JWTalk - Jehovah's Witnesses Online Community

China getting tough with NK

We lock topics that are over 365 days old, and the last reply made in this topic was 2372 days ago. If you want to discuss this subject, we prefer that you start a new topic.

http://www.watoday.com.au/world/china-orders-north-korean-companies-in-the-country-out-by-january-20170928-gyqzc7.html?promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=NTY3NjYxMw&eid=email:nnn-13omn652-ret_newsl-membereng:nnn-04%2F11%2F2013-news_am-dom-news-nnn-watoday-u&campaign_code=13INO006&et_bid=29097642&list_name=2142_wa_today_news_update&instance=2017-09-29--02-34--UTC

China has given North Korean companies operating in China 120 days to close, including joint ventures with Chinese firms.

The decision is a significant toughening of Beijing's dealings with North Korea, which operates restaurants and even art galleries in Chinese cities to generate foreign currency that is sent back to Pyongyang.

North Korea has about 100 restaurants in China, staffed by North Korean waitresses, generating millions of dollars in revenue.

China's announcement confirms its backing for the latest UN Security Council sanctions on North Korea

Interesting how China is looking more Westwards these days.  Wonder how Russia feels about that.

Plus there's this:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/national/former-top-pentagon-official-says-australia-must-prepare-for-n-korea-attack/news-story/d4b852d57b43ab3210401de801c77f53?utm_source=emarsys&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PerthNow+AM+update+29%2F9%2F17

AUSTRALIA must develop greater missile defences in the event of a strike from North Korea.

That’s the advice from Dr Brad Roberts, who served as US deputy assistant secretary of defence for nuclear and missile defence policy between 2009 and 2013.

Dr Roberts said Australia could be hit by a North Korean missile. (The top end of Australia is within range of Mr Kim's missiles but maybe he has forgotten we are here. After all, we are easily missed. :lol:).

Don't give up .. it's just around the corner.

Thanks Terri for posting the videos and the above text regarding China and North

Korea...there was a lot of meaty information in the articles.  It seems that China

has...somewhat caved...as regards their willingness to stick with North Korea and Kim Jong-un.  Since China could see their economy affected because of their relationship with North Korea , it's a solid guess

that the latest U.N. Sanctions have gotten China's attention and a schism may develope between these two nations. (China/North Korea)

I'll be watching with interest as further events come to the fore....I could be off base, but, I don't feel

this is an inconsequential development...it could evolve into something much more important...or not:confused:

Edited by nanceebgd46

China has traditionally backed North Korea to keep a buffer zone between the US-friendly South Korea and its border. But China is currently the least interested in a war between US and NK since the US is its best market. Actually no one would benefit from such a war. Both Koreas would be reduced to ashes, Japan would be affected as many other islands in the Pacific, and China would have to stop shipping their unnumerable containers of goods to America and waste money instead in the war effort. Not to mention that Chinese and American economies are closely intertwined since China owns a lot of American debt.

I very much doubt that China will allow the Beloved Leader to start such a war. If these measures don't dissuade him, I think he will simply be murdered by Chinese agents and replaced by a puppet leader.

7 hours ago, nanceebgd46 said:

I'll be watching with interest as further events come to the fore....I could be off base, but, I don't feel

this is an inconsequential development...it could evolve into something much more important...or not:confused:

I do agree with Carlos that the response from China is for economic reasons first and foremost.  However, like you, I feel that this could actually start a different chain of events. 

1 hour ago, carlos said:

China has traditionally backed North Korea to keep a buffer zone between the US-friendly South Korea and its border. But China is currently the least interested in a war between US and NK since the US is its best market. Actually no one would benefit from such a war. Both Koreas would be reduced to ashes, Japan would be affected as many other islands in the Pacific, and China would have to stop shipping their unnumerable containers of goods to America and waste money instead in the war effort. Not to mention that Chinese and American economies are closely intertwined since China owns a lot of American debt.

I very much doubt that China will allow the Beloved Leader to start such a war. If these measures don't dissuade him, I think he will simply be murdered by Chinese agents and replaced by a puppet leader.

Plus Australia sales huge amount of minerals and gas to China. 

Chinese depend on those minerals to supply their factories 

Australia is US ally and both will play same card

War is not an option for China at all. 

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

32 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

I do agree with Carlos that the response from China is for economic reasons first and foremost.  However, like you, I feel that this could actually start a different chain of events. 

Russia just had meeting with NK and offered mediation services 

They claim that talks were positive

Man was created as an intelligent creature with the desire to explore and understand :)

6 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

Russia, a mediator between the US and NK??  That's an interesting move.

I had read awhile back that Russia wanted to be the one to mediate, it would show the world they were better at it than the US. 

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

I had read awhile back that Russia wanted to be the one to mediate, it would show the world they were better at it than the US. 

I decided to look further into this as I hadn't heard anything about it and I came across this. I didn't realise that Russia had stepped into the breach. It is quite a long article and there was a lot I could have added but the bit at the end was most interesting. Not that we don't already know about Russia's desire for power but ......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2017/07/26/why-is-putin-backing-north-korea-to-build-up-russia-as-a-great-power/?utm_term=.cc9e815a60fd

Why is Putin backing North Korea? To build up Russia as a great power.

1. Russia wants to prove it’s a better international broker than the United States

2. Russia is trying to reinforce its image at home as a great power 

3. Russia wants to lead the nations that resist what they see as U.S. diplomatic and military coercion

And so when China halted energy exports to the DPRK, Russia has stepped into the gap left — and has since positioned itself as the rogue country’s leading international ally. Toward that end, the Kremlin has invested in the North Korea’s infrastructure and in technical cooperation with Pyongyang.

As a result of these investments, Russia has drawn support from a number of traditionally anti-Western countries, like Cuba and Iran — which sided with Russia on Syria and backed its 2014 annexation in Crimea. Putin’s North Korea strategy helps him expand and cement Russia’s network of allies.

In short, Russia wants to be, and be seen as, a great power. It wants to lead the nations that resist Western power and influence. In defying the United Nations and supporting North Korea, Russia bolsters that status at home and abroad.

7 minutes ago, GeordieGirl said:

In short, Russia wants to be, and be seen as, a great power.

That sounds like the article that I read. I think I speculated earlier that Russia may be using NK as a pawn so Russia could step in and save the day...

CAUTION: The comments above may contain personal opinion, speculation, inaccurate information, sarcasm, wit, satire or humor, let the reader use discernment...:D

2 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

That sounds like the article that I read. I think I speculated earlier that Russia may be using NK as a pawn so Russia could step in and save the day...

KON :)

Just now, Gregexplore said:

KON :)

I think the timing is interesting.  Russia possibly affected the presidential election to keep Clinton out of office and ensure there is a bombastic president, then suddenly NK makes remarkable advances in their missile program.

After Trump predictably makes a scene, Russia steps to the plate to laugh at the US and fixes everything. ..

7 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

I think the timing is interesting.  Russia possibly affected the presidential election to keep Clinton out of office and ensure there is a bombastic president, then suddenly NK makes remarkable advances in their missile program.

After Trump predictably makes a scene, Russia steps to the plate to laugh at the US and fixes everything. ..

Agree. 

Russia is very active in Syria too.