other thing I find helps me is to link the name to a funny picture in my head e.g. the name Shelly - I would picture a beach full of glowing shells.  Often it is easier to bring a picture to mind than to try and think of a word.

Works for me sometimes. I actually try uttering out the possible sounds when running through the alphabet. Doesn't always work, as I miss some possible syllables. 

I ran into a brother (not literally!) at our last RC that I hadn't seen in some 30 years. Got his name then, as I could connect the face. But, was asked his name just yesterday (one month later) and couldn't remember. Go figure. Thought about it throughout the day and it came in pieces. First, the beginning of the last name, then his first name. It wasn't until laying in bed that the full last name hit me (again, not literally). I didn't run through the alphabet, because I already knew how his last name started.

Thinking about it too hard sometimes gets you nowhere. Give it a break and, with time, more is revealed.

“It’s not how much we know that pleases Jehovah, but how we feel about what we know and how we have allowed that knowledge to increase our love for Jehovah.”

I suppose it depends how that memory was formed in the first place. Just as a sound, or as something written. And the initial letter might seem familiar because it is capitalised just like how we probably learned the alphabet. (Nort sure about Sesame Street.)

Puzzling over dreams can be interesting. (Not their interpretation!) Yesterday I dreamed I needed to buy a bike. When I got to the huge store it was shut in the middle of the afternoon. Presumably because my brain had decided it was too difficult to render all those complicated parts with my old G.P.U. :D

The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. Ec 12:13

On 8/14/2017 at 7:41 AM, nanceebgd46 said:

Yes indeed...I have been using this technique for decades...it definitely works for me...in 

remembering names of people and other stored information...since I am  older

than I use to be...no kidding Nanceedefault_ohmy.png...it may take me a bit longer to come up with the

name of the person etc...but, usually...I can retrieve what I am thinking of... it just takes a  

little bit more patience on my part...than it use to.:unsure:  

I share Nancee's experience TOTALLY.  

Sometimes going through the alphabet works for me and sometimes it doesn't.  Even IF "I think" I remember the first letter, it  may take some time before the name emerges and forms in my mind.

My most recent method is to try to associate the names of new people I meet with names or other characteristics of people I already know.  

But what amazes me nowadays is the fact that I can meet new people and in the next few minutes, literally, not have a clue what they said their names were. :confused: :confused:

53 minutes ago, ElizaJane said:

I share Nancee's experience TOTALLY.  

Sometimes going through the alphabet works for me and sometimes it doesn't.  Even IF "I think" I remember the first letter, it  may take some time before the name emerges and forms in my mind.

My most recent method is to try to associate the names of new people I meet with names or other characteristics of people I already know.  

But what amazes me nowadays is the fact that I can meet new people and in the next few minutes, literally, not have a clue what they said their names were. :confused: :confused:

I have heard it said that this phenomenon of hearing a person's name spoken...and then walking

away and forgetting it is quite common...and for a specific reason.  We forget because...as the

name is spoken, we are not truly paying attention to what is being said to us...our mind may be wandering

or already we're focused on what we  "what to say next."  So, I've found that if I pay attention and repeat the

name to myself...I'll  fare better in trying to remembering it in the future.:)

Edited by nanceebgd46

43 minutes ago, nanceebgd46 said:

I have heard it said that this phenomenon of hearing a person's name spoken...and then walking

away and forgetting it is quite common...and for a specific reason.  We forget because...as the

name is spoken, we are not truly paying attention to what is being said to us...our mind may be wandering

or already we're focused on what we  "what to say next."  So, I've found that if I pay attention and repeat the

name to myself...I'll  fare better in trying to remembering it in the future.:)

On that I have to agree. When that happens to me, I try to backtrack what I was doing at the time. And, usually there was something  going on that took my attention. And that goes back to the age thing.  That didn't used to happen to me. :( Oh well. We only get (shudder) "old" once in this system right? :D

46 minutes ago, ElizaJane said:

On that I have to agree. When that happens to me, I try to backtrack what I was doing at the time. And, usually there was something  going on that took my attention. And that goes back to the age thing.  That didn't used to happen to me. :( Oh well. We only get (shudder) "old" once in this system right? :D

Correctamundo!B)