JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

Worldly functions

I wonder if at some point we will be instructed that its a good idea to stop attending worldly functions? Things like sporting events, entertainment parks, concerts etc. Places where the majority of people attending are not witnesses. Places where the players, actors, musicians etc are not witnesses. I wonder if at some point we will be instructed to cut off all not essential association with the world. Like other than work or shopping for food or preaching. Just thinking here. Comments?

Peace...... Love...... &....... Paradise...... :heart:  :heart:  :heart: 

Why?

There is a level of protection by segregating yourself from people but it limits any opportunities to preach...

Edited by Tortuga
CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, normaclutter said:

I wonder if at some point we will be instructed that its a good idea to stop attending worldly functions? Things like sporting events, entertainment parks, concerts etc. Places where the majority of people attending are not witnesses. Places where the players, actors, musicians etc are not witnesses. I wonder if at some point we will be instructed to cut off all not essential association with the world. Like other than work or shopping for food or preaching. Just thinking here. Comments?

Things like ENTERTAINMENT are matters of conscience. I strongly doubt if at any point we will be told specifically what to watch or not. We use Bible principles when selecting entertainment. For example, i love watching soccer, but i have chosen not to watch from stadia. I watch from my tv even when my favorite team is playing in my home city. At such events, people are emotional, violent, they use bad language etc.

I do not want to be exposed to such an environment. 

Talk of a concert, are we sure of all the songs that will be played there? 

Now we should be able to use our trained conscience to make decisions. We can not expect a LAW in that regard.

It is not important where we serve nor in what capacity but, rather, whom we serve. MARKUS HARTLIEF

2 hours ago, normaclutter said:

It means that I shouldnt got classes back then when I was younger, not to have friends who is in the world, not to hear anything from tv who were mostly worldly people. I always like the thought of it but Paul said when what he want to do its not his will. It mean he is weak in doing spiritually perfect. We are grateful to the ransom and the example Jesus laid about the law is not to be subject on anything in the world but just love Jehovah and also neighbor as ourselves sis normaclutter :)

All glory and praises goes to Jehovah :) 

The way things are going they I could see them warning us against any large public places like theaters, shopping malls and may even have to have smaller assemblies/conventions - not out of association but out of safety precaution as dangerous as things are getting.

I live in a temporary reality- awaiting the day I wake up to life in the real world!

I guess the reason I was curious about others views is the recent replaying of the basement video. How it seems that the world had gone completely mad. Perhaps I was imagining a time even closer to the end. And I didn't say they laid down a law. I agree each person should use their own bible trained conscience. Last night at our meeting they talked about obedience.  Even when it seems as if it doesn't make a whole lot of sense at the time. Each time in history when Jehovah brought about large change his people literally separated from the world. I am just curious to see if their may be a modern day parallel. They listened to the direction of the body governing at that time. I wonder what kind of instructions we will have. 

17 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Why?

There is a level of protection by segregating yourself from people but it limits any opportunities to preach...

Perhaps after the preaching work is done. Maybe when a message of judgement starts. 

3 minutes ago, normaclutter said:

Maybe when a message of judgement starts. 

When that time comes, the GT will already be well underway. I'm not so sure that anyone, Witness or not, is going to even think about attending public events during that time.